Full(er) Virginia Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbtdmb

Reaction score
So I have been wanting to try Samuel G's St. James Flake recently and since it has been unavailable, I decided to make my own concoction. Several folks have commented that SJF is basically FVF with perique so I mixed some 2003 FVF with a dash of Percy Martins Louisiana Perique from 2002. The result was one damn tasty bowl of baccy. It almost reminded me of dark chocolate covered raisins at times. Thank goodness I have a decent amount of FVF and perique as I may have to concoct a larger batch to enjoy! Anyone else try this before? If you have the ingredients I would say give it a whirl and you won't be disappointed!

-Scott

Nice. Did you just mix it up and smoke it or did you give it some time in a jar to cook for a bit?

Frost":rqsmbb6d said:
Nice. Did you just mix it up and smoke it or did you give it some time in a jar to cook for a bit?
Actually I just mixed it right up and smoked it. I am definitely going to try it the other way though and jar up some and let it meld. Good to hear from you by the way. Hope to see you at a meeting sometime. We're having our first year anniverary in March. I will PM you the details sometime soon.

-Scott

Thanks for the reply...I've been pondering messing around and "customizing" a few blends recently.

I've been thinking the last few days, sort of trying to figure out exactly which blends I want to mess with and how I want to mess with them. I have a couple jars of things which were good but just didn't quite move me, and I'll probably try to pick up some blending tobacco soon and start playing mad scientist to see what I come up with.

I do hope to get to a meeting soon. Between the weather and the everyday bull...err...stuff, just haven't been able to get a weekend free to make the drive. You guys should move main street up here! I'd be there all the time...:lol:

Frost":il4glgc4 said:
Thanks for the reply...I've been pondering messing around and "customizing" a few blends recently.

I've been thinking the last few days, sort of trying to figure out exactly which blends I want to mess with and how I want to mess with them.
Whatever you do, dont forget to follow the three following steps after you have made the mixture: 1.wet or steam the mixture, 2. press it hard and then 3.dry it.

cachimbadeoro":je6lgyui said:
I don't think that FVF has Perique in it. SG's St. James Flake is their VaPer flake.
Yeah, that is the basis of the thread. I have been wanting to try St. James Flake and have been unable to obtain any, so I customized my FVF with some perique in an attempt to see what SJF might be like

Trust him please! I introduced him (chachi, a devout Latakia fan)to FVF and SJF about a month ago and somehow he has amassed a lifetime supply. he even insisted that I relinquish One of my SJF one pound boxes so he better share! I'm still kicking myself on that one, but I still have another pound I think I'll keep.

Hooray, just scored 3 tins of St. James Flake off pipestud.com! Sometimes it pays to get up early on Sundays after all!!!