Getting started - need advise

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Porculo

Reaction score
I have been a pipe smoker for a looooong time, and have occasionally enjoyed a cigar here and there. I have never kept a humidor and, lately, I've been thinking about it. Keeping a humidor at home seems to be a different beast from keeping a pipe cellar; humidity requirements, humidifiers, etc.

I am thinking about keeping a small humidor case (say, 15-25 cigar capacity) and was wondering if you wouldn't mind teaching and old dog a new trick. I have some specific questions, but please feel free to add any other information you think might be helpful.

1.- I know some cigar varieties can be kept together in the same humidor, but I am concerned about one cigar accidentally flavoring another one. What cigars can be kept together and what can't When answering this question, keep in mind I am not going to keep flavored cigars.

2.- What is the best/ideal humidity range for a humidor?

3.- How often should I check the humidity?

4.- Do cigars age as well as pipe tobacco?

Thanks in advance for the info.

1) some humidors have cedar dividers that can be used to separate different varieties, however cross contamination should be kept at a minimum at the rate you'll probably smoke them. Just remember not to take them out of the cellophane if they touch each other. Oh, and do not keep pipe tobacco or flavored cigars in your humidor.
2)best humidity rand is between 65%-72%. 70% is supposed to be the industry standard. Once you start you may find that certain sticks burn better at a dryer humidity or visa versa.
3) Once you get your humidor seasoned, not often. I have a nice glass top so I can see the hygrometer at all times. That means I don't have to open the humidor to check it. And please, for the love of Pete, stay away from analog hygrometers.
4)Cigars are supposed to age well, but they do require turning every so often. I personally have noticed a more noticeable short term change with pipe tobacco then cigars. After about 2 years you really can notice an aged pipe tobacco. Cigars sort of depend on the stick. I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference until after 5 years.

In a small humidor I will assume you will be buying singles (not boxes). If they come in cellophane, simply leave the celophane on and your cigars will not touch. I never worried about mixing cigars, have a 250 count humidor with a bunch of different sticks not in celophane and never noticed an issue.

70% humidity and use beads. [ Link ] Beads are extremely easy and low maintenance. I only check my box every three months or so for humidity and it's never dropped more than 6 or 7 percent. Of course, that depends on how often you open the box and how good the seal is on it. Make sure you pre season your humidor (google it). My beads have been in use over 5 years now and are still working great.

Cigars do age, but differently.

any hygrometer you get you should check it/calibrate it by doing a salt test, it is super simple to do and you can find all kinds of instruction on how to do it online
a humidor should really only be filled to about 1/2 of it's labeled capacity, but I have never followed that rule, and remember larger ring gauges will mean less room , so find out what size you are fancy to before you decide on what size humidor, I say go bigger than you think you need

One other option I'd suggest for humidity regulation are Bovdea pouches. They're foolproof, and in addition to releasing moisture they also absorb it, so you don't have to worry about mold if you live in a humid environment.

If you don't care what your humidor looks like, you can even just use a glass "tupperware" style container with a locking, gasket-ed lid. Add a Boveda pouch at your desired RH and you're good to go.

I've been smoking, collecting, and aging cigars for over two decades, and in order of importance I'd say these are the most significant rules:

1) keep temperature under 75 degrees Fahrenheit. It's impossible to know if any of your cigars contain cigar beetle eggs, and so it's safest to assume that they do. Beetles won't hatch if the temperature is under 75 degrees.

2) keep the humidity under 75%. Mold is bad. Enough said.

3) keep the humidity above 60% for storage. Slightly over dry cigars can be re-hydrated, moldy cigars go in the compost pile.

I keep my humidor at 65%. It's in my basement, which hold a fairly steady 65 degrees year round.

I find that much like pipe tobacco, cigars smoke better when dried a bit. I dry box my cigars for a few hours in an old cigar box before smoking them when possible.

Oh, and if you are in the market for a proper wood humidor, the Savoy humidors by Ashton are a good value. Happy smoking!

I do 69% humidity (using a combination of heartfelt and Boveda), and aim for 68ºF-70ºF....been perfect for me.

I know there's varying opinion on this but I throw my boxes of cigars in the freezer when they arrive for 48 hours to guarantee any eggs are dead.