Fundraising Websites?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I've been reluctantly advised I should probably start seeking ways to alleviate the financial burden this little accident has put on Zack and myself, since we're pretty much on our own, all things that have happened. Local efforts will probably be made, but someone I know is using the www.giveforward.com website a shot, and recommends it. I realize they take a percentage, but they have a good point about a for-profit company taking only 7% versus a non-profit spending up to 40% and only having 60% left over to the cause at hand.

I like the idea I can promote this "website method" to friends that don't live around me, I might not know or for that matter, know in person, and maybe get some assistance.

Any other pros/cons, thoughts, suggestions, etc?

8)

Hate to say it, but why not just wait until it's over and then file for bankruptcy? I know a hospital administrator, he told me that hospitals and insurance companies negotiate rates that are astronomically lower than the rates you will be charged if you walk in uninsured or under insured. The system is designed to get some of the people to pay ridiculous sums and with the knowledge that the rest will just file. Screw em, it's their system, file.

No way in hell, PeeDee. I did that when I broke my arm in 2003, and I had great credit. I was even fool enough to say, "I won't include my car, either, that'll make me look better." Yeah right. We weren't even able to rent through certain property management companies with a bankruptcy on my record--and it takes ten years to clear up (I have more than a year to go). I want to be able to get loans, maybe a real house one day (doubtful) and not be looked at like a scumbag by financial institutions. Zack's credit score hovers in the 800 range--and he'd love to get a student loan without a 20% interest. That'd be a total waste. Yeah, we could do it, but it'd put us just this side of "better" in a bad scenario, rather than toughing it out. Even if I/we pay the jerks $20 a month for life, that's better than doing the waiting game like I have. I'm going to negotiate, raise money, hustle some wares here and there, and just bet on work picking up.

Been down that road, never again. Ever.

I guess it depends on what you're looking at, a debt that you'll never be able to repay or a BK on your history. Both can ruin you, but one goes away in 10 years and the other doesn't. I guess if you can pay it off in less time, then pay it off.

I know people who have filed and then bought cars and houses within three years. I guess, like everything else, it all depends.

Those that functioned under a bankruptcy might have been people that had steady income, good jobs, degrees, etc. I don't have any of that. Neither does Zack. We end up looking like losers. At least that's been my experience. Oh, credit cards are eaaaaaasy to get at that point; the banks know damn well you can't wiggle away from 'em, and at minimum 20% - 25% interest, you pay to play. So, we're cash'n'carry kids.

I'll see how it goes. I can string along the hospitals/insurance company for a long time, maybe things will change in that time, whereas with bankruptcy, you're stuck there for a decade. Plus, how shamefully ironic is it that at almost exactly the 10 year mark my bankruptcy ends, his begins? That'd be 20 years of "screwed."

Unless it's "on the streets" or bankruptcy, we're going to do this differently.

Why not just set up payment arrangements with the health care provider. They will typically be glad for a hundered bucks a month until paid. Usually they will "settle" for way less. No collectors calling, you have the satisfaction of paying a bill you incurred. Just a suggestion.

BriarBrad":0mv2wtap said:
Why not just set up payment arrangements with the health care provider. They will typically be glad for a hundered bucks a month until paid. Usually they will "settle" for way less. No collectors calling, you have the satisfaction of paying a bill you incurred. Just a suggestion.
Already covered that notion up there. 8) It's the route I'm likely going to take--which is why I want to fund raise. Any monies I get would get trickled into the effort over time.

If you haven't heard of him already, you might check out Dave Ramsey's Debt Reduction information. My wife and I were up to our ears in debt several years ago, and through following his plans, being strict about doing so and God's grace, now all we have left is our house note, which is drastically reduced.

So, here's the point that will help you more specifically. Dave teaches people how to deal with creditors fairly in a way they will appreciate, which will make them more willing to work with you. As BriarBrad was saying, there are ways you can pay them very little for a while and then offer to settle with them later at a MUCH lower rate. Things do seem to be negotiable in this realm.

I haven't heard of him. I'm not sure how some debt reduction firm is going to solve the problems with one bill. We don't own anything, we don't owe anything. No credit cards. Cars as pieces of crap and well paid off, and we rent. The only bill we're going to have is from the insurance company. *shrug*

Okay then.

Back to the original question, since I guess I subliminally said, "Please, I need financial advice." :lol:

No, I need money. The first post outlines a website and an idea I have in which to help get said money.

Thoughts?

8)

I'm not familiar with that website, I just had a brief look around it - am I right in thinking its basically a crowd sourcing platform for people in financial trouble?

I've had a bit of experience with a similar website for projects, not people, and it works well if you can get the word out. Social networking seems to be the key to real success, and communities like Chive, reddit, facebook, twitter trending, youtube and IndieGogo can all push the message out. The problem I see (and I'm not trying to sound harsh at all, you have my sympathies for your situation) is that your problem isn't something likely to inspire people to donate, and you really have to make them care. I don't know the particulars of your situation, so I probably shouldn't speculate any further than that.

