GBD 9240 Militaire

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
I thought that I was done buying GBD bulldogs, but this Militaire grade pipe really intrigued me.  It was shown last year, unrestored, on the GBD Collectors thread over on PipesMagazine.  After it was delivered, I realized that I didn't know much about the Militaire grade, only that this one is Pre-Cadogan and all appear to be sandblasted.  I thought that I overpaid, but the other Militaire sold earlier this year went for significantly more.  I was also pleased to find it only weighs 30 grams, easily the lightest GBD in my collection.  Kudo's to ebay seller "303_pipe_restoration" for the restoration work!  

gbd_9240_militaire_gallery.jpg

gbd_9240_militaire-5.jpg

gbd_9240_militaire-3.jpg

gbd_9240_militaire-4.jpg

gbd_9240_militaire-6.jpg

gbd_9240_militaire-2.jpg

gbd_9240_militaire-7.jpg

Nice score Al! That one is really unique!

Well, not actually a Unique, but it is one of a kind! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

GBD really loved their square shanks. I have a smooth deluxe billiard with a square shank though it run flat instead of the 45* like this and the other one you posted.

Now that's a no nonsense purposeful looking pipe Al.

Nice score. Pleased the pricing suited too.

ZeroContent":64wuzm8t said:
GBD really loved their square shanks. I have a smooth deluxe billiard with a square shank though it run flat instead of the 45* like this and the other one you posted.
When a "square" shank is turned 45 degrees, it's usually referred to as a "diamond" shank. When a Bulldog has a round shank, it becomes a Rhodesian, with a diamond shank, it's a Bulldog except for Dunhills which called ALL their Bulldogs with diamond shanks Rhodesians. That's Dunhill for ya !! :twisted: :twisted: BTW, AL, THAT;S one fine Doggie and a Tanshell finish to boot !! One of my faves !! :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks gents. This one has been a recent favorite, the light weight is a real plus and the stem feels great (so good, I'm surprised it doesn't have the "Hand Cut" stamp).