Fountain Pen recommendation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocelot55

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about getting a nice fountain pen for myself. I've been using a Lamy Safari for about a year and a half now with no complaints. I really just want something that feels a little more solid, a flawless performer, and with a classy look to it. I can't afford a Montblanc, but I do own a Waterman Hemisphere I like, but the nib size is too big.

Anyway, my budget is around $100 or so. Any recommendations?

Kick the budget up 40-50 and buy a used Sailor 1911 full sized ... or a mid sized new.

IMAG0031-1.jpg

IMAG0032-1.jpg

Sailor 1911 (fullsize, before there was a fullsize) Black, Rhodium Trim, 21k gold (rhodium plated ) XF nib

didn't notice the dust til it was posted... lol.. I don't use it much due to work. Noway is it going into a truck.

Thanks, PB. $150 is definitely reasonable. I've spent more on pipes. :mrgreen: I'll check them out.

Any other suggestions?

A smaller pen but just as much character.

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

The Schaeffer Snorkel. Make sure to buy it in restored condition.. self restore on these are a bitch.

For a nice inexpensive pen, look at HISNIBS. His pens are inexpensive, but he hand calibrates each nib to make sure they work well. I bought the Black Dreadnaught from him and use it all the time. I've never had a problem with it. This particular pen is a copy of the infamous Mont Blanc. It's a hefty solid pen.

Here are a few pics:

JinhaoBlackDreadnaughtPosted_small.jpg

JinhaoBlackDreadnaughtMain_small.jpg

This one shows the MB it was copied after:

JinhaoBlackDreadnaughtComparePosted_small.jpg

JinhaoBlackDreadnaughtCapPen3_small.jpg

Plus, it has a syringe method which can also be converted to cartridge. I personally like the syringe approach.

JinhaoBlackDreadnaughtConverter_small.jpg

Oh, and he's extremely nice to work with.

You mean converter fill..

Anyway.. I disagree., Other than the Stipula, Monteverde, and Conklins he has little worth looking at in the catagory Ocelot is looking into.

I'm not saying his cheap pens aren't worth having, I have quite a few Chinese pens.. But the OP didn't ask for a cheap pen.

The Lamy Safari should get some sort of award. It's tied, in my book, with the Waterman Phileas as being the best bang for the buck in the fountain pen world. Amazing quality for the price. It's a really good pen, but not a great one.

I'll echo PB's first suggestion. The Sailor 1911 is a superb writer. As far as I can tell, no one offers smoother nibs out of the box than Sailor. They're very well constructed with good feeds, excellent inner caps, and decent converters. I've got both a full-size and the mid-size, and they're both simply stellar pens.

I'm very partial to Pelikans, and have quite a few of them, both modern and antique. They're spendy, but you can often find really good used ones, sometimes fully restored, sometimes in just excellent original condition. Older ones have cork pistons, and these sometimes get dry and brittle, requiring replacement, but newer ones are durable rubber. The Pelikans are not quite as smooth, stock, as the Sailors, but they generally have just the right feel and ink flow to suit me. I actually like a bit of tooth in the nibs. But, what really makes them my first choice when I grab a pen is the piston fillers. They hold a good supply of ink, especially the larger ones. Additionally, their inner cap is superb. I can leave one of my Pelikans sitting for months, pick it up, and start writing with it instantly. The Sailors are almost as good.

The Souverain series is available in several sizes, from the diminutive 300 series to the massive (and expensive) 1000. The nibs are interchangeable, and there are a couple of guys who can suppl you with customisation to turn it into your dream pen. I like John Mottishaw (nibs.com), but Richard Binder is also highly regarded for his nib work.

If you buy any pen from nibs.com, John will set the feed according to your preference, which is nice. You can also look through the various brands he has on offer. He's a picky guy, and has been in the pen repair end of things long enough to know what's good and what's not.

I've had a lot of cheap Chinese pens. Some of them write very well, some of them have been dreadful. I've done mods on some of them to improve them, and they've actually ended up being very good writers. But, the absolutely worst thing about every one of them (I've had about a dozen different ones) is that their inner cap is useless, and the nibs dry out in a matter of days. As an experiment, in fact, I filled one, capped it, and let it sit for a couple weeks. Nearly all the ink in the converter had evaporated, and it took a thorough cleaning to get the thing to write again. Cheap, but not recommended unless you just like to play with them.

puros_bran":k7zshi9m said:
You mean converter fill..

Anyway.. I disagree., Other than the Stipula, Monteverde, and Conklins he has little worth looking at in the catagory Ocelot is looking into.

