Getting ready for thanksgiving

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight rider

Reaction score
Firing up the smoker today to prep for Thanksgiving. On the menu is:

1) 20 lb turkey

2) 4 cornish game hens

I will be using charcoal and seasoned pecan wood. birds will be dry rubbed with

my blend of spices,,,like it on the hot side..

As for party flavors for the cook its going to be a blend of tablescraps tobacco from

the tobacconist ( belive it or not this is good) in one of my cobs. Do not want to get

grease on my Briars, and some cold Bud light.

What are the rest of my brothers fixing for Thanksgiving?

:cheers: HAPPY HOLIDAYS :cheers:

Roast turkey, cornbread dressing, stuffed mushrooms. deviled eggs, mashed taters and gravy, green beans almondine, sweetpotato casserole and cheesecake.

Sounds like a great meal...Im in Iraq so Ill eat at the chow hall...last years Thanksgiving meal was pretty damn good though....They definatly provide us with i great meal and plenty of it...

The only down side is I dont get to watch football....and I will enjoy me a nice bowl full after work..

Ya I have to work that day...but i will get my belly full and enjoy me a good smoke in the pipe non the less

Happy thanksgiving all

Rick

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless you and all your brothers and sisters in arms. Thank you for what you do! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Well, with all of my friend being diabetic now and anticipation preparing in case they choose to spend it to me, I will try to be more health conscious.

The good thing is that turkey is healthy. I like to prepare my turkey in a brown paper bag if I can find one; this makes the juiciest turkey I've ever had. I just rub the inside of the bag with butter. Add pepper and my all spice blend (pepper, cayenne, tumeric, garlic powder). Then staple the bag.

For sides, stuffing is out. Mashed potatos are out. So I'm thinking of some nice mustard, turnip, and/or collard greens with black eyed peas. Kidney beans. Some nice colliflower and brocoli.

I'm up for suggestions for diabetic friendly dishes.

The concept of Thanksgiving is great, but the application of the concept is almost always yields less than desired results.

We will be hosting about 20 folks at our place. Last year (and the year before that) I've fried 2 turkeys, but this summer I got a smoker so this year we'll have 1 fried and 1 smoked. As far as the rest, I have no idea, that's in the wife's hands.

If you have never tried fried turkey you are missing out on something, I've never had more moist turkey.

We'll head over to my aunts, who is an excellent cook. Last year she wore herself out so asked all the ladies in the family to bring a side dish while she handles the main course (Va Ham & Turkey(sometimes wild)) and deserts (her specialty). My wife is making her delicious scalloped potatoes. We'll sit around eating like pigs and watching football, this has been our families tradition since I can remember.

No turkey at our feast--a duck and a chicken instead. (Everyone endured years of awful turkey while my grandparents were amongst the quick, and after we realized that nobody else liked the bird enough to justify the trouble.)

All the sterotypical trimmings, including the Three-Can green bean casserole... which is admittedly just a delivery mechanism for those Durkee French Fried Onions.

I'm doing a duck as well... found a recipe for a five hour cooking time that I've wanted to try for years now. Just me and maybe my kid so no worries if it's not all that it's cracked up to be. :lol:

Thanksgiving Day is my personal favorite holiday. We will be going to my Wife's Aunt's house. It remains to be determined as to what dish I will be making / bringing. Maybe some seafood gumbo.........

I am lucky enough to have cigar / pipe friendly in-laws who will be joining me on the patio for a "heavy duty smoke & aperitif / digestifs session" before & after dinner.

I will have to dig deep into the cellar and bring some extra special tobacco.
I am thinking about cracking some of the Buffleheads!!!!!!!!!!!!! NICE. :king:

If you're a Thanksgiving dinner, but you don't like the stuffing or the cranberry sauce or anything else, just pretend like you're eating it, but instead, put it all in your lap and form it into a big mushy ball. Then, later, when you're out back having cigars with the boys, let out a big fake cough and throw the ball to the ground. Then say, "Boy, these are good cigars!".
From "Deep Thoughts," by Jack Handey.

We're going camping with another family or two from Wed through Sunday. On Thanksgiving Day we'll head up to be with our families for the day. We'll have the normal stomachs jammed with turkey and associated fixings while actually trying to be thankful for God's bounty and blessings in our lives.

We're "fixin'" to drive to Houston come Wednesday am. I'll eat whatever the in-laws and out-laws prepare!!! Lots of good beer and wine on the menu!! FTRPLT