Free TV and Movies - No Credit Card

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally from the (sadly) now-defunct ubergeek.tv site. :mrgreen:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9GO3mccvTCs" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

newjok12.png

Linux is easy as pie. Keep in mind that I am a Unix weenie and have used Linux, FreeBSD, IRIX, Solaris, AIX, and of all of these, Ubuntu is about the easiest to install. I use it in conjunction with xfce and use Virtual Box to run an instance of XP which I will use for the very few sites that require Exploder.

DrumsAndBeer":pebyuk2l said:
Linux is as easy as pie, and you don't need to be a guru to run it on any standard desktop box. Take a desktop unit, install a base load of Unbuntu. Install VMWare for Unbuntu on top of that. Create a Virtual Windows machine within VMWare using your existing Windows install discs - here's your main "comfort zone" computer, keep it patched like you normally would, hell run MWBytes, and MS Security Essentials for virus/malware (Free and free). However, load an installation of FireFox for Unbuntu on the base Linux load and surf away. If you run into issues with websites in the FF browser through Linux, I never have btw, Surf the web through the Windows machine, but limit your surfing to known sites.
:suspect: WTF? (Facepalm, throbbing in temples, cyanide capsule within reach).

Mac, Sophos antivirus, no issues. Why would you want to go to all that trouble? :x

Puff Daddy said:
DrumsAndBeer":6rgar32e said:
Mac, Sophos antivirus, no issues. Why would you want to go to all that trouble? :x
Easy security without the expenses you can run into purchasing a Mac. Macs are great, I enjoy mine. Running Windows on Linux via Virtual Box is a nice inexpensive way to have a familiar Windows GUI, without the headaches of your system being a constant virus/malware magnet.

And tgwilt is correct, Unbuntu is the easiest to install, and it's pretty friendly with driver matching for garden variety chip sets and hardware designed for Windows flavors.

How do you like Sophos? We run a Sophos spam filter at work, it's a nice piece of software. I like their mail encryption system.

tgwilt":50y9tlxx said:
Linux is easy as pie. Keep in mind that I am a Unix weenie and have used Linux, FreeBSD, IRIX, Solaris, AIX, and of all of these, Ubuntu is about the easiest to install. I use it in conjunction with xfce and use Virtual Box to run an instance of XP which I will use for the very few sites that require Exploder.
I loved Linux, and Ubuntu until version 11.0. What a dog. Shame it was screwed up so badly.

DrumsAndBeer":0w0rdj8z said:
... How do you like Sophos? We run a Sophos spam filter at work, it's a nice piece of software. I like their mail encryption system.
The free Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac is a no-brainer. It auto-updates its malware definitions and stays out of your face with very low CPU usage. It includes an "On-Access Scanning" feature that runs a daemon called Intercheck that can slow your downloads (as you'd expect). So, when I'm downloading a large file from a source I trust, I turn off On-Access Scanning until the download completes, and then scan the file afterward.

But that's a personal preference. In general, the program runs very unobtrusively in the background. It's intuitive and very easy to use. It's amazing that it's a free app; I'd gladly pay for it.

BTW, if you don't already subscribe, I recommend Sophos NakedSecurity—a free daily security newsletter that provides valuable info on all the latest security news. Occasionally they write some in depth technical articles, but for the most part the articles are NOT written in geekspeak. They define their terms, and provide clear, easy-to-understand explanations of all the subjects they cover. It's a great way to get your daily booster shot of security awareness, no matter what platform you use.

:joker:

What Vito said.

It runs quietly and effectively, and it's so good it's hard to believe it's free.

The problem is, if your Mac system is past code date, you've got to get a whole newer version. In which case, Mackeeper seems to work well for pretty cheap.

(At least if it doesn't, I'm not geeky enough to know it).

:face:
IGNORANCE MAY NOT BE BLISS
BUT IT'S WORKED WELL SO FAR