Frog Morton Across the Pond

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illiteratti

Reaction score
Another tobacco I purchased looking for suitable smokes while my favorite Sam Gawith blends are non existant. I had read reviews that led me to believe that this is an English blend, so I bought it.

I opened the tin, smelled it and was disappointed as it smells nothing like a typical English blend. It smells something like it is cased in a liquor or something, a scent that I cannot exactly pin down. I smelled no latakia, just some scent very similar to A1 steak sauce.

I thought I'd give it a try. So I loaded my pipe, moisture was just slightly wet, but still had no problems keeping my pipe lit.

This is one of those tobaccos that taste very much like it smells. It is a very good quality tobacco just as all McClelland tobaccos are, but just not what I am looking for in taste. I had hoped that after a few bowls of this stuff it would grow on me, but it hasn't, unfortunately.

Bottom line...quality tobacco, unusual flavor, not even a hint of latakia as the tin claims. This is one of those tobaccos that you should sample first if you have the option before buying.

I'm certainly no expert, but didn't smell anything like A-1. This was my first tobacco purchase (last Saturday) and it smoked cooler than the 2 samples I tried when I bought the pipe a few days earlier (3 Oaks Syrian and Maltese Falcon).

Maybe there might be something amiss with the tin I got? I smelled it again and it smells remarkably like A1 and some sort of liquor, but the A1 really comes through when I smell it. Now if you were to tell me yours smells anything like an English or maybe even somewhat smoky, then I would know that there is something up with my tin.

Don't get me wrong, it has all the properties of a great tobacco, but the taste is not to my liking. McClelland puts out great tobacco, I just cannot smoke a lot of them because most that I have tried bit my tongue pretty bad. This one did smoke cool, and was never got too bitter, and supprisingly did not bite my tongue. I am pretty sure the tongue bite issue is my own fault for not sipping the smoke like I should be.

If you find that you like this tobacco, you should really be grateful. It seems to be an easy tobacco to aquire and at a reasonable price. I unfortunately had to fall in love with a tobacco that is so hard to find this year.