G.L. Pease cornerstone recommendations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmw

Reaction score
It is pretty hard to find good tobacco here in the Netherlands, so I'm forced to order from abroad on a regular basis. So far I've mostly gotten Dunhill tobaccos from Germany (from the Orlik production, of course), but I'm eager to try some of the American blenders. I'm particularly interested in tasting the G.L. Pease blends. For now, I want to try some different options, in order to buy what I really like in larger quantities at a later date.

I enjoy anything, as long as it isn't aromatic. I like a heavy English, subtle Virginia and anything in between depending on my mood. In general, I prefer Virginia blends with a bit of character and not overly sweet (for example, I quite enjoy Dunhill Royal Yacht). But I wouldn't want to miss out on something entirely different. I'm always looking for blends for the regular rotation, but just as well enjoy trying something new as an experiment. Even if it isn't what I would normally smoke.

I can't afford to order the whole selection at once, so going for a few cornerstones that give an impression across the board is really the only option. But what would they be? I noticed that GLP has several blends covering every style, like Balkans, English VA/Pers, et cetera. Choosing a few is almost like picking them at random. So far I've settled on Westminster, Chelsea Morning, Quiet Nights, Maltese Falcon and Robusto. I'm leaning towards Haddo's Delight as a VA/Per, but I'm having trouble picking one of the many Balkans and Virginia variations. Barbary Coast seems like a nice Burley.

What would your recommendations for cornerstones in the G.L. Pease selection be?

Just two from me, both highly recommended.

A superb virginia which fits your criteria perfectly - Union Square.

The definitive English blend - Westminster.

Incidentally, rather than Haddo's, I would go with Fillmore as a Vaper.

Union Square is a true all-Virginia blend: it contains nothing but leaves, water, and Greg's genius. Seems like a good touchstone for a straight VA by GLP.

I like union as well.

Chelsea Morning, is a winner, much better than Maltese Falcon, in my opinion (since you said you were going to buy both). Maltese isn't the way to go if you like full englishes though, as you stated. It's sort of sweet and light.

I would recommend Chelsea Morning and Westminster both. Had a small bowl of
CM for my morning smoke today.

Im not sure if they ship to you but pipesandcigars has a GL Pease sampler you could order.

Incidentally, rather than Haddo's, I would go with Fillmore as a Vaper.
I would agree. I dont really know how to define Haddo's. either. It says it has a generous offering of Perique but the topping seems to be the dominant flavor. Prunes or raisins. You get a hint of Perique, but it's not as obvious as an Escudo or Solani 633. That said, I still do enjoy Haddo's for what it is.....

Cornerstones......hmmmmm.....

Well, Union Square is a must. Flavorful Virginia that smokes cool.

Chelsea Morning has captured something that may have been nearly lost for some time. It's very yummy! Huge amounts of flavor.

Ashbury is as close to Renaissance as any blend can be, and still not have the Syrian Latakia component. A fine example of a Balkan.

Embarcadero is perhaps the best Virginia/Oriental blend to appear in a long time.

Cumberland is a very interesting blend that should be a part of most cellars. Virginia's and Kentucky. A full-bodied blend.

Key Largo. As good as Robusto is, pick up Key Largo first. Then stock up on both!

I know. I skipped over a wad of Virginia, VA/PR, Balkan, and English blends. Not to mention Barbary Coast and Haddo's Delight. Greg blends a lot of great blends. I have trouble with two of them. Odyssey and Westminster. I cannot taste the flavor that must be there in those two. I only get fleeting bits of flavor and then it's gone.

Westminster is my GLP blend of choice. I usually pack the bowl and let is sit for an hour, then light it, smoking it slowly, as able. Sometimes it is hard to keep lit, as it is a moist tobacco, but I love the flavor I get from it. The flavor increased as the cake built up in my pipe. The first few smokes the flavor was not as noticeable.

I also love Haddo's Delight. Such a good smoke! It has never bitten me once. I always get the sweet taste sensation when I smoke it, too.

Union Square is good, but it has kicked my butt a couple of times when I have smoked it hard and fast. Nicotine does that to me, and it seemed heavy in this blend. Smoke it slow!

Within Greg's Balkan group, Kensington and Charing Cross are my favorites. The orientals have an incense-like quality that I really enjoy.

Westminster
Union Square
Laurel Heights
Cumberland
Chelsea Morning
Cairo ...... an oriental, underrated in my opinion!

In no partiular order:

Westminster
Key Largo
Odyssey
Haddos
Union Square
Cumberland / Montgomery / Telegraph Hill

Out of the lot, I smoke a ton of Key Largo & the Va / VaPer blends.

Third for the Fillmore - but more of a fan of Montgomery than Cumerberland

haven't seen Samara mentioned - very good blend there...

My current GLP favorites are Chelsea Morning, Telegraph Hill, Westminster and Samarra. Have yet to try Quiet Nights, but I just received an order and I plan to sample it soon.

As many others have stated Chelsea Morning is a must but I also agree with someone who voted against Maltese Falcon as being too sweet from the parameters that you set up as the blends that you like. It is only a little shy of an aromatic IMO.