Frog Morton on the Bayou

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christeaux

Reaction score
I bought 100 grams of this about a year ago, locked it in my personal locker at work, and then lost the key. About two weeks ago I found the key and retrieved my tobacco. I got my chance to try it for the first time tonight and I loved it. It was incredibly smooth and slightly sweet, a little more mellow than some of the tobaccos I normally smoke, but well worth the wait. It is not going to replace my regular favorites, but it is definitely pretty high on my rotation.

the best of the frogs, imo

(well, except for the new "cellar" one, which I've not yet tried)

keen smoke":yucsaqq6 said:
the best of the frogs, imo

(well, except for the new "cellar" one, which I've not yet tried)
I found out about the cellar today, and I think that is going to be the first one I look for next time I head down to JR's.

Frog Morton, for having some bold advances in many areas with just a few tins, seems to win over people more often than not. Original Froggy is still my preference of them, but I do have to nod to On The Bayou only because the Perique didn't overwhelm me. It just wasn't something that made the fireworks go off.

Enjoy that forgotten tin. 8)

Hmmmm, this reminds me I am out of FM, FMOTT, FMOTB . . . luckily I will heading to Topsail NC in less then 2 weeks for our 17th anniversary. Make a quick detour to JR's in Selma/I-95 and do some loading up.

See if any of you FM fans can find Frog Morton's Cellar. It was a little sweet for me, and the flavor kind of fell flat, but someone out there's bound to love it. It's a curious aro.

Plus, free block of wood. :D It's like a cereal box with a toy inside. :

8)

Kyle Weiss":c4k1gu32 said:
See if any of you FM fans can find Frog Morton's Cellar. It was a little sweet for me, and the flavor kind of fell flat, but someone out there's bound to love it. It's a curious aro.

8)
Sounds like it's right up my alley. :lol:

Rob, it might be, but from the stuff I've tried that I know you like, I think you'll even find FMC a little flat. It's good, but it just doesn't have any backbone (and has little to do with it being an aro...McClelland knows how to make a quality aromatic).

Not sure what the deal was. Really light Burley base, soaked up the sugars/whiskey and when they burnt off, poof, no more flavor? :scratch:

Try some. You'll see.

8)

GeoffC":rsbg3vcr said:
Hmmmm, this reminds me I am out of FM, FMOTT, FMOTB . . . luckily I will heading to Topsail NC in less then 2 weeks for our 17th anniversary. Make a quick detour to JR's in Selma/I-95 and do some loading up.
Please let me know if you see any cellar there, I will not be heading back until late October. Have fun in topsail, we are going down there next spring, we have passed around there several times but never been, sneads ferry is about the furthest down the coast we have gone, we usually just head straight to Wilmington so that I can spend some time at a b&m down there called Davis and Sons.

I will let you know! They usually have McClelland and C&D pretty well stocked.

We stay in south Topsail at Sea Vista. You can walk to the end of the island from there which is mostly turtle/bird preserve. At night you feel like you are on the dark side of the moon. Very calming peaceful place.

Rob_In_MO":ln21zr9v said:
Kyle Weiss":ln21zr9v said:

8)
Sounds like it's right up my alley. :lol:
It sounds up my alley despite the bad reviews I have read thus far. I have a tin of it on the way here now and 4 staying home to age a bit. And, oh boy oh boy the fun I can have with a block of wood, someone is so losing an eye.

I did not realize it was an aromatic, and I am not a fan of aromatics at all, but having said that I am still open to trying it.

IMO I think the Frog Morton (and maybe most Craftsbury blends) are best experienced as an entry to English, Balkan, Latakia blends or by the occasional smoker. The biggest complaint is usually that Craftsbury blends are too mild. I love FM but if I'm smoking more often it does tend to be a little more bland. I'll find myself looking at the pipe wondering what I did wrong. I will typically hold off on my stronger Lat blends and go to FM first if I haven't smoked in a few weeks. The opposite goes for the blends I smoke like Blackhouse, a tough tiger to tackle for tender untempered taste buds.

I'd love to spend a week just going through each Craftsbury blend. Dunhill seems like another well thought out line. Limited but well balanced in their offerings.

Popped a tin of FMOTB early today and let it sit out for a bit to get some air to it and ready for smoking. Smelled like FM but not quite as strong. Loaded it up in my pipe and gave it a light.
Initial light was smooth but lacking in the kick that I have come to love from FM. Smoking through a large bowl of it and about 30 minutes in the tobacco has gone pretty flat on me. It's a tin from 2011 so it isn't "aged" but not brand new either. It has stayed lit and burning well despite me constantly putting it down. I can definitely taste the perique still but basically everything else is gone and all I am left with is a spicy blandness. I just informed KV that he is inheriting this tin because he says "it isn't bad" he went on to say "it isn't the original but it isn't bad". The only thing I can really say is that this blend is sort of like dating the girl who is "waiting til marriage" in high school instead of the easy cheerleader. I'm impatient and it seems as though my "I swear I'm the right guy" line isn't working on this blend no matter how soft I sip or hard I puff.

I do enjoy a bit of mystery and development of my bowls as I smoke and hope FMC provides that, but for now I will stick with Veronica and Daphne instead of Betty and Velma.

I really like FMOTB and rank it as one of my all-time favorites. I've added tins of all Frog Morton blends to my cellar but I've only smoked one tin of On the Bayou. I liked it so much I bought two 100g cans (one to "store" and the other to smoke). I was intrigued by the "stave in the can" concept of FMC and ordered a couple of cans (I figured it would be a big seller). It was pleasant but evoked no happy dance. On the other hand, FMOTB is a happy dance smoke and I highly recommend it.

I haven't tried any of the frogs yet.
I desperately want to, I just haven't had the money/opportunity to grab some. I would like to try them all, from what I hear they must be nice!
Zach

i bought a tin of FMOTB many moons ago and tried it right away. i totally didn't dig it. i truly did not grok the frog.

it sat on a shelf behind my desk collecting dust, and on a total whim, i sparked some up earlier this week and was really impressed!

so WTF do i know?!?!?!? it was amusing.

i filed it under "never judge a baccy on a single bowlful.

looking forward to enjoying the rest of the tin over the next few months.

doody.

Tobacco preferences are very subjective! Some say they don’t like FM and I say I haven’t had an aromatic that I like.

I have a big tin of all the FM’s except the new one.

FMOTB is close to my favorite English----FM is just would be next-----FMOTT would get skipped over.

However Boswell’s Northwoods is has all of them beat.

Scurvy, I do agree about the Northwoods, and I haven't even tried the Frogs... Northwoods is heavenly.
Zach

I still prefer FM to Northwoods. Northwoods is darn good, don't get me wrong, but FM just does it for me. To each his own.