Gift from my wife

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmntd_1

Reaction score
My wife was in the area of an antique shop we frequent while out shopping last week. Remembering I had been looking at this pair of meerschaum pipes last we where there, she stopped in to see if they still had them. They did and she got them. It really was a nice surprise.

pipeset1.jpg

pipeset2.jpg

ps The lighter didn’t come with the pipes, it’s in the picture for perspective.

That's very thoughtful of your wife. :D

I love visiting antique stores and malls. You never now what you might come across that appeals to you. It might not necessarily be a pipe but often you might spot something that might be related and becomes a nice display on your shelf with your pipes and tobacco.

Very nice pair from a well noted carver,,,your wife is an angel,,,I'm wondering what material the stems are made of,,,

Think your wife can talk to mine and give her a few pointers? Nice score!

J_Rock":nw2txrf4 said:
Think your wife can talk to mine and give her a few pointers? Nice score!
And then get her to talk to mine.......Nice brother, great score, enjoy them! Those are special, especially because the Mrs. got them for you!
:cheers:

mark":lk1ulx5j said:
Very nice pair from a well noted carver,,,your wife is an angel,,,I'm wondering what material the stems are made of,,,
I too wonder about the stems, are they amber? I have been looking for an amber stemmed pipe and they look similar except the color of your stems is a little green, but I have seen some colored amber. Just curious.

I believe the stems are amber. They are harder than vulcanite or acrylic and very uncomfortable between the teeth, both have indentations and considerable wear on the pipe side of the button, the color appears more yellow in natural light.

I’m quite sure they did not originally come together as a set, at least not in this case, as it was made to hold a single pipe larger than either of these pipes. The rims of both pipes are charred and the paneled pipe has about an eighth inch of cake. My best guess, these pipes date to the late 19th or early 20th century, but I’m not an expert.