Getting my second pipe (help!)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrozenfearz

Reaction score
Hello community,

I'm planning on making my second pipe purchase within the next few days and would love for some input from this experienced community.

As a college student, my budget is a tad bit limited. I'd put the upper limit at around $70-$80 (USD) for something quality, but if I can get a much better pipe for just $5-10 more I don't mind ponying up the extra.

My first pipe is a Stanwell. I just read over in this forum (https://www.brothersofbriar.com/ye-olde-pipe-rack-f3/something-is-rotten-in-denmark-t5166.htm) that Stanwell will be outsourced their production and closing their original factory. This leads me to want to rush out and buy another Stanwell before all the Danish-made pipes are gone.

However, I don't want to limit myself in any way, so if buying something like a Peterson would be the much better choice, then I want you guys to tell me that.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
phrzn

You can't go wrong with what is suggested above but another couple of pipes that I would suggest in that price range are Jirsa and Vauen. IMHO they in the same category as Petersons, Stanwells, Nordings, and Savanellis in that price range for construction, quality and smokeability. Mastro Beraldi might be another one.

Are you only looking at new pipes?

I can look through pipes and see if I can let go of some. I know I've been meanin to sell some of my Savinellis.

@Texas Outlaw, I could be tempted. This whole "breaking in" process of briars is quite daunting, though I think I'm doing alright with my current one. Let me know if you find any you're looking to get rid of. (Though I think I'm leaning towards getting a new one.)

I say go estate....

More pipe for the money... Little or no break in....

If buying sight unseen do ask questions... 'Why are you selling it?'. 'What was smoked in it?'. 'Are there any obvious flaws?'. Etc etc.

Like texas Outlaw, I have a few pipes I could sell... Stanwells and Petes... There's probably a dozen or two other guys with pipes they could part with... Its ok to place 'want ads' in the 'trading' section of the board.

Is there any particular style of pipe you are looking for?

Peterson, especially the p-lip and the system-well idea, are worth exploring, though they may not be for everyone.

But the boys are right - best bang for the buck is probably through members here who have too dang many pipes, and who probably take better care of them than the average joe.

Alright, well I've received a few PMs from several of you regarding estate pipes. I apologize for my brief hiatus; I have a final exam coming up tomorrow so I've been studying day in and day out for the past few days.

I'm finally taking a break now to say hey and then to go relax with my Stannie. :)

Sir
Also you can get some great Nordings for that price as well as ascorti. I well say and some dissagree with me but I will say it anyway you wont be able to tell the defference in the smoking ability from a $80.00 pipe or a $300.00 pipe but you can form a $30.00 to a $80.00 however the higher price will be a nicer looking pipe as the wood grain and just the outward apperance.
Best Regards
Richard

Frankly I'd feel a whole lot better to see phrozen post again....

Troll gifted him some pipes and he appears to have disappeared....

puros_bran":9ki7p0y6 said:
Frankly I'd feel a whole lot better to see phrozen post again....

Troll gifted him some pipes and he appears to have disappeared....
Haha, I appreciate the concern, but there's no need to worry about me. I've just been so busy with school starting up and I also just began reactor training, so I'm constantly away from the computer. I've also been pursuing a job that I am going in to an interview for today.

The pipes are all Stanwells, and smoke very well. One was a wee bit bitter for my taste, so I'll be doing the alcohol cleaning process to it when I get the time to. My first pipe was a Stanwell, and now I've received a few more.. All I can say is that I'm very disappointed that they are done. Fantastic pipes (but of course, I don't have much to compare to).

Cheers,
phrzn

Well he aint dead... I see he logged on this AM...

Phrozen, get your butt in here and talk to us man :D :D :D

(Looks like we were typing at the same time)

Good deal!
Glad to see ya back in here posting...

Jobs are overrated. :D :D :D

Reactor training? As in, nuclear reactor training?

Okay, I don't blame you for not posting more often.

I don't want a China Syndrome meltdown at some nuclear plant because you were over here writing about your favorite brand of pipe cleaner instead of paying attention.

Jobs are overrated, but when you need some cash, what else can a self-respecting man do?

Yeah, as in nuclear reactor training. The only reactor (Rx for short) I will be licensed for, however, is the PULSTAR, an academic research Rx. We're not allowed to operate at more than 1MW, though we're convinced we could do 1.4 without problems (that's the NRC for you). It's a full of year of training followed by an NRC exam for the license.

As far as melting down the core... You'd have a hard time melting down the core, as the Rx pretty much takes care of itself. You only have to manage the post-scram clean-up as an operator.

Aside from that, until lab reports kick in I really have no excuse for not being active here so I'll try to be around my computer more often. Once lab report season begins, however, I make no promises.