Freemason and Dan Brown's Lost Symbol

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the macdonald

Reaction score
I am currently Reading, The Lost Symbol, by Dan Brown. As a Freemason I felt I ought to read it to know what all the hype is about, and now only half way through it I am dying to know if there are any other Brothers that have or are reading it and what they think of it.

I haven't read this one, but I somehow finished The Da Vinci Code, and I almost got through a chapter and a half of Angels & Demons. I find his writing style almost painful, and his concepts are largely ripped off wholesale from other books, especially in the Da Vinci Code. Having given him two chances, I will not be reading this book.

Those who read these books seem to either seek adventure or history. For those pursuing the latter, I recommend Mother Night, by Kurt Vonnegut. Set in post-WWI America, an American spy doubling as a Nazi propagandist attempts to come to terms with his role by evaluating which side he helped more.

TommyTree":0s0obycv said:
I haven't read this one, but I somehow finished The Da Vinci Code, and I almost got through a chapter and a half of Angels & Demons. I find his writing style almost painful, and his concepts are largely ripped off wholesale from other books, especially in the Da Vinci Code. Having given him two chances, I will not be reading this book.

Those who read these books seem to either seek adventure or history. For those pursuing the latter, I recommend Mother Night, by Kurt Vonnegut. Set in post-WWI America, an American spy doubling as a Nazi propagandist attempts to come to terms with his role by evaluating which side he helped more.
Here, here! My biggest beef with this book is the total lack of writing in it. If I didn’t feel like it was required reading, I would have left it at the bookstore. I read Angels and Demons, which I thought was “OK” for what it is, but I have about a hundred pages left in the Lost Symbol, and it has been completely predictable. There has been minor surprises but the plot is transparent, the characters one dimensional functions of the plot, and writing itself is read like a movie script.

But has anyone used the plexiglas window from an exploded airplane as a parachute to float safely to the ground? I think Dan Brown peaked with that whimsical little climax. (Too sarcastic? I didn't think so either.)

TommyTree":jtx2sx1n said:
But has anyone used the plexiglas window from an exploded airplane as a parachute to float safely to the ground? I think Dan Brown peaked with that whimsical little climax. (Too sarcastic? I didn't think so either.)
Personally, I don't think there is enough sarcasm to properly "deal" with this book, but that is only my humble opinion. A few Brothers in my Lodge liked the book, but I am not one of them. I think the climax is even worse than Angels and Demons, and I am an unrepentant Ian Fleming/James Bond fan.

the macdonald, or rather, bro. the macdonald, I didn't know you were a brother! Always fun meeting fellows of the craft and learning that people you already knew, or knew of, are Freemasons.

I read the book, picked it up the day it came out. I finished it in two days. I thought it was okay. Not great, not horrible, somewhat enjoyable. I thought chapter four was a very good representation of Freemasonry for the public.

My hope is that the book will entice folks to inquire into the order and maybe boost our membership a little. I have already noticed a little bit of that here in Oklahoma were we have a large number of 20-30 year olds very interested in Freemasonry.

I read it, I'd say a better read is Born In Blood. Better history.