From Rhode Island

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud Savoie

Reaction score
Greetings, BoBs! I bought my first pipe as a college freshman in 1961 and, with two interruptions, have been a devoted fan of pipes for over half a century. I'm a retired lawyer and love to relax with a good book and a pipe. Problem: wife has developed an aversion to tobacco smoke and has banned smoking in the house, so I'm relegated to the car or the porch (and it's February and cold). Does anyone have a solution (not divorce; we've been married for 38 years and I'm in love with the woman)?

Welcome to BoB, maybe get her a pipe? I have been lucky so far my wife loves the smell of cigars and pipes, even the smell of Latakia

Welcome!

How about the garage with an electric heater (or two) if needed.

Also there are some air cleaners that one pipe tobacco reviewer on you tube was raving about. A dedicated room with a good filtration system might be a compromise.

Best of luck to you and welcome!

Heya Bud, welcome to BoB, yeah mate, get a great big comfy chair and an industrial strength space heater in your shed/garage and camp out in there for your smokes. ;)

Welcome to Brothers Of Briar forum, and enjoy! :D Hm ... about wife... do you have maybe in house your own space (room) for smoking pipe?

Welcome to BoB. Smoking in the garage with a heater on is the only way I can enjoy a smoke this time of year. Every ounce in a wile Ill go to the local smoke shop and enjoy some time in the smoking lounge too.

Welcome to the Brotherhood. Here in Michigan, where it is 14 degrees right now, I can't wait for spring to get here and I can enjoy my pipes outside once again.

Many thanks for the warm welcome, Brothers. From the looks of things, we'll be moving to Baltimore to be nearer our children and our new granddaughter. The place we have our eyes on has a garage, fortunately, so it appears that I'll be moving a stuffed chair and a rocker there, along with some type of heater, and call the place my den. With a book, a pipe, a comfy chair, and heat/AC (depending on the season), I should be a happy man. Furthermore, there is a pipe club that meets regularly at Johnny Dee's, and Fader the tobacconist provides a room for smoking and companionship. Yes, I wish I could smoke in the house once in a while; but I really can't complain too much. By the way, my wife fully supports my pipe smoking, so long as it's not around her.

Welcome, Bud! I hope your move is smooth one when it happens

"T"

Welcome. In the winter of 70-71 I was stationed in Davisville taking my BU/A school. Damned cold! I don't envy your outdoor smokes.
In my days in D'ville I smoked a MM Bulldog cob loaded with H&H.

I have the same problem , My wife stopped smoking 15 years ago and since then been banned to the courtyard. Married 31 years. I haven't found a solution yet but to brave the cold and rain. :face:

Gordon, we're fortunate that our wives haven't forbidden us to smoke at all. As I wrote before, mine actually encourages me; she bought me a St.-Cloud-made pipe a couple of weeks ago. She believes the quote:

"The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes
a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes
the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made
more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than
any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
--Sam Slick, The Clockmaker

And needless to say, I believe it too.

By the way--I like these smileys ("emoticons"), but I think I saw one recently of a smiley puffing on a pipe. Anyone know where I can get this one or others proclaiming our prized devotion?

Welcome to the Brotherhood, Bud!

Please come back often and join in.

A separate room in the house, doors closed, and an Air Purifier with a HEPA filtration cartridge does wonders.