GERMAIN

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huffelpuff":lexzbcvz said:
Glad you didn’t get ahead of yourself Zach! Going the slow route is probably the safest way to go. Germaine stuff being so hard to come by it’s really not worth the gamble. Just spritzing the tobacco while it would work it exposes you to too many ways to really screw it up. So PLEASE I beg you don’t even go there.

Enjoy it in rude good health
Jim

Don’t you worry, I’ve already got plans to pick up the necessary materials to do it right! Close call there!
Zach

Zach

I just did this rehydration technique on a couple tins from a trade that were pretty dried out, and they came out at just the right moisture level. One was '12 Erinmore Flake and the other Peterson IF.

I'll be firing them up soon and will report back if there's any noticeable loss of flavor nuances or such. Yet the jar aroma seems just fine.

Took me 2 days on each of them, as I went slowly and cautiously. Had to re-wet the cloth several times during the day, and then finally sealed it all up in Gladwrap overnight.

I used tap water, which here is pretty soft. If there's any chlorine in it I can't notice it. And while using distilled water is preferable in most instances I've done this many times with no problems of any kind, including and especially mold.

D&B's method sounds like it would work equally as well. The only thing I would add is to check on it regularly to make sure the 'baccy isn't too moist. Just a pinch between the fingers should tell you that. You'll know what moisture content is right for you.

Cheers,

RR

Rande’s method sounds spot on.

I only mentioned the Zip Lock container because my wife would probably flip if I used anything from the kitchen or linen closet for tobacco purposes. So yeah, I tread lightly.. :p

DrumsAndBeer":ojizp0jn said:
Rande’s method sounds spot on.

I only mentioned the Zip Lock container because my wife would probably flip if I used anything from the kitchen or linen closet for tobacco purposes. So yeah, I tread lightly.. :p
:lol!: :cheers: :lol!:

And don't forget that the cloth you use must not smell of perfume from fabric softener or dryer sheets. If it does - run it under hot water, wring out, and dry. Do this as many times as it takes so that it smells 100% neutral before using it for rehydration.

Cheers,

RR

Wow guys, thanks for the tips! I kinda mixed both of your instructions!
So here’s to hoping I’ll have a delicious tobacco to smoke tomorrow!!

So I’m back from my trip,
I scored again!

This is what I got! 8oz of Blackpool. The shop also had 8oz of Ramsgate, but I figured since I already had 4.5oz of dry dry stuff, (which I’m assuming will be more once it’s hydrated), I should grab something else. Plus I read Mr. JimInks And Mr. DrumsAndBeer’s reviews online. It’s not what I was hoping to score but at least I got something else to try. Now, will it keep in this bag for a while or should I just Jar it now? I don’t plan to smoke any real soon.
Thanks for the help Gentlemen!
Zach

GuitarMyFriend":fq4mwpf1 said:
Wow guys, thanks for the tips! I kinda mixed both of your instructions!
So here’s to hoping I’ll have a delicious tobacco to smoke tomorrow!!

So I’m back from my trip,
I scored again!

This is what I got! 8oz of Blackpool. The shop also had 8oz of Ramsgate, but I figured since I already had 4.5oz of dry dry stuff, (which I’m assuming will be more once it’s hydrated), I should grab something else. Plus I read Mr. JimInks And Mr. DrumsAndBeer’s reviews online. It’s not what I was hoping to score but at least I got something else to try. Now, will it keep in this bag for a while or should I just Jar it now? I don’t plan to smoke any real soon.
Thanks for the help Gentlemen!
Zach
You should either jar it or keep the pouch in a large jar.

Why buy tobacco if you're not going to smoke it in the very near future? Open the pouch, remove enough to smoke now and jar the rest. Tobacco in jars are much safer than what is sitting in a pouch.

Either jar it in smaller jars so you only have a few ounces open at a time or just jam the whole bag into a jar for now. The bags can NOT be trusted to be sealed. The tiniest pinhole and you could easily end up rehydrating that whole pouch too. Just not worth the risk. Especially as some tobaccos seem to really lose a certain something when they dry out like that and rehydration just doesn't bring it back.

Jim

Oh and some do just fine when rehydrated but do you really want to spend that kind of money to find out if this is one of those tobaccos?????

SpeedyPete":65vzoavw said:
Why buy tobacco if you're not going to smoke it in the very near future?  Open the pouch, remove enough to smoke now and jar the rest.  Tobacco in jars are much safer than what is sitting in a pouch.
Only because I have enough opened right now that I would like to finish before I open something else up, I’m not sure if it’s just me, but having too much open at a time gives me Anxiety. I don’t jar my tins like some of you guys do. I just have some stuff open, and I smoke on that. Plus, having to drive 4 hours away just to find it is the reason I grab it when I see it. Even if I’m not going to smoke it in the near future, that makes holding onto it for a little bit easier. (For me). Once I jar it (that seems to be the general concensus so far), I will definately take a bowl out to give it a try.

And Jim, oh no I don’t want to find out. That’s why I asked if I oughtta jar it or not, assuming some of you Beothers have purchased those 8oz. pouches before and had experience with them, as I do not!

Thanks Fellas!

Zach

So today I received package today from Mr. BriarBeagle. He was kind enough to send me some Esoterica Tasters! I got;
Peacehaven
And So To Bed
Stonehaven
Dunbar
And Tillbury! Once I got home I had an AWESOME bowl of Peacehaven! Quite the mild smoke, but just delicious all the same!
Now I’m onto And So To Bed. This is a bit of a different smoke, not bad, but... different! I’m only a little ways into it, but I do like it? Maybe if it were without the fruity topping? Luckily, Mr. BriarBeagle was kind enough to give me two to three smoke samples, so I’ll be able to sort them out further!

I really appreciate the Samples BriarBeagle!!!
Can’t wait till tomorrow to go through one or two more!

Zach