This is a really difficult question I've asked, I guess. See "Family" and "Family II" if you need to get caught up. I ain't retellin' the story again.

I think I'm going to bow out, now. I guess I'm on my own tracking down fundraising ideas. :lol: Thanks for trying, guys.

8)

A friend of mine (well...a sort of. One of those old acquaintances turned reasonably good "distance" friend thanks to facebook) used that site pretty recently to get some money together for a medical procedure for her kid.

If you want, I can shoot them a message, get their opinions on giveforward, and pass it along to you. Wouldn't be any trouble. PM me if you'd like.

idbowman":rrdcefb1 said:
A friend of mine (well...a sort of. One of those old acquaintances turned reasonably good "distance" friend thanks to facebook) used that site pretty recently to get some money together for a medical procedure for her kid.

If you want, I can shoot them a message, get their opinions on giveforward, and pass it along to you. Wouldn't be any trouble. PM me if you'd like.
Shoot 'em a message, sure. Feel free to post the "scrubbed for privacy" version here, I don't care. Even just a "thumbs-up, it was great," or "avoid them at all costs" is fine. Thanks!

8)

Kyle Weiss":hbo8x2up said:
I haven't heard of him. I'm not sure how some debt reduction firm is going to solve the problems with one bill. We don't own anything, we don't owe anything. No credit cards. Cars as pieces of crap and well paid off, and we rent. The only bill we're going to have is from the insurance company. *shrug*
I was trying to show you that he understands finances and how to work with people. My main point in trying to help is that you might be able to glean some information from him on how to work with the people for that one bill. That's all.

Sorry I wasn't any help.

I know, but I'm quite good with finances. We've had to be, we're dead-poor. We don't have financial difficulty via credit and borrowing, we're stuck with a massive medical bill that we didn't have a choice with, a non-profit hospital wanting money, and the insurance company sends a bill.

Those debt consolidation firms have lawyers and accountants that can find buyers for someone's debt, pay them off, take losses, get paid a sum for doing so, and passing on a reduced incurred debt to the person acquiring their services--and if they can help people not make poor choices financially in the future, well then, brilliant. Short from a lawyer getting paid a fee as well, for doing essentially the same thing but more direct with the Insurance company, I'm not sure the difference between the two. Either way, I gotta shell out cash to some outstretched hand to someone, and well, here I am again: craps table, roll a tourist, rob a bank, sell a kidney, or ask for donations. :lol:

I'm a bit short-tempered with this situation, so you'll have to forgive my curtness. I know you guys are trying to help.

Growley":4kwag9ce said:
Kyle Weiss":4kwag9ce said:
I was trying to show you that he understands finances and how to work with people. My main point in trying to help is that you might be able to glean some information from him on how to work with the people for that one bill. That's all.

Sorry I wasn't any help.
I just came back from the Dave Ramsey Entreleadership Master Series in May, it was awesome.

I helped a friend set up one of these for his sick son... via facebook:

https://fundrazr.com/

It links funds directly to your Paypal account and takes a pretty small cut.

If it helps, it helps.

ADK

So, here's what I found out about giveforward:

--They're definitely legit...not a scam, you get exactly what the website says you get

--The amount they keep for themselves is a bit higher than other diy fundraising sites, but she said the customer service and support are worth it; it would seem that they actually realize that it behooves them them to help you raise as much as possible.

--She actually got a decent portion of her total funds from complete strangers who donated via giveforward's facebook page, blogs, etc. It seems that there are a handful of corporate donors, feel-gooders, or former fundraisers "giving back" who make occasional donations to folks whose cause they find compelling.

--The only real problem she had with the process is that you can't get funds as you need it...it doesn't go into one big account where you have the ability to withdraw as needed. You set the end date for your fundraiser, and the money is freed up and sent to you (I presume via check? Maybe Paypal? Sorry...didn't ask that question) within 2 weeks or so of the closing.

--It stands to reason, and I'm sure you've realized this, but she did say you have to be willing to do some work to raise the money. Giveforward will help and support you, and you may get some random or anonymous donations through their network, but to make it worth your while you've really got to get your cause and fundraiser site out there for everyone in the universe to see.

--There is a catch to the last point...because some folks from her Church saw the ad on her facebook page, they donated through giveforward, and passed the message along to other members of the congregation who did the same. While this is not a bad thing unto itself, it did make it difficult for the Church to raise money for her kid's procedure independently of the online efforts - meaning she paid the 7% fee on donations she may have been able to receive directly (and immediately).

So that's one person's experience, anyway. Hope it helps.

This month has been tighter than normal. I was giving myself a pity party yesterday when I passed a cemetary. All of a sudden my perspective changed. I am okay as long as I am on the top side of the grass.