GH&Co. Scotch Flake; Scented or Not?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Tkach

Reaction score
The description of the leaf sounds great, as do reviews on TR.com. But there are two blends there: scented and unscented, and one of the two reviews of the scented version said it tastes just like the unscented. Further googling did not turn up any store that sold both versions, unlike dark flake and brown flake which seem to be available either way. But some stores had it labeled as scented and others as unscented. Are there actually two different blends or is there a big mix-up?

Thomas, I was on a big "scented" G&H kick for a while, frankly I still am. But the only Scotch Flake that I have had from G&H is often sold as Scotch Flake Aromatic. It's definitely scented.

From what I understand the regular Scotch Flake and Broken Scotch Cake are similar and by G&H standards considered to be unscented. However, I have sampled both scented and unscented vesions of other blends like Brown Flake and Dark Flake & I still taste that subtle distinct G&H flavor in both of the "unscented" versions of these two blends. A little cross-flavoring in production maybe? Not sure, but it's there. Thankfully, I enjoy it.

My understanding is that this is a labeling mix-up. I can't find the post right now, but someone on another forum contacted the distributor or GH directly, and it was confirmed that there is only one Scotch Flake. I have purchased it from retailers selling it as "Unscented," "Scented," and "Aromatic," and it's all the same stuff. Very tasty if a bit too sweet to smoke every day (for me anyway).

Thomas, I have some I can send you if you'll PM me.

John,

Good to know and thanks for the info. I guess this explains why I have not been able to find "Scotch Flake Aromatic" on the market. It's hiding in plain sight.

I agree, the Scotch Flake I remember is sweet and not an everyday kind of smoke. I personally liked it just as much as Kendal Flake and a bit more than Ennerdale.