From mystical New Jersey...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeywillow

Reaction score
Hello! I'm still new to the world of pipes...so I hope you'll bear with me as I continue to learn =)

I was introduced to pipes (and whiskey) by a friend of my father's who happens to be Irish. I fell in love with him when I was about thirteen years old, and if you've ever loved someone for a long time you'll know how their scent can stick with you forever. I'll always remember how he smelled like whiskey and tobacco. Well, he moved back to Ireland two years ago but we still write. He was always really nice about my infatuation, and he recently sent me one of his pipes and told me about one of his favorite tobaccos - Peterson's Irish Oak - so that I could indulge in my nostalgia. So, that's my sort of pathetic story about how I started smoking pipes.

But now that I do, I'm in love with the practice! Admittedly I've only been smoking for about two months and have tried only three blends so far, but I'm hoping to broaden my horizons. I also smoke clove cigarettes/cigars/cigarillos...whatever cloves I can find these days.

Other than my tobacco-related interests, I'm really into films. I'm a junior in college double-majoring in film and anthropology. I also love to read and write (fiction). I also love to drink, favoring an odd mixture of the-typical-fruity-drinks-you'd-expect-a-girl-to-drink, White Russians, and whiskey.

I can't wait to get to know some other pipe enthusiasts!

Welcome, WW, from a fellow noob! And neighbor. I think we've found a great collection of pipers here at BoB.

Thank you all for the welcomes! It seems like there are mostly guys on this forum, eh? Not that that's a bad thing :lol!:

Buddy Springman":cy8bwqe0 said:
Welcome to the group, Willow! If you're into clove, check-out GH Bosun Cut Plug. It will leave a flavor in the pipe for a while.

Buddy

Thanks for the suggestion! I can't wait to try it.

Willow

Welcome aboard, whiskeywillow! Irish Oak is very tasty, and it's a great place to start -- the journey is long, but not arduous!

Mostly males here, but female pipesters are always welcome! Pull up a chair and chill...

By the way, your story about how you came to the pipe is certainly not pathetic; I'd say it borders on the enviable. Very cool, and thanks for sharing. It makes for a great story, in my opinion!

Welcome to B.O.B !!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
(If we get any more women, will we call it B.O.B.'s & S.O.B.'s ??? :p )

PM SENT,. CHECK YOUR INBOX!

Welcome from another fresh member.

As a young piper, my story resembles yours and makes me wonder if we among the fledgling generation are often encouraged to brandish briar as a result of influential, annuated individuals in our early existence. There seem to be more than a few, as well, who were influenced by similar, albeit fictional types (including Gandalf and Holmes).

SailorJack":50cb1jsk said:
Welcome Aboard!! You from Joisy, I'm from Joisy too!! What Exit?
Depends where I am. If I'm at home (on breaks) I'm exit 9. If I'm at school, which is more likely, I have no idea of the exit...but I go to WPU up in Wayne.

whiskeywillow":ibgchiry said:
I'll always remember how he smelled like whiskey and tobacco. Well, he moved back to Ireland two years ago but we still write. He was always really nice about my infatuation, and he recently sent me one of his pipes and told me about one of his favorite tobaccos - Peterson's Irish Oak - so that I could indulge in my nostalgia. So, that's my sort of pathetic story about how I started smoking pipes.
That's actually a rather cool intro to pipe smoking - nothing even slightly pathetic 'bout that.

Welcome (from a fellow Garden State'r). Post Often!