Getting my Baccy back

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chailover

Reaction score
I read on another website regarding pipe tobaccos that a good way to bring back a bit of moisture or to keep tobacco from completely drying out was to place a slice of lemon on top of a piece of paper placed atop the tobacco in a sealed container. I tried this and it ruined the flavor of my tobacco. In fact it sucked the best aspects of the flavor out while leaving a slight citrus one behind. Has anyone else heard of this or know if there's a way to bring the flavor back? Does anyone know of a better and less intrusive way to bring a bit of moisture back to really dried out tobaccos-or, are dried out tobaccos really a bad thing? Thanks in advance.

I've never heard of using lemon but have heard of using apple, potato and pear. I don't do either. That's begging for mold.
I use an empty Skoal can with some absorbent florists foam in it. I drilled holes in the plastic "tin" so that I can wet the foam with distilled water and toss it in a the jar if re-hydrating a large amount of tobacco.
I use the small Humidrole buttons if re-hydrating a small amount of weed.
A chunk of terra cotta clay soaked in water works well too.
You can dump your weed in a bowl and cover with a damp towel and let the tobac absorb what it wants to absorb.
Nothing will bring back the lost flavor but these methods will recover dried out tobacco to a smokeable degree.

Many thanks WilliamCharles. I'll take your suggestions to heart the next time I do need to rehydrate...

I have also been told that putting the tobacco in a sealed container next to a slightly damp paper towel will restore it in 12 hours or so, but it will likely never be as good as if it had never dehydrated.

You live and you learn. Or at least one should.From your thoughtful reply and one from another it's a big help. Thanks again!

Me? Ah unfortunately when I was filling out the profile details I was expecting to be able to buy a Boswell pipe any day, as it turned out I've had to put it on the back burner for a while, I had a lot of bills ambush me at once and just couldn't justify another expense. But its on the list, it will come one day. A lot of the guys here own Boswells though, and can probably give you a better idea. It surprised me but apparently they are not as universally liked as I imagined, though it may be an aesthetic thing.

That's interesting. I found out about Bossy's through a YouTube video. Checked their site and was intrigued. I hope to own one one day myself. Maybe in the fall if I can line my duckets up properly. Thanks for the response Greyson.

Tobacco "steam bath." Do searches on the forum/Internet/et al. Works brilliant.

8)

For a quick return, follow what Kyle has suggested. If you are trying to store it at the right tobacco, or bring back a full tin, I do the following: which is to put a moisture tablet in with the tobacco for a while. One tablet left in the tin or the jar until you get back to it. When you do get back to that particular tobacco just take the tablet out and you should be fine for a long time, especially if you have jarred the baccy.