Getting my son to sleep in his crib: The fun begins tonight

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Tex

Reaction score
Well, the wife and I decided that tonight is the night that we get our 6.5 month old son to sleep in his crib. Until now, we have had him sleeping in his pack-n-play in our bedroom. We tried the crib approach before, and the most we got was a couple of hours of sleep before he wook up and cried and cried until we relocated him to our bedroom.

I am dreading coming home tonight, because I know it's gonna be a sleepless night o' hell for all involved. Anyone have any tips? :no: :|

Momma always used whiskey on me, but I hear with parenting today it's more iPads and the promise of a new car. :lol: Generation gap.

8)
not a parent

this will sound a little crazy to you right now. Enjoy it.

When he is asking you to use the car, it will seem like it has been about 2 weeks since you were worried about this 8)

but to your point, you will have to let him cry it out a couple times. Hard to do, but the only way.

good luck brother!

Kyle Weiss":xwhtkz4s said:
Momma always used whiskey on me, but I hear with parenting today it's more iPads and the promise of a new car. :lol: Generation gap.

8)
not a parent
Not sure about whiskey...if his preference in baby cereal is any indicator of what his preference of adult beverage will be...then he is an Oatmeal Stout fan. :)

petertschantz":ls5dchlq said:
this will sound a little crazy to you right now. Enjoy it.

When he is asking you to use the car, it will seem like it has been about 2 weeks since you were worried about this 8)

but to your point, you will have to let him cry it out a couple times. Hard to do, but the only way.

good luck brother!
Thanks! I shall need all the luck I can get. I have half an hour left until i go home. I'm giving myself a pep talk internally...like Leonidas gave the Spartans before they marched to their glorious death. Or something. :)

Yep cry it out. For our kids, the oldest exhausted herself quickly and soon took to her crib. The younger was stubborn.

For the youngest we set a timer. After the timer went off, if she was still crying we would pick her up and calm her down. We then put her back in the crib, reinforcing that we loved her and she would have to adjust to the new arrangement. We set the timer again, adding more minutes. After a couple of nights we no longer needed the timer (it was for us) and she grew to love her crib.

Steel your nerves. You'll need it!

2 kids - 6 and 8.

First start off by just getting him to fall asleep in his room...rock him in his chair. Then try to get him into the crib without waking him up (good luck with this part...took about a month with our daughter). If he sleeps for a few hours in there and then wakes up try to get him back to sleep in there...if not, there is nothing wrong with taking him back to your room and putting him down where he is comfortable. Just remember this is a process that takes time.

There has been some research that shows the "cry themselves to sleep" meathod might actually be causing damage becuase of the levels of cortisol (the stress hormone) that are released while they are crying themselves to sleep.

I slept in the spare room with our oldest (she's almost 3 now) until she was weaned...about 14 months and then she went to her own bed with no problems (we had about a month of transition where she would make it half the night in her own bed and then the other half with me). Our son ( 15 months) is almost weaned and ready to get the same treatment.

Above all, do what is right for your family situation and don't worry about the looks you might get from other people or the constant "you should do it this way" (and no, I'm not telling you to do it my way...I'm just telling you what works for my family)

Good luck....and remember sleep, for everyone, is important.

Let him cry till he passes out, I joke. With mine we made him sleep in the crib from the get go. I like my sleep and if the wife wants to sleep with him she can get in his bed. I'm starting on getting rid of the sippy cup at night soon , I'm gonna go with the taking it away all at once. Rather do it with a few nights of terror instead of dragging out the fun for several weeks.

Live update: Fifteen minutes of solid screaming thus far. Good times. :no:

Bummer Tex, I am Glad I am done with all the child rearing, I am ready to be called Grandpa, wife says I am nutz and wants to shoot me every time I mention it...LOL

Live update again: Son is asleep now, after 42 minutes of continuous hollering. Daddy needs a smoke. :shock:

Woohoo, congrats brother. It's a rough transition but it aids later on too. Enjoy your smoke...I would think that some Murray's Warrior Plug would be in order about now.

kaiser83":1hvohhd3 said:
Woohoo, congrats brother. It's a rough transition but it aids later on too. Enjoy your smoke...I would think that some Murray's Warrior Plug would be in order about now.
Thanks! Alas, no warrior plug to be had. My victory celebration involves MacBaren vanilla cream and a healthy slug of Glenfiddich 12yr. :pirat:

6.5 months? Dang - in our book that's starting off early. Our daughter didn't leave our room til she was 2, almost 3, but that comes with the insecurity of dad always getting deployed...

glad it worked out so far Tex. I've been through it with my kids, and now grand babies. Not fun, but necessary.

I read your update after 15 minutes and I had to bundle up and step out for a smoke :D

I feel your pain brother. My little guy is 10 mos. We had him in the crib after week two or so, but we always put him down after he nursed. We had a hell of time with him waking up through the night. Finally when he was about 9 mos old we talked to his pediatrician and she said that we shouldn't be letting him fall asleep while nursing and that we should put him in the crib while he was still awake. The theory is that he'll become comfortable falling asleep on his own in his crib and will be able to fall back asleep when he wakes up in the middle of the night. She swore it would only take three nights before he started to understand. She was right, third night he went down without a single sob, but that first night was brutal. I killed half a bottle of whiskey without noticing.

After he fell asleep, he woke up one time for about ten seconds, then fell back asleep for eight hours straight. :cheers:

Some say the child can sense or even hear the heart beat of the mother or father, and when you move them to a crib they can't sleep with out that sound,
they actually make electronic clocks with "sound therapy", or for lack of better words a noise machine, my wife picked one up off of ebay cause I sleep better when there is some sort of "white noise" the digital alarm clock with sound therapy she picked up has a bunch of different sounds like train, thunder, rain, ocean, traffic, several others but one is a heart beat, perhaps this might work for some of you? I don't think they had that when my kids were babies

Found this on the bay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Noise-Sound-Machine-Stress-Sleep-Sound-Relaxation-Sound-Therapy-Spa-Baby-Aid-/150982961113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23274927d9

Update again: Little dude has been sleeping in his crib without a problem ever since that first night (fingers crossed). He only wakes up once for a bottle. :D :cheers: :cheers: :bounce: