G&H scented and unscented dark flake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Per GH, Unscented is floral cased, scented is cased and topped.

i like em both, for different reasons. i tend to cut them 1:1 with medium virginia flake lately, just so i can smoke it in a big bowl, which for me, develops some great flavor. the unscented i reach for the most, but mainly because i don't want to ghost my big chambered pipes. the savinelli pot i have smokes the mixture just beautifully. the scented i tend to smoke in a cob or something, and usually early in the morning. it's sweeter i think, and with bitter acidic coffee is just heaven. in fact, i'm going to smoke some tomorrow at the pipe club meeting. i need to make a spade bit so i can make a big chambered pipe for the lakelands...

LMAO...

Quoted from Alfredo: "Rich is sending me the 12 pounds of Dark Flake I ordered, and a tin of the infamous Grousemoor."

(this would seem the proper ratio of the two blends in question to me too)

Rev -

I refused to lower myself to the level of these other philistine re the argument over what is topping, which is casing, who's on first, I etc. So many experts.

On the actual question... I too like them both. I like the unscented, which I maintain is as plain as Gawith is capable of making it, with about two years of age on it. At that point it's pretty close to being a grail kinda smoke. To my way of thinking it smokes best in a somewhat small diameter bowl. I made a pipe from a kit done by Mark Tinsky some time ago. The chamber is bored 3/4" diameter X 1 1/4" deep. It does the best job with either the flake or the plug for me. The Scented version is REALLY scented. Good thing I like the scent...like Cob, Glengarry, #7, Coniston...as opposed to the odious 1792 and its bubble gum minions. Well, we each have our little pets. But, back to the point, I like the scented because it takes the edge off the dark Flake...and is good as a tasty morning nicotine blackjack...or one that can be enjoyed in a quasi public setting, where legal.

A little sidebar here...whenever possible I buy 'em at the same time so I can make up batches of 'watered down' scented version. I have centered on about 1/4 Scented to 3/4 Unscented as being a very fetching scent level...and then jar it for storage. Lovely stuff. Makes yer eyes water but tastes so very good. In a way this ends up more like the situation with the ropes. There's Brown Twist...and then by adding just a teensy shot of this or that you have the Sweet Twist line, being Rum, Whiskey, Maple, etc. The addition of that extra essence just takes the edge off the Brown Twist...the Rum and Whiskey being among the finest things Gawith does. So reduce the level of scent in the Dark Flake by home blending and you can adjust it to your own preference. What's not to like?

And...smoke it far more dry than you think you should. It tastes and burns far better when it's at 'tree bark' moisture level rather than 'shoe leather' moisture. Them's technical terms fer you nimrods. :lol: