Getting just a bit tired of this …

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, all that accumulated on that sloppy morning was gone by that same afternoon…rain and sunshine did their job. Then, of course, we woke this morning to another overnight snow on the ground.

It’s an unusually big deal around here since we RARELY get snow on the ground…like once or twice in a Winter every two to four years. So in an area characterized by steep and shallow hills, driven on by a population of 2 1/2 million that are inexperienced on the slippery stuff and drive vehicles that don’t have the right tires, etc. Yeah, it’s a damn mess. I stay home. Unless I want some ice cream.

IMG_7785.jpeg

Have the same problem here with people from Cali moving in who have never driven in snow. The idiots with AWD think that means they can go anywhere like they show in the ads. They don't realize that AWD won't keep them from sliding down the hills we have here. First snow there are always a dozen cars in the ditch. Lol.

Have the same problem here with people from Cali moving in who have never driven in snow. The idiots with AWD think that means they can go anywhere like they show in the ads. They don't realize that AWD won't keep them from sliding down the hills we have here. First snow there are always a dozen cars in the ditch. Lol.
Agreed. Living in Oregon and S.E. Alaska I’ve rarely owned a 4x4…pretty much always a FWD sedan or hatch, etc. And it seems that every time we get a snow or deep hail (since I always seem to have to go steeply uphill to get home) I end up going into the oncoming lane to drive around the AWD SUV idiots that are stopped or sliding downhill backwards. The last time it happened my adult daughter was with me…going steeply uphill through a few inches of sloppy hail. Treacherous! There they were…three SUV’s stopped dead halfway up the hill. I keep going without slowing…but not accelerating. My daughter starts howling for me to STOP, Wrong. With my teeth clenched I go wide to the left and around all three SUV’s and right on up the hill. Yes, traction control was putting power to whichever of the front wheels that have grip. Still not accelerating I kept clawing upward, slowing little by little until I crested the hill and away we went. At least it worked that once. My daughter? She acted like I’d plucked her out of a barrel about to go over Niagara Falls.

One thing that makes it joyful is wondering what the stuck guys in their Jeeps and Explorers were thinking as my little KIA SOUL went by them and made it over the top. Sweetness!

Agreed. Living in Oregon and S.E. Alaska I’ve rarely owned a 4x4…pretty much always a FWD sedan or hatch, etc. And it seems that every time we get a snow or deep hail (since I always seem to have to go steeply uphill to get home) I end up going into the oncoming lane to drive around the AWD SUV idiots that are stopped or sliding downhill backwards. The last time it happened my adult daughter was with me…going steeply uphill through a few inches of sloppy hail. Treacherous! There they were…three SUV’s stopped dead halfway up the hill. I keep going without slowing…but not accelerating. My daughter starts howling for me to STOP, Wrong. With my teeth clenched I go wide to the left and around all three SUV’s and right on up the hill. Yes, traction control was putting power to whichever of the front wheels that have grip. Still not accelerating I kept clawing upward, slowing little by little until I crested the hill and away we went. At least it worked that once. My daughter? She acted like I’d plucked her out of a barrel about to go over Niagara Falls.

One thing that makes it joyful is wondering what the stuck guys in their Jeeps and Explorers were thinking as my little KIA SOUL went by them and made it over the top. Sweetness!
When I lived in the midwest all I drove for years were heavy rear wheel drive sedans like Ford LTDs with studded snow tires. Never got stuck once. Finally bought a Ford F150 4WD for hunting.

There is always a seasonal learning curve here in Winnipeg. That being said every storm there is a rash of people who seem to forget how to drive in winter over the course of a week. I'll never understand that, I just stay off the road until common sense kicks in after a storm - which seems to take longer every time. The storm we just had should have interesting results, we had a day of rain and sleet to glaze the roads before the snow. I expect the stupidity index to be elevated for several days.

I have driven through snow and ice all my life and I agree with Blackhorse that the key to winter driving is conservation of momentum and the controlled redirection of force. I have never owned an automatic transmission vehicle in my life although I have driven many. I firmly believe a manual transmission gives you greater control in adverse conditions regardless of the drivetrain F/RWD. I have never driven anything 4WD but a tractor.

Going out to clear my yard, BBL.

Last edited: