Gaslight, getting started

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelhammer

Reaction score
I have now had 4 bowls of Gaslight. I am curious about getting it to light. I have noticed I get the best flavored smoke on my relights. The bowl I smoked last night I really babied it to light. My thinking is I tend to get my tobby to hot during my initial light, causing a loss of flavors. It was better but still nothing compared to the taste after it has worked up a good cherry, left to go out, and then relit. The flavors described in Gaslight, I only find after I fire a bowl, and let it extinguish. Any ideas on how to improve the first 1/4 of my smoke?

Plug is tricky stuff to smoke as you'll know but well worth the trouble, pack much more lightly than you think you should and then add a small top layer of fully rubbed out backy that is dried out a fair bit, gets a good cherry going without the extra heat spoiling the bowl. Try to avoid tamping as much as possible, Plug compacts very easily when warmed through, making it next to impossible to keep it burning. ;)

I have smoked about a lb around at least.  My #1 blend ever!  I am deeply impressed!!!

Just had 2 bowls in a lovely Dave Neeb volcano - smaller bowl.

cut into thin slices.  I tend to cut the slices and rub them out decently but not for minutes at all like I have seen someone say.  i keep the slices in separate piles unless i am putting a bunch in a pouch i dedicated to Gaslight.  i fill a pipe loosely and then tap gently into the bowl with my finger and gently fill more.  Then i use the next pile of the next slice and top off the bowl and press the last bit in a bit more.  Tap gently as needed for good draw and i really never have too many issues.  rarely it take a relight down the bowl - but not always.

Greg knocked this one out ot the park, literally!  Bliss and sublime!!!  I hate to smoke anything else i love this blend THAT much!  And he knows it too!

p.s. I have also dedicated 5 of my pipes just to Gaslight.

Well I believe I cut my slices thin enough. My pack is just to ensure everything is touching. If a pack restricts my drawl I tend to think it's too tight. Mostly gravity fed with just a few bumps and press. Now admittedly I have not tried to dry this any. When I rub out my slices it seems just right. I need to get some prepped. Let it sit out for a bit. I will let you know.

I never dry it out. I make sure to keep it moist in my pouch but do not put a couple of days in the pouch either.

longbottom":y8bfngke said:
I have smoked about a lb around at least.  My #1 blend ever!  I am deeply impressed!!!
Damn, it has only been out for a month and you already killed a pound! Congrats. Maybe I should crack into my tin hahahaha

Well I did dry last nights bowl a bit, and to me, I had more flavor at the top of the bowl. It is still not what I would expect, I guess it's just the way this plug will be for me. I am not sure how to describe the transition of flavors I experience as I smoke this stuff. For me it starts out as a mild smoke, then turns into a roller coaster of delights and surprises for my senses. I will try making some notes.

see my new reply to your PM - That is the dynamic quality of this blend and i love it!

Well when it comes to being indoor friendly, this one is a no no. Apparently it stinks? The Mrs informed me Gaslight is on the Naughty List, and is not allowed back in the house. :santa: 

welcome to the club but that is the same for abingdon and 3 oaks which is all i smoke. I am outside or else outside in the cold damp shed while my woodstove is going in the house without me.

I was recently gifted a tin of Gaslight and am excited to give it a try. I have never smoked plug before so it will be interesting to say the least. From what I understand it comes 2 bars to a tin so I plan to jar one of the bars and smoke the other for now.
Any tips on prep would be greatly appreciated.

Kelhammer I blame you for making me open another tin to add to my smoking rotation! :lol!: 

from Greg:

A couple of comments: Gaslight is not a crumble cake. In order to get the experience of the blend, it cannot be broken up or peeled apart. The bars should be sliced, I like slices about 1mm thick, and the little square flakes rubbed out. Peeling it will get you only part of the blend, like eating that lasagna in layers.

It does burn slowly. It still surprises me how long a gr3 bowl of the stuff lasts. It's not the tobacco for a quick smoke, for sure. It's so slow burning that I like to just gravity fill the pipe, tamping only VERY gently, and not tamping during the smoke until absolutely necessary. I also find it helpful to tap out some of the ash about half way down.

Ironically, even though I've been playing with this blend for months, and smoking it in the final form for quite a few weeks now, I'm still discovering things about it. When I dedicated a virgin pipe, a little blast gr3 lovat from Chris Morgan, things really bloomed, revealing layers of flavor that I'd missed.

I admit, I'm a bit hooked on the stuff myself, and am waiting for the supply line to get filled up so I can get some tins for my own cellar. (I'm down to just a little of my final production samples.) It's going to age beautifully, and I look forward to exploring it over the next few years.

I'm thrilled with the response it's getting, of course. It does take time to get to know it, and it's not going to shine its brightest until a few bowls have been smoked in the same pipes, overshadowing the ghosts of previous blends. But, I think it's worth the time to get to know it. (Do I sound like a proud papa? I guess I am...)

G. L. Pease Tobaccos

Thanks longbottom, I smoked my frost bowl last night according to your shared post and it was awesome.

longbottom":kfihdnq4 said:
from Greg:

A couple of comments: Gaslight is not a crumble cake. In order to get the experience of the blend, it cannot be broken up or peeled apart. The bars should be sliced, I like slices about 1mm thick, and the little square flakes rubbed out. Peeling it will get you only part of the blend, like eating that lasagna in layers.

It does burn slowly. It still surprises me how long a gr3 bowl of the stuff lasts. It's not the tobacco for a quick smoke, for sure. It's so slow burning that I like to just gravity fill the pipe, tamping only VERY gently, and not tamping during the smoke until absolutely necessary. I also find it helpful to tap out some of the ash about half way down.

Ironically, even though I've been playing with this blend for months, and smoking it in the final form for quite a few weeks now, I'm still discovering things about it. When I dedicated a virgin pipe, a little blast gr3 lovat from Chris Morgan, things really bloomed, revealing layers of flavor that I'd missed.

I admit, I'm a bit hooked on the stuff myself, and am waiting for the supply line to get filled up so I can get some tins for my own cellar. (I'm down to just a little of my final production samples.) It's going to age beautifully, and I look forward to exploring it over the next few years.

I'm thrilled with the response it's getting, of course. It does take time to get to know it, and it's not going to shine its brightest until a few bowls have been smoked in the same pipes, overshadowing the ghosts of previous blends. But, I think it's worth the time to get to know it. (Do I sound like a proud papa? I guess I am...)

G. L. Pease Tobaccos
Since you brought this up(which I was about to go reference this :lol!: ), I've tried gravity feeding my bowl and lighting it up - lights and burns like a dream that way. Still have to take it slowly, and tamp lightly(or dump the ash at about half a bowl), but the stuff really charms. It has this nice, full creaminess that really shines when burning right. One of my favorite blends now

Cheers All!

I wrote somewhere else on here that for me Gaslight sings a yet prettier song when I slice up a whole bar at once, and jar it rubbed out. I think it ages like wine when in its bar form, but once you want to smoke it, chop it up and let it chill a while as a ribbon to "let it breathe" a while. I love it all ways, but this is absolutely my preferred method. Smoking it right off the block its still "asleep" to me. A little congested.

One of the great advantages of this form. Gaslight has become a real friend to me. I really love it.

That's an interesting idea crookshanks! I am yet to crack into one of my tins of Gaslight, but am I not mistaken to believe that each tin contains two bars? If so, it would be interesting to full cut up and rub out one bar, and leave the other one intact. That way you could really taste how it affects the smoking qualities.

My best combo to date is pictured below.  Neil there are two small plugs, to a tin.  I enjoy Gaslight best in a smaller pipe. Good fun which I am about to partake in.