FVF vs Best Brown Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeluka

Reaction score
I'm finally starting to get into loving VA on their own. My newbie love of ARO's progressed to a passion for all things LAT and Oriental. Can't get enough of both those style. Give me a Lat bomb and I'm in heaven. So naturally I decided to give all the VIRG's a chance now. Spending time with the vast selection of McCLelland VIRG's, Orlick golden sliced, Dunhill Flake, Petereson Uni and Irish Flake.

My question is what should I expect from the difference between SG FVF and BBF. They both seem to be EXTREMELY popular VA's and I want to know what makes them different for each of you.

Thanks

Joe Lukaszewski

BBF is light and grassy-citrusy.

FVF is dark and deep.

:cat: :face: :study:

MisterE":6m4tfkpv said:
If you can get ahold of either one, you're miles ahead everyone else!! :p
I know they had plenty of FVF at my B&M the other day, they may have had BBF as well...

They have a website, but price and shipping may be too much, I haven't checked.

Old Havana Cigar Shop, Rome, GA...

BBF is a touch sweet. FVF is heady and, as namesake implies, full. BBF is great fresh, FVF is better with age (hearsay). Another in the genre is Kendall Plug, which has the full headiness of FVF with the body and sweetness of BBF, and I like it quite a bit.

All a bit tough to nail down, but worth it.

8)

I think one, BBF is the only flake in the world that is in the same zip code as FVF, and two, I like BBF better. To me there is more going on and I like the sweetness.

I started smoking BBF when FVF crapped out. Looking at my last two flakes of both I decided to compare them heads up. Same animal, different spots. The BBF wins by a bit in my book.

Brewdude":f69rl55s said:
Yak":f69rl55s said:

FVF is dark and deep.

This.

Plus, BBF is sweeter to me. Not by much, mind.

That said they're both fine weeds.

Cheers,

RR
This is exactly what I would have said if brewdude had not got here first. I will be smoking fvf tonight after a day of bbf.

Kyle Weiss":ycq4jl2h said:
BBF is a touch sweet. FVF is heady and, as namesake implies, full. BBF is great fresh, FVF is better with age (hearsay). Another in the genre is Kendall Plug, which has the full headiness of FVF with the body and sweetness of BBF, and I like it quite a bit.

All a bit tough to nail down, but worth it.

8)
Dang it. Its these kinds of comments that generate all kinds of tad. When my wife asks I will say its Kyle's fault.

FVF is better with age (hearsay). Fact.

2 years, minimum.

5 years optimum.

Longer yet, orgasmium.

Yak":t0z3jecs said:
FVF is better with age (hearsay). Fact.
Is it a fact for me since I haven't yet tried it with age? No. I'd be a repeating parrot otherwise, you see. Patience, Old Master.

Love,

Grasshopper

8)

I agree FVF is better with age. As a matter of fact, FVF was the first blend that I was actually able to appreciate the difference between young and aged. But the difference IMHO is not life changing as its still very good young. Though to be fair to Yak, I haven't tried any older than ~2yrs.

I have one ripening tin that's from 2008. I had two--one I gave to Shane, because he's been sent me a ton of aged tobacco to try. I'm only hesitant to pop it open because I'd have to wait quite a while for the others to catch up. :lol: Then again, it'd probably be really good. I should get some more fresh stuff to do a side-by-side test. My palate has changed since my first FVF taste-test.

8)

Brewdude":0wu1tvx5 said:
Yak":0wu1tvx5 said:

FVF is dark and deep.

This.

Plus, BBF is sweeter to me. Not by much, mind.

That said they're both fine weeds.

Cheers,

RR
A'yup. I think I may come down in the Best Brown camp myself, although in the interest of full disclosure I'm with Kyle in the haven't-tried-any-significantly-aged-FVF camp. Solani Silver Flake is right up there with them in terms of taste and quality, in my opinion, but I find it a little mellower than either...and if (and when!) you start checking out VaPers, Gawith's St. James Flake is absolutely divine.

I have a bunch of FVF in the cellar already. Seems I need to open a newer BBF to make sure I get the experience. And reading all the love for BBF means I've yet another weed to put away in bulk for the zombie apocalypse. :x

Thanks for everyone's opinion and input!

Better live to 135 to get to all this great FLAKE

Just cracked a jar of 2010 BBF that I'd had on the shelf. It already has that nice fermented smell. This stuff smokes like a dream. BBF gets my vote. 8)

MisterE":x7es00s9 said:
Just cracked a jar of 2110 BBF that I'd had on the shelf. It already has that nice fermented smell. This stuff smokes like a dream. BBF gets my vote. 8)
Doctor, tell me, do they have flying cars in the future?