Fribourg & Treyer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmess

Reaction score
Does anyone smoke their blends?
I was thinking about ordering some cut virginia plug, vintage, and blackjack.
Any advice? The more I use tobaccoreviews the more annoyed I seem to get.

Bill

All of the blends have a good reputation, but if I remember correctly the Cut Virginia Plug has the best. Never smoked any.

TRs is fickle. I've read reviews on a tobacco that didn't settle into anything concrete in my head while others have. It's the luck of the draw as regards the expertise of those who've written about a tobacco about which you want to know. I get periods when I'm downright disgusted with it and won't go there.

I recently bought 3 tins of cut plug and in spite of TR reviews I really enjoyed it! I found all the things you expect from a brown virginia flake. It's not as strong as FVF but it has all the flavors, just a bit more subdued.

I started smoking FVF as a daily diet because it was available in bulk and cheap, about $3 0r $4per ounce, but those days are gone and I have been looking for alternatives.

Some I have found and enjoyed quite a bit are Orlik's golden sliced, GLP Montgomery and Union Station, Buteras RV Golden Cake, McC Epitome (a club blend), and Quantum, not a flake, but very good.

I really believe that anyone who thinks they would like to be a pipe smoker should delve into the world of Virginias. If you can learn to smoke them, you can handle anything else, blendwise!

I got my Cut Plug from pipesandcigars.com, but you might find it also at 4Noggins and Mars Cigar, all three are excellent to do business with and offer shipping deals with volume orders as well as great service and prices, about 1/2 what a B&M locally would charge me, if they had it in stock.

I haven't smoke any of Fribourg and Treyer's blends but have used a lot of their nasal snuff and it is some of the finest in the world. If their blends are anywhere nearly as good they would be very fine indeed.

Smokey

I have Blackjack and Cut Blended Plug and like them considerably. Haven't yet tried, but also have, Golden Mixture and Vintage (Virginia). GM was Bertrand Russell's favorite and almost exclusive pipe tobacco throughout his life, but I don't know how similar the modern version might be to what he smoked.

I've enjoyed F&T's Vintage for a while now. "Gold and Brown VAs, full bodied and tangy" just like the tin description says.

Just got some Blackjack but haven't opened it yet.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":ac9g14ip said:
I've enjoyed F&T's Vintage for a while now. "Gold and Brown VAs, full bodied and tangy" just like the tin description says.

Just got some Blackjack but haven't opened it yet.

Cheers,

RR
I like Blackjack.
For a laugh, peel off the Blackjack label.
:shock:

Hermit":cexzktbw said:
I like Blackjack.
For a laugh, peel off the Blackjack label.
:shock:
And I thought the British and Europeans were more politically correct than we were.

Dear folks!
Iam smoking F&T Evans Blend right now.
A blend of golden Virginia and black Virginia.
It has a nice gentle sweetness when you smoke it.
Nothing taste funny or artificial to it.
Burns slow all the way to the finish.
It looks like that this blend will be in my
Rotation with S&G FVF.
To me personal it's a "sleeper"
Recommended!

For me this is the most cohesive K&K owned property. The whole series is good and nothing is out of place. I especially like CVP, Blackjack and CBP.

I have often looked at their line of tobacco and thought it sounded right up my alley.

In a wonderful bit of briarly synchronicity, I picked up a tin of F&T's Waterloo No. 2 when I was in my local B&M this afternoon. Will report back after I've cracked it, though it may be a while--so many blends, so little time! I took a chance on it because it's an English blend that still uses Syrian latakia, which is my favorite. Also grabbed a tin of Solani's Black & White for the same reason--Solani recently ran out of Syrian so they're switching over to Cyprian, but I'm hoping this was an older tin...and if it's tasty, it doesn't much matter either way!

CVP is quite nice. I enjoyed it much more than Dunhill Flake. I while I know that they're a bit different in terms of the type of VA used, stylistically they're in the same class. CVP is a more memorable smoke.

F&T Cut Blended Plug is one of my regular smokes. It's a bit fuller and sweeter than the Cut Virginia Plug, and I prefer it to that one, though both are good mild Virginia flakes.

Haven't had a Fribourg & Treyer blend I haven't liked.  Extremely high quality tobaccos presented beautifully in a classic rectangular tin.
So far I've tried Cut Virginia Plug, Cut Blended Plug, Golden Mixture, and Special Brown Flake - all terrific & I would highly recommend any one.