Freehands vs Classics...which do you prefer?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tleek

Reaction score
Im a classic man myself. But I do have one freehand.

Love 'em both, but many freehands end up looking quite similar. I'll always have a few in rotation, but I'm not obsessed with 'em, unless they're particularly unique.

I don't like freehands. Too many of them look like a lump. I didn't feel this way until this year. In my collection of 50 there are at most 2 or 3. I don't mind a variation on a standard theme, however.

Free Hands! Some classics like a full bent but, most of the remind me of Golf Clubs without imagination. A little rustication here and some outrageous grain there and I can maybe like one but, on the norm, NO.

Classics me, but I do have a couple of freehands.

Actually the classic shapes seem to be lighter and are easier to smoke.... wait for it....

....hands free. :geek:

I Love my Freehands, Classic shapes are fine and I like them but not as much as the Freehands.
Best Regards
Richard

Classics, in general, but there are exceptions. My favorite shape is a billiard, but 99% of billiards look too plain-jane, with boring, unartful lines. Likewise, most freehands look like lumps, but every once in a while you see one shaped by a genius of line, esthetics, and balance. But I have yet to buy one.

MisterE":7mo9xp72 said:
Classics me, but I do have a couple of freehands.

Actually the classic shapes seem to be lighter and are easier to smoke.... wait for it....

....hands free. :geek:
Ba-dump! , he's got a million of them ladies & gentlemen!

I'm also a classic guy myself....

All my pipes are classic shapes. I would like to add a free hand. Preferably a Nording.

I guess that is a question of what you are calling a freehand. Many artisan makers pipes are freehands, ie, they are not made on a lathe. Doesn't matter what the shape is. Am guessing you are talking about the artistic definition as in the pipes popular in the eighties. Large V shaped plateau topped in the Danish style. I have an old Ben Wade which is the only one I have kept in this style, otherwise I prefer the more conventional, but freehand shapes and makers.

I like and have both, but I do lean towards Freehands. For some reason I'm a sucker for anything with plateau, regardless as to style.

jlong":afwcxgth said:
All my pipes are classic shapes. I would like to add a free hand. Preferably a Nording.
My one and only freehand is a Nording.
Its a pretty good smoker, but huge and heavy as hell ha.

I'm a sucker for the classics myself. The closest thing to a freehand I own is a Stannie 63. One thing I do absolutely love about freehands is the use of the plateau, I wish more makes would use it in their classic shapes.

I have yet to see a freehand that I absolutely had to have. Not to say I dislike them outright though, just that none have that "wow" factor. At least until this point.

Cheers,

RR

.... considering almost 3/4 of my pipes are Bulldogs or a variation with the rest nice big saddle-bit Pots. I do have 6 Charatan "Freehands and 2 Executive's though :)