Gawith Sweet Pigtails

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Found these here...a very reputable vendor...

https://mrsnuff.com/british-c-210_273.html

A post on "what have you" by Doc999 got me going...

Passed by the Black versions as the black stuff is usually a bit off by preferred flavor profile. Dove into the Sweet lineup though...love that stuff.

Ordered one of the large Liquorice, Cinnamon, Plum & Brandy. The Rum & Whiskey were OOS.

Figure ten bucks for shipping to the USA.

These being quite strong, I plan to smoke them in a small bowl, maybe a small stack I have, or several of the pipe kits I obtained from Mark Tinsky I had bored to an appropriately small diameter and they are quite excellent smokers.

Now that sounds like a plan. These definitely sound like interesting smokes. You'll have to let us know what you think of them.

Jim

gh_sweet_cinnamon_twist_big.jpg

Well, if anyone out there has smoked the Sweet Rum Twist or other varieties of the sweet twists, they know that the "sweet" is really just a little of the edge taken off and a very little flavor added. Think of Brown Bogie with just a little sumthin sumthin extra.

I'm really quite eager for the liquorice & plum varieties. Oh! And the other ones too. 8)

The sweet rum twist is a favorite the black cherry isn't bad and of course the dreaded coconut twist that nobody seems to care for except me lol. I still think the ones you've picked should be interesting if nothing else. Plum sounds like it could be a right treat.

Maple now that sounds like one I could really love. Didn't know that was a thing. I'll have to see if I can find some of this one.

Blackhorse":qqj3vwwj said:
Well, if anyone out there has smoked the Sweet Rum Twist or other varieties of the sweet twists, they know that the "sweet" is really just a little of the edge taken off and a very little flavor added. Think of Brown Bogie with just a little sumthin sumthin extra.

I'm really quite eager for the liquorice & plum varieties. Oh! And the other ones too. 8)
I find the ones from Mr Snuff are just a bit sweeter than what is available in the US

Blackhorse":jymi3jyc said:
Is that the same as saying the Pigtails are sweeter than the Twists?
I got the licorice pigtail and the regular licorice and the pigtail is so thin. i would go with the larger ropes but the licorice one isn't very sweet. maybe the others are. Also the Maple is available from the us sellers, i think it might just be called "sweet maple" in other countries. Again I could be wrong

Blackhorse":6lv38hr2 said:
Yeah Bugs...it's available,  but no one has it.
Oh sorry horse, yea I've been waiting for the rum twist to come back in. I got a big jar of maple rope stashed away, do you like it? It good an hearty but i wish it had a heavy maple flavor. If I want maple i reach for the Brown Flake. Hey let me know what you think of the new stuff you got. I been really wanting to try some of the other GH ropes, in my experience some are topped very heavy and some aren't noticeable at all, depends on the flavoring. I want to try the SG aromatic ropes too

Blackhorse":2tqao7o4 said:
Is that the same as saying the Pigtails are sweeter than the Twists?
No, most of the twist pouches I've gotten from Mr Snuff have been twists, not the thinner pigtails.

Now this is a thread I can get into.  

Regarding different size rope tasting differently.  Ever notice how a panatela taste just a little different from a robusto?

Yeah, well aside from the differences physically re diameter and number of leaves to create same, they use different grades of leaves in the two formats...so...

Oh! Apples and oranges. Sure. Agreed.

PS: let's make it a site requirement that everyone's avatar be a dog! Woof!

It's not so much apples and oranges as one might think.  

The trick of both of them is the amount of flavor the wrapper contributes.  Before the protest, next time you slice some off you will notice the wrapper. It's not the same stuff as the various layers of the filler and it does contribute to the flavor profile. It may be subtle but there it is. A blend with  3% xxxx leaf will taste different that a blend with 6% xxxx leaf.

P.S. It's not already? Hmmmm.

Yeah, filler leaf, binder leaf & wrapper leaf. Wrapper (from what I've heard) provides something like 90% of the flavor. So you're saying that a Robusto has like twice the amount of wrapper leaf? Or does it depend on the gauge...and the resulting ratio of wrapper leaf to the amount of other tobaccos in the overall roll? Too much Physics! lol

It's like circumference compared to the area of a circle? (times length of course)

But if the filler and binder leaves had very little to do with the flavor the it would always mostly depend on how much wrapper the cigar had...per inch of smoking goodness.

But then the designers typically would account for that difference by adjusting the leaves used to make each size what it ended up being. Like sometimes a Lancero is the best stick of a certain front mark... sometimes it's the Robusto...usually the Robusto, as that's like most makers "industry standard". Or something.

I wasn't intending to 'science this biotch up".

It seems like I read an article that asked several premium cigar creators what cigar they used to create their various works., the petite corona came up most often.  Makes sense, if you have to smoke 50 cigars a day the Churchill wouldn't be a first choice.
Honestly, I'm sick to death with huge ring gauge cigars. There are a couple I have enjoyed in the past but a robusto, with traditional measurements, is as large as I want to go.

I'm not sure the amount a ropes wrapper effects the smoke. Is it as much as a cigar? Don't know, but you can tell a difference.
What I do know is that I can (usually) tell the difference between a lot of a constituent tobacco and a little of a constituent tobacco.
If you want to experiment: get three jars, put numbers on them. Cut up a pigtail and cut up a rope. Pick one or the other to make two portion with.  Have someone put the three portions into the three jars and record what is what.  Wait a week (or 15 minutes depending on your memory) so you forget what the little piles look like.  Smoke it, decide which is which, and check.  I bet 9 times out of 10 you discern a difference.