George Jones dies at 81

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol'Dawg

Reaction score
for info--

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rh1EDiNlVhQ" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jim

I got to meet George and Nancy one morning back in 1997, while I was eating breakfast at Shoneys in Laurel Mississippi. He had almost finished eating breakfast, and nobody had noticed him yet, wearing his green and white John Deere ball cap.

My friend and I had been watching him, and speculating on whether or not it was actually him. As soon as we walked out the front door and saw a black Mercedes with tinted windows, I looked at my friend and said "I bet the tag says "NO SHOW!"

Sure enough, the tag read "NO SHOW 3." We grabbed some notebook paper and a pen and went back in to get his autograph. Nancy told us that she didn't think anyone would recognize him with his John Deere hat on. They were both really friendly and weren't offended at all that we interrupted their breakfast.

My only regret, is that I didn't have a bottle of vodka for him to sign. RIP Possum! :(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h2OA1ldr8H4" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RIP. Another one of the old guard is gone.

Actually, I'm surprised to learn he made it to 81. Seems like he was the epitome of the hard drinkin' country singin' good ol boys

Back in the day George Jones, Porter Wagoner, Conway Twitty, and several others defined old guard country. At least IMHO.

May they all RIP.

:cry:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":mwvxl8pm said:
Back in the day George Jones, Porter Wagoner, Conway Twitty, and several others defined old guard country. At least IMHO.

May they all RIP.
Agreed. :)

Kyle Weiss":o42rdy50 said:
Brewdude":o42rdy50 said:

May they all RIP.
Agreed. :)
Forgot to mention Merle. No discussion about the old guard country is complete without Merle.

At least he's still with us, for now anyways............

Cheers,

RR