Gatlinburlier

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering. My boss' son went to Gatlinburg and brought me back a sampler pack. I'm smoking the mellow moonshine now. Pretty tasty. It says it has a hint of peach brandy but I can't find it.

Definitely the place. The prices seem kind of touristy like getting a tatto at the beach, but it tastes ok. Just wondering if anyone tried any of their other blends so I could put in an order for his next trip.

I got a few blends from them about 10 years ago. They were decent, but unremarkable and promptly forgotten.

Hey! Maybe it's just me. Give them a try and post your reviews here. Who knows, perhaps they're worth revisiting again.

Wet Dottle":915aqxnq said:
I got a few blends from them about 10 years ago. They were decent, but unremarkable and promptly forgotten.

Hey! Maybe it's just me. Give them a try and post your reviews here. Who knows, perhaps they're worth revisiting again.
Their pipe selection 10 years ago was something to behold. But now its crap....at least it was a year ago when I stopped on my way home from a business trip.

It's a nice place to visit. You can smoke in the store. Go out on East Parkway Rt's 321 & 73 and park at the trolley headquarters. Ride downtown to the aquarium and get off there. Walk across the street to the Mountain Mall and they are in there on the 2nd floor, I think. Maybe a half-floor up. Smokies Smoke-Ease and Gatlin Burley are nice counter blends. They also stock twists for the adventurous who like to take a chance on turning green. Parking at the trolley bus headquarters saves fighting to find a place downtown. And they run every half-hour or so. Good conversation. There is a hat place next half-floor down if you like hats.

Cathy and I avoid the rest of downtown Gatlinburg. We are not into the modern touristy carnival atmosphere. We spent the rest of our time out in the artists area on "The Glades" road area.

There is also a distillery right the hill that has free tasting. Just thought I'd throw that in.

I've been going to this store for more than 20 years -- the first tobaccos I ever bought were from there, and while I quickly moved past most of their house blends I still recommend them highly for beginners. Also, provided you don't have the unhappy luck of dropping by after a "rush," they have an outstanding assortment of briars.

Most of their blends are aromatics of the traditional American sort. I smoke those types of blends only rarely nowadays, but I highly recommend them to aromatic smokers. They have three American-English crossover blends that used to be superlative, but the recipe has apparently changed over the past couple of years and I don't recommend them as highly (they're still decent enough smokes, but not spectacular). In short, if you like aros, I wouldn't hesitate to order a few pounds of, say, Cades Cove Cavendish, Mountain Mall Mix or Cascades Cavendish.

I do, however, highly recommend dropping by the store yourself if you are in town. The staff is super friendly and knowledgable, and I've spent plenty of days just hanging out with them. Also, their "house pipes" are, IMO, the best value I've ever come across when it comes to briars. They run from $30 to $60 or so, and they smoke better than many $100-plus pipes I've had.