G.L. Pease, Mc Clelland, Hearth and Home for newbs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frog Morton

Reaction score
Which G.l. Pease Blends are good for a beginner smoker? Tobaccoreviews.com classifies "haddos delight" as medium-strong strength (very strong?) is that an indication of flavor or nicotine content?? (kinda sensitive to N) I would like to try some g.l pease blends but dont know where to start? I would like to try some full flavored blends without high nicotine contents. I smoke frog morton blends and enjoy them very well..still havent figured out what order to smoke them in though,...Frog morton first then bayou..etc?? I am looking to place an order for G.L. Pease, Mc Clelland, Hearth and Home and I dont know which blends are good for a beginner Briar Brother?? (pipesandcigars.com has amazing prices right now!!!) All suggestions are highly appreciated!!

One of the first tobaccos I ever bought for myself was McClelland's Backwoods Flake. Its still one my favorites. Though, when I was starting, I had trouble with flakes and even more trouble with broken flakes, but if you're brave, its worth the hassle. One of my favorite GLP blends is Jack Knife Plug, and if you don't want to mess around with the plug, they now offer it in a Ready Rubbed version. Hearth & Home's Anniversary Kake is another good one. I'd also suggest looking at Cornell & Diehl. Good stuff that is very reasonably priced, especially in bulk.

Some of H&H's notable blends with latakia are Black House, Larry's Blend, Magnum Opus, Ten to Midnight, and Distinguished Penguin.

Of them, Distinguished Penguin is probably the mildest.

Frog Morton":ity51um1 said:
Which G.l. Pease Blends are good for a beginner smoker? Tobaccoreviews.com classifies "haddos delight" as medium-strong strength (very strong?) is that an indication of flavor or nicotine content?? (kinda sensitive to N) I would like to try some g.l pease blends but dont know where to start? I would like to try some full flavored blends without high nicotine contents. I smoke frog morton blends and enjoy them very well..still havent figured out what order to smoke them in though,...Frog morton first then bayou..etc?? I am looking to place an order for G.L. Pease, Mc Clelland, Hearth and Home and I dont know which blends are good for a beginner Briar Brother?? (pipesandcigars.com has amazing prices right now!!!) All suggestions are highly appreciated!!
I actually wouldn't recommend Haddo's to a new smoker. It's very tasty, but can be a bit strong, especially for the newcomer to the pipe. Barbary Coast would be a better choice for something in that overall genre. If you're wanting to get your feet wet with Latakia, I'd recommend Lagonda. It's got big flavor, so there's something to sink your teeth into, but it's really balanced, and not high in nicotine. For an entry into virginias, I'd probably steer you towards Laurel Heights, again, because it's got lots of flavor, but won't spin your head off.

Many well-meaning tobacconists suggest "mild" tobaccos to the new smoker, and usually aromatics. I think this is the wrong approach. It takes some time to learn the techniques of pipe smoking, and it takes time for the palate to start sorting the more subtle flavors. Additionally, most common aromatics are too moist, often laden with humectants, and therefore hard to light and keep lit. This results, too often, in the new pipe smoker puffing like a locomotive in order to get something, anything out of the experience, and all they usually end up getting is a singed tongue.

Starting off with a tobacco with a big taste helps hold the interest whilst learning the other stuff.

Enjoy the journey. It's a great one!

Haddo's is excellent. I don't think its overly strong in nicotine, but it is a bit stronger than some other blends - if you're significantly sensitive to nic., then you might want to approach it with caution. Still, the flavor is deep, rich, complex and spicy (if you like perique, you'll love Haddo's)...if you're only mildly sensitive, you might want to consider trying it in small quantities.

Otherwise, both Telegraph Hill and Fillmore are great GLP blends. But then I'm primarily a VaPer kinda guy, so consider the source!

I've smoked several Pease tobaccos that I've enjoyed but the one that I like best is Maltese Falcon. It's a full-flavored English blend that is a joy to smoke in my Jan Zeman pipe that is reserved for English blends.

