Gawith availability - update

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkhanna74

Reaction score
I called the Samuel Gawith folks two weeks ago -- they said that the next shipment to the US is scheduled for mid August. So, we won't have to wait to much longer to restock on FVF!

For those interested, I received this response to a query sent to SG two days ago:

We are continuously shipping to the US. The last shipment was 3 weeks ago and we are currently producing foe the end of April shipment. We are certainly NOT abandoning the US !! One of the problems is that the US authorities have banned all mail order from outside the US. This has obviously driven up demand on the US sources thus creating a shortage. Most of our internet suppliers here in the UK are reporting a near 40% drop in their sales due to this ban. But this does not help you. As a matter of interest we are preparing almost 3000 tins of SQL for you and hopefully you will soon be able to enjoy once more. Thank you for your patience, and above all, your loyalty

Regards
Bob Gregory

It's heartening to see SG take time to respond personally. Clearly they're trying to meet demand, which is all they can do as a small business, especially one at the mercy of agricultural products from many different global suppliers.

I am a little fascinated, though, that the ban on retail tobacco shipment to the US is a cause of the supply drought. Were there really so many American customers willing to pay double the price and waiting time to make US supplies go from "usually in stock" to "sold out in 24 hrs"?

Sweet, because I am running low on SJF. Although I do love FVF, do I dare say that lately my tastebuds have given it the backset to a few of our Dark Lord's offerings............

Doc Manhattan":diot7y13 said:
...I am a little fascinated, though, that the ban on retail tobacco shipment to the US is a cause of the supply drought. Were there really so many American customers willing to pay double the price and waiting time to make US supplies go from "usually in stock" to "sold out in 24 hrs"?
That was my thought, too. I always assumed the SG from Barber's, etc., was going to somewhere with little access to the U.S. etailers (where it was so much cheaper).

Buddy

Ok guys, help me out here 'cause I'm a little confused. As I understand it, the US has banned our ability to order tobacco products from retailers located anywhere BUT the US which has raised the demand IN the US, thus creating a shortage.

Is that what's going on?

UberHuberMan":3cbktkt5 said:
Ok guys, help me out here 'cause I'm a little confused. As I understand it, the US has banned our ability to order tobacco products from retailers located anywhere BUT the US which has raised the demand IN the US, thus creating a shortage.

Is that what's going on?
That's the gist of the official SG story. Apparently, when it was still legal, some American customers relied on international retail sales for their SG products--either as their primary source, or at least as a backup when American supplies ran low.

If this is the case, the good news is that the total worldwide supply of Sam. Gawith tobacco is still enough to meet demand; it's the distribution that's causing a snarl in the process. It'll just take a little while for retailers to respond and order in the correct wholesale amounts for their demand. It's in everyone's interests for those blends to get where they'll be sold to meet demand best.

Okaaaayyy. I'll go along with that for the sake of being a good citizen and all, even though it IS kinda a contradiction in terms' sorta thing. There's just this little niggling thing...I understand that vendors here in the USofA are not getting ALL of what they would like...either in terms of amounts or items. I mean, consider - if you were a vendor and could sell out your stock for 25% more than you normally charged and do it in an afternoon...would you seek to increase the amount of 'product' you received from a manufacturer...or stay at the same level...or maybe even get less (cause it was so much hassle to sell all that tobacco, etc.)??? I remember seeing more than one comment by an e-tailer (though I couldn't point to a specific person, mind you) that the vendors here got what they were going to get, if they were lucky...and likely weren't going to get what they wanted.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the whole thing looks as fishy as a Peterson pipe stem to me. I think it's a PLOT to get even with the colonies! I say we show our disdain through ACTION! They can't treat us like this! We won't STAND for it, I tell you! I say we demonstrate our rage with a re-enactment of a classic American act...like the Boston Tea Party!!! That's right men...it's time to DO SOMETHING! But instead of Boston this time...we have to show that our rage is felt all ACROSS the country...by dumping our evil Brit tobaccos into the "Bay" clear over on the West Coast! Yeah that's right! Time for a piper's protest ROAD TRIP!!! We'll converge on one of the oldest cities in the west...the original territorial seat and historical location of the capitol! Oregon City's the place. On July 4th of this year you'll dump your weed into the Willamette River just below the falls at Oregon City. And...if you look down river a little ways...you'll see me in my boat with the dip net...scoopin' up the glory! No need to let all the weed be a total waste and potentially pollute the Pacific Ocean and all. Yeah...what I scoop up will not only protect the environment, I'll eventually fire it up as a further protest. It'll kinda be like 'burning their crops and fields' - um, in a symbolic sense, of course. Anyway, see you there.

Whew! WAY too caffinated this morning. :face:

I was pleasently suprised when I stumbled on the SQL availability. I wasn't able to get he 50g tin, but had to break down and buy the 250g tin from CupOJoes. It was 40 bucks that I thought that worth it. I've been buying way more tobacco than I need, but I had an attack of the TAD to stock my "cellar." I may not have a lot of variety, but I have the blends I like the most!

TAD FTW!

Martin

As of today at 2:30 PM, Just for Him has a couple of lbs. of FVF bulk available.

Blackhorse":tse9y6bz said:
Well, it's gone now.

Yeah, I'm beginning to question whether the stuff ever really existed at all.

FVF is like one of those stories about UFO's that spring up every now and then. But for the highly suspect fanciful tales at TobaccoReviews.com and the occasional grainy photograph of something that could be a truly marvelous VA tobacco, but is more likely a "photo-shopped" picture of MacBaren's Virginia #1, all we seem to have as proof of its existence are the latest rumors of someone who claims to have seen it with their own eyes. Perhaps we all just group-thunk a truly marvelous VA tobacco so intensely that we believe such a thing to be true.

Oh well, off to bed, to dream of FVF, rivers of spiced rum and scantily-clad damsels....

You know, I know a bit about international trade law and I would be happy to assist the importers of SG products with this little issue.

The easiest way to do this is just ship everything to Tulsa, Oklahoma. Just air drop a thousand pounds of the stuff to my door and I'll make sure it gets distributed with the terms of the CISG.

I promise. Read my lips. Full Virginia Flake for everyone.

I'm a lawyer.

You can trust me.

:D

Never BH. I take fiduciary duties very seriously when it comes to pipe tobacco....

I try. Not going to deny the years of hard work and sacrifice that have gotten me to this point. It's really very impressive. I'm glad I can be the beacon on the hill for the pipe smoking community, a true honor.

:rabbit: