Frog morton cellar to strong for me

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmen84

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]So I got my Frog morton cellar today and was very excited. I opened the tin and it smelt like bbq but very strong so I thought ok no big deal. I packed a bowl and lit my pipe to my surprise something very strong hit me like a brick after that it was kinda of light tasting but still very strong compared to my vanilla and butterscotch blend from the local shop. You have to keep in mind im new to pipe smoking did I pick the wrong fm? wife said i looked like i was going to lose my lunch any thoughts are welcomed.[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] I smoke cigarettes and am used to the nicotine [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]i try not to inhale pipe smoke but it was just plain out nasty. maybe it was the [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]latakia ?[/font]

If you're used to smoking aros then FM might be a huge leap into the world of Lat blends. Latakia is indeed smokey and sometimes takes a while to develop a palate for.

You might try setting it aside for a few months and come back to it later after you've gained some experience with stonger blends.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Holy smokes don't inhale Latakia. :no:

Cigarettes are made from tobacco that has been boiled down and the "tea" removed. They then create a tobacco leaf based paper and reintroduce the tea (now with additives) in a measured concentration then shred it.

Pipe tobacco is minimally processed and is not nor has ever been really designed to inhale. If you are going to inhale I would go with a lighter OTC Burley/Kentucky blend. From what I've read, when people inhale they usually only do once or twice to get their N.

MC blends are usually pretty mild in the vita N department. If you aren't inhaling and still get woozy, eat something first or smoke after a meal.

Regular Frog Morton is what people usually smoke to migrate from aromatics to English blends.

Hmmm. Well as mentioned above by Hereward, if you're inhaling even just a little, don't. The Frog's are good gateway latakia blends. Usually good blends for experiencing latakia for the first time, or for those who just like sweeter blends with a bit of smokiness. They are the mildest of the mild in wide world for Lat blends. I have felt a little green after smoking Nightcap, Billy Budd and even Ten Russians, but never after a Frog Morton Blend. Although I have never inhaled a Frog Morton blend either....;)

Im pretty sure i dident inhale  I could of but it just had a strong taste to it and it isent for me. I'll stick to my black vanilla and butterscotch blend for now its very light and nice room note to it. So fm will sit there till I find a home for it.

Don't feel as if you have "failed" in your experience with Latakia. It is a tobacco variety that does not sit well with many smokers, regardless of the amount in a blend! Aromatics are THE tobacco blends for many a smoker, just take a look at Rob_in_Missouri here, he's the Aro King of the brotherhood :p The whole idea of pipe smoking is to bring pleasure :p

No shame in being an aro lover, thats for sure. As for the FM, I recommend sticking it in a mason jar and sealing it. There is a real good chance that in the future you'll want to revisit it when your current aros are not hitting the mark.

Many brothers have taken that path.

One thing I'd like to add is that a lot of aromatics smell "pipey." They produce that quintessential aroma that drew so many of us into the hobby. I admire anyone that can smoke them and be satisfied, not experience tongue bite, & experience good flavors. The more I revisit various aromatic blends in my stash, the more I have come to realize that they are not for beginners. Of all all the types of blends out there aro's and straight VA's require the seasoned low and slow approach.

Give some thought to Frog Morton Across the Pond.  It seems like most folks stick it near or at the bottom of the Frog line, but I think it can really be fantastic.  It is understated, and fairly mild, but there is enough sweetness and smokiness from the Latakia that it's an interesting blend if you smoke it slow and cool.

Like Monbla has said before, find a tobacco you like and stick with it for a while (the tin). Learn what works with that blend, then venture out. There's a sticky on people's top choices. Find someone with similar tastes and try something in their list. Ask questions. We love to talk about tobacco!

You're going to get some tongue bite from time to time. And when it happens... you're doing it wrong or you're getting a chemical reaction. Note what you did and get advice. And keep up with your oral hygiene. You'll recover faster from inevitable misadventures.

It took me a decade of pipe smoking to actually enjoy latakia. Tasted vile, and smoky, not like tobacco at all but more like a camp fire, not my idea of something I wanted to smell, much less taste. But I kept coming back to it.

IMO, even Frogmorton may be too much for you, at first. If you haven't yet written latakia off completely, I would suggest a blend in which the latakia is barely there. Cornell & Diehl's "Yale Mixture" or their "Epiphany" come to mind, though these are not aromatics by any stretch.

Or stick to aromatics. What the hell difference does it make? I've been on the aromatics, then burley blends, then latakia blends, then straight virginia blends merry-go-round for decades. I call it that because I've just re-discovered aromatics. I remember why I fled from them, but they do smell good.

Gotta toughen up that tongue... FM's Cellar is probably one of the most innocent, halfway-decent aromatics out there.   

I was overwhelmed by certain blends at first, too.  I think we all were.  The thing was, I welcome flavor challenges--Latakia became an obsession as soon as I realized there was a point to the somewhat sour, smokey scent that came from it...I think the first one I tried was Squadron Leader. 

All it took was one puff.  I was hooked on Latakia.   I'm still getting surprised by it after almost two years now--but a good journey it is.