In Hearth and Home, you can't go wrong with Larry's Blend, Anniversary Kake, Distinguished Penguin, Old Tartan (Burley blend), and Ten to Midnight. I haven't had a chance to try any of Russ's newest blends but anxiously await the chance to do so.

Smokey

smokey422":ahd7tfsi said:
...Old Tartan [/b](Burley blend)...
Be warned that Old Tartan is also a Deer Tongue blend. If you haven't tried it then Old Tartan would be a good first shot but I find the stuff noxious. There's no lat is Old Tartan at all.

I appreciate the mentions of some of our blends here, and would make a suggestion regarding a Latakia blend for a newer smoker. We have a blend that's rather light in Latakia while being flavorful. It's called Victorian Stroll.
On a side note, Old Tartan actually does contain Latakia, although it's a small amount.

Russ

I must say, it sure is something when a question like this actually draws responses from two heavy hitters in the field. Kudos to both of you guys.

I love Haddo's. Probably the 10th blend I've tried and I can already tell it's going to be a staple for as long as it's available. I would say that in my experience it is heavy on nicotine.

blendtobac":gznutv0x said:
I appreciate the mentions of some of our blends here, and would make a suggestion regarding a Latakia blend for a newer smoker. We have a blend that's rather light in Latakia while being flavorful. It's called Victorian Stroll.
On a side note, Old Tartan actually does contain Latakia, although it's a small amount.

Russ
I just didn't get that far I guess. I hit the deer tongue and went green...I'm not sure why that stuff doesn't agree with me. It starts out with a nice vanilla like flavor...and then my stomach turns.

As a side note, I really enjoy Black House. It's not an everyday smoke for me, but when I just get in the mood for a medium strength blend with a ton of smokiness, this is the way to go for me.

I'm going to place an order for G.l. Pease blends from pipesandcigars.com (they have amazing prices right now).. If anyone can give me brief tasting notes or tips on smoking any of these blends (do I dry any of them out before smoking?, high/low nicotine? morning smoke? Night smoke? etc..?),.. Does anyone know if any of these blends are similar to the 4 frog mortons (which ones?) Good choices? as these are my favorites so far!!! I really like the Original Frog morton and Frog morton on the town as well. I would highly appreciate it.!!! Sorry for all the questions :oops: ..I'm trying to learn from my fellow BBrothers!!

Barbary Coast 2 oz
Blackpoint 8 oz
Charing Cross 2oz
Maltese Falcon 2oz
Odyssey 2oz
Picadilly 2oz
Samarra 2oz
Union Square 2oz
Westminster 2oz

I wish G.l. pease had more aromatics besides "BlackPoint" Any good aromatics for a beginner???

You've ordered some great blends including my favorite, Maltese Falcon. I can smoke it at any time of day but it's especially good in the evening after supper. I don't think Greg does many aromatics because he's not really into them. Maybe he'll chip in here and give us the lowdown.

Smokey

glpease":6axj346k said:
I actually wouldn't recommend Haddo's to a new smoker. It's very tasty, but can be a bit strong, especially for the newcomer to the pipe. Barbary Coast would be a better choice for something in that overall genre. If you're wanting to get your feet wet with Latakia, I'd recommend Lagonda. It's got big flavor, so there's something to sink your teeth into, but it's really balanced, and not high in nicotine. For an entry into virginias, I'd probably steer you towards Laurel Heights, again, because it's got lots of flavor, but won't spin your head off.

Many well-meaning tobacconists suggest "mild" tobaccos to the new smoker, and usually aromatics. I think this is the wrong approach...
Starting off with a tobacco with a big taste helps hold the interest whilst learning the other stuff.
Amen! A voice of reason for a beginning smoker. I first started out with aromatics back in the mid-90s and decided if that's what pipe smoking was all about, it's not for me. Thus began my affair with cigars. But many years ago I started back in with English blends and it was a whole different story. Mild to medium english blends are, I think, the very best intro to pipe smoking. Greg's suggestions are excellent.