Gargle help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavis12

Reaction score
Like everytime I smoke my pipe I get a gargle like half way down the bowl, and for some reason sours the end of the bowl. Do I just need to become more careful about keeping my tongue away from the stem?

Nope. Sounds like you are smoking a little fast - one of the main by products of combustion is H2O and it'll settle down in the tobacco and make it wet and sour. So....

slow down, keep 'er cool. And maybe dry your tobacco a little more before you pack it (and don't pack super tight).

ok thanks, that makes sense. I am new so any tips help. Ill try and take it slow and steady, and see if that makes a difference.

mdavis12":bjifdd25 said:
Like everytime I smoke my pipe I get a gargle like half way down the bowl, and for some reason sours the end of the bowl. Do I just need to become more careful about keeping my tongue away from the stem?
Some pipes will gargle with most tobaccos especially Kaywoodie drinkless pipes. If your pipe has a stinger that could be the cause. Don,t fight it just just put a pipe cleaner down the stem when it starts to gargle problem solved. You can use both ends of the cleaner. : :D :D :D

Good Info thanks guys I was having the same issue from time to time.

"Stinger," as I just found out the term, are the evil metal filters jammed into some stems. Twist it carefully out and throw it far, far away if you have one. 8)

Smoking fast, smoking aromatics (they smoke wetter) and too-humidified tobacco--for sure all possible culprits. Could be some spittle in the shank/stem, too...don't be afraid to run a fresh pipe cleaner down the stem for the occasional mop-up either. :) We've all been there.