German Hunter Pipe in the movies

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momus

Reaction score
So I was watching the classic 1931 movies Frankenstein and Dracula, both made by Universal, and noticed that both featured what seems to be the same German style hunter pipe. Frankenstein's father has one in the first scene we see him in. And then, in Dracula, when Renfield goes to the village in the beginning of the film, the main villager is seen with what appears to be the same pipe.
Just thought it was interesting. Such an odd prop pipe, if that was what it was. Frankenstein seemed to be more a period piece (roughly 19th century) and in Germany so such a pipe makes sense. Although the clothing seems somewhat off. Dracula (which was not made as a period piece) has the pipe being used in Transylvania. Its interesting how they used to use the same sets and set pieces for multiple movies (i.e. The Terror and the Haunted Palace).

Interesting.
Both movies are favorites of mine, and I'll definitely be watching both during this Halloween season, although The Bride of Frankenstein is tops in my book.

I will try to find and watch those I would like to see the pipe, You dont see a pipe in the movies often unless its a older period piece. I was glad to see in the movie "The Expendables" Mickey Rourke smoking a pipe, and a churchwarden at that.