Gave it the boot.....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
....out the door and into the trash. That damn Awia surround sound receiver is taking the last ride. We bought it with all the speakers and crap. A 5 dish CD changer. To make Cathy happy so we had an entertainment center like other people. It was crap. Always crap. Quit putting out sound once and sent it in to be repairs and the shipping fixed it. It's probably got a bad solder joint. But it was still crap. No real weight to it.

Well it just stopped working a month a go. Just been using the big screen TV. Just feeding audio from the TV to it and the CD changer plugged in to it anyway. Feeding a pair of Klipsch Heresy II's. Supposedly a 200w receiver that would never get really loud. So I rolled out the cabinet and the damn thing came on. Still no output. Yanked it out and put a MAC-1900 in there. EGADS!!! "Houston, we are go for liftoff!" That real 55w per channel really kicks some ass now. Just watched Avatar. Wow! I mean Wow! Now it ain't got a remote control, so it will be on all the time and just control the volume with the TV feeding it, but that two channel stereo receiver really puts the quality sound out. I been wanting to do that for a long time. :sunny:

I swear, MAC's are not getting any cheaper with time. I was looking for a Preamp on the eBay recently and it's scary how much they go for.

McIntosh :cheers: :sunny: One of these days I still want some big-ass blue meters in my system.
McIntoshrack1.jpg

Holy Smokes! I don't even know what I'm lookin'
at in that picture, but it sure looks impressive. :lol:

Carlos, I understand your situation completely. I had a Sony surround 5.1 (6 years) 100w per channel, it was ok for watching movies. Recently it began to malfunction going into thermal protect mode every time I turned it on, I checked all the speaker connections at both ends and found nothing wrong, I even decided to run new speaker wire and still no dice. I thought I would have it serviced and could find no one to work on it, "its a 12 year old Sony, it would cost more to repair it than its worth, and thats if we can find the parts".

So I decide to hook up my Marantz 2230 driving a pair of Advent Prodigy Towers, just a simple 2.0 system, an oh my does it sound amazing. I also re watched Avatar, just amazing sound coming out of those 2 speakers, enough bass to shake the floor and rattle the windows and sounds bouncing off the walls, I don't miss my center, rears, or powered sub-woofer at all. Should have made the switch a long time ago.