I'm not saying his cheap pens aren't worth having, I have quite a few Chinese pens.. But the OP didn't ask for a cheap pen.
I agree with you disagreeing with me. :D There's no substitute for a nice pen, and that's what Jesse was asking for. I've used Pelikan and Mont Blancs, and they write nice and feel like quality. I know Jesse a bit and was trying to offer him an alternative to spending more, in case he was so inclined. I've been so thoroughly happy with how my pen writes, that I just wanted to throw it out there. It definitely has a cheaper feel, but it writes like a champ.

Thanks for all the responses guys. A Pelikan would be awesome, but I can't justify spending that much on a pen. Every time I try to buy used I get burned so I think they are out.

Sounds like the Sailor 1911 is a real winner. (I guess I could get one to match my Springfield 1911 :mrgreen: )

Thanks for the link, Brian. I think it is incredible that he adjusts all the nibs before sending them out. Where do you find that kind of customer service these days? Too bad he doesn't carry the Sailor.

Ocelot55":lprtf7eq said:
Thanks for all the responses guys. A Pelikan would be awesome, but I can't justify spending that much on a pen. Every time I try to buy used I get burned so I think they are out.

Sounds like the Sailor 1911 is a real winner. (I guess I could get one to match my Springfield 1911 :mrgreen: )

Thanks for the link, Brian. I think it is incredible that he adjusts all the nibs before sending them out. Where do you find that kind of customer service these days? Too bad he doesn't carry the Sailor.
As I mentioned, John Mottishaw also adjusts the pens he sells for your personal style, and carries the Sailors.

http://www.nibs.com/Sailor1911MidSizeSeries.html

He's also an excellent source for used stuff, because he goes through them thoroughly. I know what you mean about getting burned, but the more reputable pen guys deserve the reputations they've earned.

Perfect! Thanks, Greg.

BTW, its good to see you show up from time to time. I think it's been a while since I saw you post last. Only when you're needed of course...like some kind of wizard...ninja...tobacco blender. :mrgreen:

Ocelot55":8w0qm5rt said:
Perfect! Thanks, Greg.

BTW, its good to see you show up from time to time. I think it's been a while since I saw you post last. Only when you're needed of course...like some kind of wizard...ninja...tobacco blender. :mrgreen:
I'm Batman…

...or just batty... :D :cheers:

Until I spend a good three years improving my handwriting, I'm sticking with old typewriters for my throwback methods unto the written word.

Speaking of which, do any of you write script or have any intent to learn? I know a few fountainophiles who either have or plan on this.

I've fiddled around with quite a few fonts. I was never able to write very good with the Palmer method I was taught in school. I'd like to get more into italics.

Parker makes a solid pen well within your rice range.

Parker Sonnet Red Lacquer GT Fountain Pen.. $99
Product_DT_12005.JPG

Bullwinkle":u95jsmg3 said:

Product_DT_12005.JPG
I've never had any luck with Parker products. Granted, most of the Parker pens I've used were lower grade. The experience has colored me negatively against the brand. Too bad too. It would be cool to match a Parker fountain pen with my older Parker pipes!

This Parker did make me look twice, though:

Product_DT_15035.JPG

Bullwinkle":v9cao8s9 said:

Product_DT_12005.JPG
The Sonnet is a sweet pen, for sure, with a nice, somewhat flexible nib. But, it's got that inner cap issue. Since I don't tend to use the same pen every day, it's important to me that it not dry out between uses. My Sonnet does not fall into that category.

(Yes. I'm slightly insane. When I had a real job, and disposable income, I bought a mess-o-pens, some new, some vintage, and enjoy them all. Pens are as bad as pipes, only people don't screw up their faces and do that obnoxious false-coughing dance of the hands when you use them.)

When you start getting into vintage stuff, you're really in trouble. You could have a whole collection, for instance, of the variants on the Eversharp Skyline, or the Shaeffer Tuckaway,.

And, then there's ink. Just like tobacco. I have my faves, but every time a new colour appears that I like, I have to have it. I hear Diamine is coming out with a set of 12 based on Composers. Saving my pocket change…

I wish you luck.

I collect pipes, tobacco, fountain pens and ink. I have pens priced between $5 and $600. I have seen an SD Dupont fp auctioned off for $25K (missed that one :)) I have practiced calligraphy since I was a kid and I love the way a good pen writes. I also often ponder the difference between a collector and a hoarder. :face:

Brother Pease!!! It's great to know that such an illustrious blender of fine tobacco is also a collector of finer writing instruments. I have many Sonnets in my collection and my favorites are the Cisele's. Those 18K nibs feel like soft butter on the page and this pen seems to float along.

You mentioned the cap issue, have you tried a Pilot Vanishing Point fountain pen. They've come up with an ingenious way of devising a capless fountain pen where then nib does not dry out.