Frog Morton and PS Luxury Bullseye Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick

Reaction score
Frog Morton is the second latakia based blend I've tried so far (Star of the East was the first). And I have to say my experience with latakia hasn't been what I expected it would be like so far. I love how spicy and full tasting SOTE is. It almost seems to me like it would be the Mexican food of pipe tobacco. And I can also detect the campfire sort of taste many people often talk about when referring to latakia. But it hasn't been overwhelming to my tastebuds in the least! In fact, the burly-based blends and many of Virgina blends I've tried so far have been more overwhelming to my taste buds.

Frog Morton has been unlike any other tobacco I've smoked. It actually has sort of a milky taste. And I can still detect a little bit of the earthy latakia taste coming through and a hint of spiciness, but the flavor comes up a little flat. I love how much smoke this tobacco produces, it packs nicely, it's mild in the nicotine content, and has just the right amount of moisture in the leaves. Definitely an enjoyable and interesting smoke, but I wish it had more flavor. I give it 7/10.

Luxury Bullseye Flake has been the latest of a handful of Virginia-based blends I've tried so far. It is a VaPer with a little bit of cavendish in it, and the flakes come in the shape of bullseyes! The flake can be easily unraveled in a circular manner, and it rubs out quite well. Packs nicely and smokes great. It has the intense fruity taste, characteristic of the Virginia blends I've tired so far, and balanced nicely with the perique content. It's mild to medium in the nicotine content, and his been a delightful smoke! 8/10 :D

I read some reviews of Luxury Bullseye Flake and it sounds very good.
I'd like to try some.
Will see if my B&M has some to check out.

Thx,
Tak

Tak":rq17fr83 said:
I'd like to try some.

Thx,
Tak
I actually ordered mine in bulk from smokingpipes.com, and they sell it for an excellent price! If you can't buy any from your B&M, I'd recommend ordering some. I've been very impressed with this blend so far.

Out of curiousity, has anyone else had a similar experience with Frog Morton or other latakia blends? What are your thoughts on it?

Patrick":wp2uklbi said:
Tak":wp2uklbi said:
I'd like to try some.

Thx,
Tak
I actually ordered mine in bulk from smokingpipes.com, and they sell it for an excellent price! If you can't buy any from your B&M, I'd recommend ordering some. I've been very impressed with this blend so far.

Out of curiousity, has anyone else had a similar experience with Frog Morton or other latakia blends? What are your thoughts on it?
PS Bullseye is one of my favorites. Great stuff. A mellower version of Escudo with Cavendish.

If you´re liking Lats, give SG Squadron Leader, DH Standard Medium and DH EMP a try. They´re all medium English blends that have relatively mild amounts of Latakia. (by English I mean containing Latakia and Va because there´s a lot of confusion there)

If you want to try Va/Lat with a little oriental in the mix (some people call these blends Balkans) give DH London Mixture and Presbyterian a try. Both are easily obtained.

Re: your Lux Bullseye Flake...if your B&M doesn't have it 'as such' it's very likely they will have it by a different name. If they will divulge what maker they use for the blends they say are their 'house' blends (likely more than one...like Lane, Stokkebye, McClelland, Cornell & Diehl, etc.) you can find your Bullseye with some house name on it. Just look for the right look thing...the bullseye form, and you'll most likley have it. I've seen some pretty cute names on it around the county...like 'Robin Hood' (in a town named Sherwood...pretty cute) and 'Target Master' (close to an Army base) and even 'Straight Shooter' (an Western USofA kinda thing I guess). But whatever it's called, you'll like it. And BTW: Luxury Twist Flake is a cousin of Bullseye and also worth your time.

And if you do like it...do yourself a favor and try some Bjarne "Flake DeLuxe" - which is a little sweeter and just as friendly. These three flakes...Luxury Bullseye, Escudo and Flake DeLuxe...are what I call, The Three Amigos! In a way they are very close to one another...as crossover flakes...very friendly and liked by almost everyone who tries them. And they are flakes that you can return to with enjoyment years into the future...no matter where you are on your 'journey'. Just sayin'.

And after those, you'll be on to Gawith & Hogarth's "Bob's Chocolate Flake" - universally adored. And then...and well, but those are stories for another day. lol

Thanks for the advice and tobacco recommendations, guys! I'll have to try those sometime.

Update on the Frog Morton: I smoked some today in a different pipe than what I had been smoking it in, and the flavors came through! I was getting worried for a little while because the first few times I smoked it, it seemed almost flavorless. I packed my some in my Stanwell today, and I was impressed. I'll have to try it in that pipe a few more times. If it smokes consistently good, I'll change my rating from 7/10 to 8/10.