Gaslight impressions and a recommendation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crookshanks

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

Well, here we are between Fall and Winter, where many of the disposed's cravings turn toward the darker and smokier. And, as though Santa had heard our longings, we have a new treat to sample this season. GLPease Gaslight. I've spent the last few weeks smoking, nearly, nothing else trying to get a good hold on our new friend, and I think I'm really starting to like it.

I've said before that Im a VA extrovert, but a Lat introvert. Meaning I'll try, and like well enough probably, nearly any natural VA blend. But, with my beloved Lat Mixtures, I'm weary of outsiders, and eye them with suspicion until they prove to be like-minded. This is perhaps odd. I'm ok with that.

When Gaslight first arrived, I was very excited, and Gaslight was clearly good, but I wasn't ready to invite it into the "inner-circle". I wasn't aware yet that I had been missing this guy until I sat back and listened, and even experimented. Actually, it comes packaged well for my little test. I don't know why i did it, but I am glad I did.

For my first tin, I took the two little blocks out, put them in a jar, and would slice off what i would smoke, and put the rest back in the jar for next time. My impression was that Gaslight was very much like my favorite coffees, it doesn't taste LIKE coffee, but more...ACTS like coffee. It has a dark rich bitter body, it was sometimes herbal barbs, and a light dried-fruit-like sweetness on the finishes, but...I wanted...more. It was deep and "rustic" like stew. But there was something holding me at a little distance. It had a dank woodsy mouthfeel, but I like that. It had an almost fetid vinegar-like impression, and somehow there was a sweet tone to its overall effect. weird.

So, at tin two, I decided to continue the way I had: leave it in a bar, and slice off flakes, and pull them apart and load an smoke them, leaving the rest of the cake intact, and back in a jar. But, for the other cake in the tin I sliced it all up at once, and rubbed it all the way out to a classic ribbon consistence, and scooped that up into a second jar, and left it there. I finished the first cake off, as before, and had about the same impression. Though, as time went on, I grew some more respect for its strength, and began to smoke it in smaller bowls.

When I got to the second jar with the pre-rubbed Gaslight, I didn't recognize the aroma that came from the jar. It was as if I busted someone trying to trick me with the "we've switched Jon's Kenya with Folgers" trick. It was a new monster. I really had the experience of tasting the difference between swigging a bottle and letting a well aged vintage breathe, and savoring it from the proper stemware for the type.

For...ME...Gaslight as it sits in the tin is in a state of cryogenic stasis. Aging. Fermenting. Growing. Changing. When I pick it right up, cut it, stuff it, and smoke it, its just TOO congested, and sleepy. When I cut it, and let breathe a bit, in a jar, it opens and blooms and well...knocks a few old friends off the Christmas Card list.

Im no scientist (i might be the opposite, actually) but my GUESS is that in its pressed form theres something going on that stops once you cut it up. All that core of the little cakes doesn't get air, and once it does get air, something else happens to it. I might be wrong, but I am telling you i sure do taste a big difference.

Some may not really notice much maybe, and some could prefer the non-rubbed way. Both are good. I seem to prefer it rubbed. That said, I don't think theres much a reason to rub it and then jar it to age. I think I'll let the tins age as bars, then rub them to smoke them.

Gaslight is a fantastic mixture, and I'm excited to grow with it. It's certainly not a HEAVY LAT blend in the way may are these days. Though its a big mixture, which includes Lat. Its a classic-style. To my mind, it stands in the category of Penzance, or Old Balkan Sobranie. Its about the weight of previous Mixes from Pease like Meridian I'd say.

Cheers y'all!!

A huge fan of Gaslight and i do follow Greg's tips for cutting and smoking it.  I am seriously pondering dedicating my smallest pipe to it - a custom made Grecian briar pickaxe.  I bought 4 1/2 lbs; but now down a bit and trying to get the $ to restock.

p.s. Just picked up 12 more tins. I am set for a while. :))))

I just smoked a bowl in a Ruthenberg blast. With it's very open airway and generous bowl, it was a superb, long smoke. There is a toasted, or stoved flavor that is very good.

Long bottom:

Greg's tips for cutting and smoking?? Where are they? Are they like mine, or different??

I've been on a pretty steady diet of this for some time. I just can't seem to shake the habit. Part of it is just that it's new, and my new projects always have a certain appeal to me by virtue of their newness, and the intimacy I've formed with them during their development, but I also just really like it. As the weather cools, as fall wanders in, Gaslight has been the perfect companion. I've enjoyed it mostly in smaller pipes. It's slow burning and long-lasting, so the 30 to 40-minutes I usually get from a gr3 sized briar often turns into an hour. As previously mentioned, don't pack this one too tightly; gravity fill with just the slightest tamp works best. I like to slice it fairly thin, crumble it slightly, and drop it in. Remember to slice across the layers, not with them, and please, don't just break it up, or tear off sheets. You won't be getting the blend if you do. The same things that apply to JackKnife PLug apply to this one, too.

The aging potential is, I think, extraordinary. It's great now, absolutely ready to smoke, but it will continue developing nuance and increased complexity over at least the next 5-10 years, and probably longer. Buy a few to smoke, and a few to put away for rainy days in the future.

www.glpease.com

I believe the 1mm slices was mentioned in one of his emails to me. about the thickness of a CD or DVD.

Why do you think it will age so well? There's only some VA in it. As it is plug, aging will give the tobaccos more time to marry, but IMHO this is not aging in the sense I understand it, the ongoing change in the tobacco caused by fermentation. Yes, it will change due to fermentation, but the vaunted benefits of aging only really occur in a blend with VAs that comprise a good proportion of the blend. The blend has significant red VA but not in the proportion needed so that fermentation can make the blend sing.

Talk to greg - he says so too - if you were addressing me with the question. I just finished a 5 yr old abingdon and it was different and smooth and changed from the open fresh tin i just had 2 bowls of. I have another 4 yr old I will open within the year. I have many to lay down for a few years. They DO age. I do not plan on aging more than 5 years or so - hell i'll be dead by then.

Not being a wise guy but I seriously believe that Gaslight Will age and also Will be delectable after a few years in the tin.

:) 

I'm new to lat blends, basically, so I really have no experience with aging them. I just have the dictum "Thar must be VA to produce aging." But heh! the thought occurs that if the lat is 40-50%, that leaves room for plenty of VA to age and make a difference. See what I learned by exposing my ignorance?:cheers: :bounce: :cheers: 

I want to put back, just for hoarding purposes, and given my newfound lat aging knowledge, to age, serious poundage. Gaslight is extraordinary!

Thanks again, Mike

Mike - Latakia ages too - it may diminish after 10 years or so but not bad - maybe later aging decreases it more. But that is where it gets smooth from my understanding - and that is my understanding. There is enough VA and orientals in there to age quite nicely and even more elegantly.

I am from the old school - 60's and 70's and you bought a bunch of tins and smoked them and when running low go get a bunch more and so on. This aging thing is very new to me too. Based on my limited Abingdon aged exposure I can only imagine how much more Gaslight will mature. I have pounds of it to enjoy daily but to age a bit too. I just fell in love with it and want to have it around - aged or not aged and the same with Abingdon. I still learn everyday - Ph.D. and all. I learn about my vineyard and my animals and my garden and my training. Daily. Hell even the tobacco.