Gifts from Petershanta...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebiz

Reaction score
I apologize for not posting this sooner. But, I have been busy with other things. As some of the brothers say, "life happens!!" ;)

I am sure that many of you are already aware of the tobaccos that were recently gifted to me by Petershantz. Peter informed me that "Smokers' Law #1" says that you must post your thoughts on gifted tobaccos in the "Reviews" section of the forum. But, after reading many of the reviews there, I have come to the conclusion that I presently possess neither the experience or discerning pallet to give a proper review of these tobaccos. Ergo, my post here.

For those who don't know or have forgotten, there were 2 oz. each of these four blends: 4noggins' "Bald Headed Teacher," John Patton's "Storm Front," Peter Stokkebye's "Black Truffle," and McClelland's "M55 Georgian Cream." Wanting to experience the tobacco and not the pipe or previously smoked tobaccos, I went to my local "Smoke Shack" and purchased a filtered, $4.99 MM cobb to try them in.

When I smelled the tobaccos in their zippered bags, my favorites list was in this order: 1) Storm Front, 2) Bald Headed Teacher, 3) Georgian Cream, and 4) Black Truffle. Though they all smelled amazing in their zippered bags, the Storm Front aroma was much stronger than the others. And, it was by far my favorite!

It's amazing to me how "off" one's nose can be if used as the sole influence when choosing a tobacco!! To give you an idea of what I mean, I'll give my thoughts on each tobacco... in the order of my preference after smoking them. You can see for yourself how my favorites list has changed.

First Place: Though they are completely different, for my taste, this spot belongs to two of the tobaccos... Bald Headed Teacher and Georgian Cream!

The BHT is a tobacco that packs easily, burns well and completely in my cobb and in my briar. It very easily stays lit in either of my pipes. The flavor is gentle... but, not too gentle. And, I experienced absolutely no tongue bite from it.

It is a very relaxing smoke for me. And, it is the kind of smoke that would be wonderful to settle down with while doing some reading on the internet or while reading a good book. It would also make an excellent all day smoke!! I definitely want more of it!!

My wife (who likes the smell of a pipe) enjoyed the room note!

The Georgian Cream smells good enough in the zippered bag that I was almost tempted to take a bite! But, since I don't chew, I decided to smoke it instead. I'm glad I did... it's delicious!! It's sweet. But, not horribly sweet. It will make a wonderful "after meal" smoke. And, its level of sweetness makes it where I could smoke it all day long! And, my wife says the room note is W... O... N.. D... E... R... F... U... L...!!! She liked it so well that she took a couple of puffs off my pipe! She said it didn't taste bad. But, she said she'd stick to the smelling it... and, leave the smoking of it to me!!

Second Place: Black Truffle... and, it's very close behind BHT and Georgian Cream!

This tobacco is one that received a "2 star" overall rating from reviewers at tobaccoreviews.com. Most of the complaints that I read were concerning the peach flavor. And, I may have hit upon why. The peach flavor in this tobacco is not that of canned peaches from the grocery store... at all!! And, it is not of the fresh green peaches that are sold at the market as "ripe!" After thinking for a long while about it, I believed I had figured out where I knew this peach flavor from.

When I was a kid, my mother would go to a local peach orchard and pick peaches to can for us. My brother (three years my junior) and I would go with her. A peach orchard made for an excellent playground... complete with snacks... for us young boys!!! I remember picking up peaches that had fallen off the trees and eating them... skin... fuzz... everything but the pit!! Many of these peaches were over ripe... but, not rotten.

The peach flavor in this tobacco very much reminded me of those peaches. After thinking of this, I gave another bowl a try in the Italian CW that I got off Ebay. Sure enough, as I puffed lightly and closed my eyes, I was whisked back to that peach orchard of my childhood... my brother chasing me... me chasing him... and enjoying the taste of an over ripe peach as its juices flowed down my chin!! The memory was so thick that I had to brush it away from my eyes!

This alone was enough to make me want more! Add to it a slightly nutty flavor and I'm hooked!! But, I don't think I'd want to smoke it all day long!

This is another one that my wife says that the room note is quite delicious! But, she says it isn't as delicious as the Georgian Cream!

Third Place: And, far from the pack... Storm Front!

"Say what???" I know that is bound to be what some of you are saying about me saying this about a tobacco that has a "4 star" overall rating on tobaccoreviews.com. But, I can't help it. It's how I feel! I guess that's why some folks like BMW... others like Ford... and, others like Volkswagen!!! Maybe I'm a VW man!!! :lol:

As I said earlier, based purely on aroma from the bag, this was by far my favorite. The aroma from the bag was befitting a good smelling, high end, male cologne!! As such, I could probably wear Storm Front and be quite pleased with it!! But, I don't care much for it as a smoke!

