GBD 9438 Refurb

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
Whew, this stem was the most difficult I've encountered in my short pipe restoration experience, and I hope not to see an another one any time soon.

This is a pre-Cadogan era 9438 in Tapestry finish. The stem is called a "chairleg", I call it a finger breaker. I can usually redo a pipe (stem/bowl, no restain) in around 2 hours. The stem alone on this one took nearly three hours of sanding. I didn't want to change or alter the dimensions of the spindle style features of the stem, so I used 1500, than 2000 wet grit paper. I followed that with the final four grades of micromesh. The stem was than buffed with white diamond, than plastic polish. I had to use the paper grades wrapped around a thin kitchen knife to get in the spindle grooves.

The bowl didn't take much, but some stain came off during clean-up of the top. I'll see how that darkens with use and if it doesn't I have some stains on order (Medium brown I assume?).

After two hours in and only on the 1500/2000 grit papers, I was tempted to give up, but pushed through and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I love the 9438 shape and this will make a fine little brother rack mate for my 9676. I'll break her in with some MM965 tomorrow morning.

Before:

Finished:

The 9438 and it's big brother, a 9676 Colossus.

Great job bringing that pipe back to life.
Seems like you saw the potential there, and knew just how to bring it out!

You have a gift, sir. Seeing the potential in a pipe that others might throw out. I'm glad you stuck with it though and posted the pics.

You can send it to me quickly and at a very cheap price. Thank you.

(go ahead and send both. I mean, why not?)

Thanks guys. I actually bought this with reselling it in mind. But, now after that much work, I'm afraid I have to clear a permanent spot on the rack for this one. Well, I better smoke it first. That's next on the agenda this morning with some coffee, the paper and Breakfast With the Beatles on XM.

Great job, and certainly worth the effort. I envy your manual skills. So many people end up with over restored pieces and don´t mind, that one should always keep what´s good. But this is definitely not bad.

Kind regards
Thilo

Hot dang! From basket case to major pipe art. Awesome!

I took a few more better pictures. This baby smokes itself and will definitely be a favored pipe in my rotation.

Turned out really nice and a good smoker too. Thats what makes you feel good when you win a old crusty looking pipe off ebay and theres a beauty under the crust and wonderful smoker set free again., after a little TLC. Enjoy and glad you got a good one.

Very nice job. That pipe looks great.
I just won a basket case freehand on e-bay that I am looking forward to working on and hopefully breathing some life back into.

Jeff..

Earlier this year I refurbished a GBD 9438 in Tapestry finish and vowed never to touch a chair-leg stem again. That pipe proved to be a wonderful smoker and is a frequently pipe in my rotation. This summer, my daughter bought home a pipe smoking boyfriend, who frequently admired that little Rhodesian. After he left, I found the identical pipe on Ebay and won the auction. This 2nd 9438 was in a little better shape and the stem was not nearly as oxidized.
The bowl was in terrific shape, with very crisp nomenclature. It was reamed, then soaked with Everclear and sea salt. After the bowl was soaked, I buffed the briar with some Tripoli, White Diamond and finally a few coats of Carnuba wax. The briar is in really nice shape and the top is unmarred.

My attention then went to the stem. From the Ebay picture, I thought a piece of the brass rondell was missing. But that proved to be only grime. The stem was soaked in an oxyclean solution. It was then cleaned with 2000 grit wet paper, than micromesh. After sanding, I buffed the stem with white diamond and then plastic polish.
The pipe came out very nice. I bought it with the intention of giving it to the daughter’s boyfriend as a Christmas present. Now, which one to keep….

Before:

After, with the sister 9438 Tapestry:

Do I have to give up one of these?