Germain's Special Latakia Flake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeCulture

Reaction score
Jing-a-ling-a-ling!!!!

Good Day, All. It's that time again. I'm in need of some validation here. A response to one of my youtube videos regarding Esoterica Penzance included a mention of a so-called must-try alternative known as Germain's Special Latakia Flake.

Now, before I fall for the okee-doke, I'd like to know some of your opinions. The tobaccoreviews.com reviews are sort of all over the place however, I have seen two reviews that liken it to Penzance. I'm not swayed, though. As a matter of fact I'd bet a nickel that the youtuber who recommended it was also one of those two tobaccoreviews.com reviewers :lol:

Thanks,
-- M

P.S.: They also recommended McBaren's Honey Chocolate when I mentioned Boswell's Piper's Pleasure which IMMEDIATELY gave me pause. I tried Honey Chocolate once and I didn't get Honey or Chocolate out of that tin. Maybe it was a bad batch but then again I don't see smokingpipes.com selling rotten product.

I like both blends, but Penzance still ranks higher in my estimation. SLF is similar in that it's also a crumble cake, and it does have some wonderful flavor. But the tins I've smoked have been inconsistent. The last tin of SLF I opened had a huge vein of light-colored leaf through the middle, surrounded by dark leaf (the Latakia I presumed). So it was difficult to get a good amount on Latakia in each pipeful. however, I have had tins that were similar to Penzance. So maybe I've had one or two bad tins.

SLF is still a favorite for me, a step below Penzance but still an excellent blend.

Jimbo":7y7l3ein said:
I like both blends, but Penzance still ranks higher in my estimation. SLF is similar in that it's also a crumble cake, and it does have some wonderful flavor. But the tins I've smoked have been inconsistent. The last tin of SLF I opened had a huge vein of light-colored leaf through the middle, surrounded by dark leaf (the Latakia I presumed). So it was difficult to get a good amount on Latakia in each pipeful. however, I have had tins that were similar to Penzance. So maybe I've had one or two bad tins.

SLF is still a favorite for me, a step below Penzance but still an excellent blend.
Thanks for the info!!! I get a certain smoked meat characteristic from Penzance. Assuming you've experienced the same, does SLF offer this type characteristic as well? If so, I'll definitely have to pick up a tin.

I just read a page of reviews of this tobacco on TR, and what I came away with is that the latakia and VA combine; the latakia isn't heavy. I especially like moderate use of latakia such that it provides a dusky backdrop instead of a bomb. There were also a number of reviews that noted that this is tobacco must undergo vigorous dehumidification. When that is the case I dry the whole tin before jarring. What a pain to have to dry it bowl by bowl.

I'm going to get a tin.

I have puffed a couple of tins of SLF and generally like it, but it's somewhat inconsistent, compared to Penzance. Being lighter on the Latakia, it is more dependent on the Virginias and Orientals, but in some pipes I have had some stellar sessions. I am still trying to decode it, since it's more of an all day blend. Maybe what I've eaten or drunk prior to the SLF affects my experience.

Penzance is not ambiguous.

hp
les