Though my wife said the room note was "nice," I just don't think I could stomach the flavor of it more than once every week or two! For me, it was easy for it to bite my tongue. And, for me... the flavor would have been better named "After the Storm Front." It seemed to leave a taste on my tongue that was the same as I would imagine it would have after it had been drug across the bottom of the ocean along the eastern coastline after a very, very bad storm front had come through and really churned up the waters!!!

I have been one who liked the taste of burleys in cigarettes all of my life. And, after reading that the contents of this tobacco is two types of burley, I was confused. Then, I spotted what might be the explanation for my dislike. The tin description is quoted as saying, "Two cube cut burleys combined with cigar leaf." I have always loved the smell of cigar tobacco. But, I've never liked the taste or aroma of one while smoking it. So, it might well be that the cigar leaf is what shot this one all to heck for me.

I'll finish the 2 oz. gifted Storm Front. But, I'll not be ordering any more of it!

All of these things said, I would like once again to thank Petershantz for the gifted tobaccos! They have helped me get headed in the right direction... maybe a good chocolate!! :D And, they've taught me that when it comes to choosing a tobacco, I shouldn't put too much stock in my nose's input!!

Robert

Robert, as I understand it you have completely satisfied the Law :D

Nothing says you have to write a formal review, just tell other what you think of it.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed 2 of the 3 blends, that is a pretty good ratio. The Bald Headed Teacher is my personal favorite (so far), so I'm personally glad to hear you liked it!

If you don't like the Storm Front, I would just put it up. Find a mason jar big enough to hold it, make sure the jar is clean and put it up. After it has sat a while, or when ever you decide you want to try it again, do. If you don't like it, pass it along in a box pass, or gift it to someone else.

IMHO, there are only two types of tobacco - what you like and what you don't. Life is too short to smoke 'baccy you don't like.

Glad to hear you are having fun with it.

Pete

That was a really delightful review - I enjoyed reading every word of it! Thanks Robert!

Thank you Pete! I'm glad to know that I have satisfied the law! I'd sure hate to end up having the Tobacco Police or the Brothers of Briar Troopers come and haul me off to jail!!!! :shock: :lol!:

If you'll look back up there, you'll see there were 4 blends! And, I loved 3 out of 4! That's 75%... darn good, if you ask me!!

There were only 3 places because of the fact that I gave BHT and Georgian Cream equal sitting at first place. That may have caused a bit of confusion. And, I am sorry if it did. But, I was simply unable to choose which one I liked best. I love one of them just as much as the other. They are just two very different tobaccos!

I have got the Storm Front put away in a jelly Mason jar. Once the CW from Piet and Muddler arrives, I will give it another try in it. I've read that some tobaccos smoke better in some briars than they do in others. Maybe this will be the case with Storm Front. If not, I will do as you suggest and either gift it or put it in a box pass.

petertschantz":1lamceq7 said:
IMHO, there are only two types of tobacco - what you like and what you don't. Life is too short to smoke 'baccy you don't like.Pete
That's the exact same view I have on foods. The bad thing is that I haven't found half a dozen foods I don't like!! :lol:

You bet I'm having fun with all this! Nope... take that back... I'm having a blast!!! I thank you so much for my new "toys" to play with!!! :D

Muddler":1lamceq7 said:
That was a really delightful review - I enjoyed reading every word of it! Thanks Robert!
You are quite welcome, Muddler! I thank you for your kind words; and am glad you enjoyed reading it (said as I bow and take my hat off to you)!!

Man... I'm glad you guys are so easy to please!!! :D

Robert

Robert, the scary part is I knew there were 4...

Guess the care package I got from Johnny rattled my cage a little bit :shock:

Hey Rob, Glad to see you have Pete's baccy and I really like your response, as always, well done there!!
Enjoy and happy smokes, again, well done There Pete! :cheers: :cheers:

No reason to be scared, Pete! Just remember to take your meds this afternoon!!! :lol!:

I understand the rattled cage. After my reaction to your gifts, Pete, my wife is also watching for the CW from Piet and Muddler. She says once it shows up on usps.com, she's going to begin giving me a Valium every two hours until it arrives!!! :lol!:

Piet, it's good to see you back on the boards, my brother!! :D

Robert

beebiz":gzgdyr2d said:
No reason to be scared, Pete! Just remember to take your meds this afternoon!!! :lol!:

I understand the rattled cage. After my reaction to your gifts, Pete, my wife is also watching for the CW from Piet and Muddler. She says once it shows up on usps.com, she's going to begin giving me a Valium every two hours until it arrives!!! :lol!:

Piet, it's good to see you back on the boards, my brother!! :D

Robert
:lol!: :lol!:

Thanks Rob, good to be among close friends in a steange town!!!! :cheers: