Germain's Brown Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babysinister

Reaction score
Part of this post is a tobacco advisory.

I just jarred a tin of BF that spent a year in my cellar. Before that, it seems to have had a long shelf time at the e-tailer's. The wax paper wrapper was saturated with brown stain, which usually means good things have happened to this baccy. Dunno, this is my first tin. The tin note smelled like dense, swampy fermented flake. I'm giving it some jar time before I smoke the first bowl. That's how I roll.

For those of you (if indeed there are any here) who have Brown Flake in your rotation, my advice is to consume what you have at a judicious pace: I just clicked on the products tab at the JFGermain website and couldn't locate Brown Flake among its current listing of pipe tobacco offerings.

http://www.jfgermain.co.je/history.html#

Thank you for the information!
Time to order more for the cellar.

Thanks, I always wanted to try this one. So I picked up a tin at my local tobacconist yesterday, just in case. It was the last on the shelf, but after checking my usual online stores I found it still available.

There must still be enough BF in stock out there to allow us to gather some of it, to tide us over for at least a while. That they left it out of their catalog is a rather conclusive indication, imo, that it will not continue to be produced. Since this must be one of their bestselling baccies, I still find this possibility very confusing. :shock:

Finally, I gave the Germain’s Brown Flake a whirl in my new Parker (Estate).

The first visual impression when opening the tin were the brown stains on the wax paper:

germainsclosed.jpg

and the dark brown pieces of flake:

germainsopen.jpg

The scent I’d describe as fruity/floral and maybe a bit cigar-like. Peterson’s Irish Flake scents somewhat similar, but the Germain’s is a bit more subtle.

I folded and stuffed the tobacco and lit it two or three times: The taste was a revelation! For a straight Virginia (from what it says on the tin), this one is really spicy (it tastes very similar to the scent from the open tin), but infinitely mild to the tongue. I realised I was puffing a bit too greedily, because I couldn’t get enough of that awesome taste, but didn’t get any tonguebite whatsoever.

So this one is highly recommended! Treat yourselves to this as long as it’s still available on the market! :!:

I just now saw this thread and nearly snorted a rib bone out of my nose! :affraid:

Checking their website still shows no mention of Brown Flake.

I emailed their info link with the basic question. Will share any and all data.

OK! These folks are on the ball. Bright and early I checked my email and sure enough, there was a response from the fine folks at Germain's! Below is the text...
Addressed to Brothers of Briar...

"Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your interest in our products.
Be assured that Brown Flake is not discontinued, and will be available in the future.
Yours faithfully,

J.F.Germain & Son Ltd"

...looks like we're safe boys! Have a Merry Christmas. :santa:

Blackhorse":3ildmd51 said:
OK! These folks are on the ball. Bright and early I checked my email and sure enough, there was a response from the fine folks at Germain's! Below is the text...
Addressed to Brothers of Briar...

"Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your interest in our products.
Be assured that Brown Flake is not discontinued, and will be available in the future.
Yours faithfully,

J.F.Germain & Son Ltd"

...looks like we're safe boys! Have a Merry Christmas. :santa:
Thanks for finding that out Balckhorse! I was taking steps to sequester the entire UK supply of the flake after reading the OP.