Gin, the best bang for the buck?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc Manhattan":d4d4wvpu said:
Far from a discount gin, but have any of you gin fans tried the gin that Rogue brewery is distilling now?

The trend in craft beer makers adding distilled liquor is one I welcome, but I wasn't feeling flush when I was in the package store.
I have, but just once, it was good, but ultimately forgettable. Actually how I feel about most Rogue stuff. I haven't had anything bad from them, but nothing I really ever go back to.

Another similar micro-distill I did find worth rebuying is by Bardenay in Boise, Idaho. All sugar cane based vs. grain. Makes for fairly unique flavor profiles. It's not sweet or anything, but there are notes of that sugar around the edges.

There is a headache in the bottom of every bottle of gin...Therefore I drink rum. :cheers:

cigarsarge":jwtydw30 said:
There is a headache in the bottom of every bottle of gin...Therefore I drink rum. :cheers:
Rum? In which case, your head simply falls OFF after drinking a bottle, but you're too numb to notice it in time to pick it up and reattach it, so it rolls into the street to be run over by an oncoming lorry. No. Rum is far too dangerous for me. Very, very dangerous.

I was once enjoying cocktails at a tavern with a friend, who ordered us some sort of rum concoction. I enjoyed it. He ordered us a second round. I enjoyed it, as well. Then, I had to get up to go to the loo. As my legs gave way underneath me, I decided, just before hitting the floor, that rum probably wasn't by drink.

Damned tasty, though.

Hmmm... gonna have to try that Citadell next time I need to replenish the gin stash (I've got 3 open bottles now, so perhaps not too soon).

-Andrew

glpease":qxuk6dx3 said:
puros_bran":qxuk6dx3 said:
I can dig it...

I'm not really against Bluetinis, Rastinis, and all that stuff...
I've had a couple Bluetinis thaat were good. But they aren't Martinis.
As long as we all know what we are talking about,the terminology doesn't bother me. BUT assuming we all know what we are talking about creates alot of problems... I ordered a Martini last year, the kid said "What Kind?" ( I shoulda known.. I asked for it, it was MY FAULT), I said "A regular old Martini" I got 3oz of straight Vodka.. :evil:
I was in Richmond, at a show one year, and tried to get a martini at the local steak house. It was actually really funny. The waitress was adorable, and the dangerously short skirt she sported did more than a little to enhance her charm. I didn't mind her coming back repeatedly in an attempt to get my drink right...

I ordered a Bombay martini. Off she went. A few minutes later...

"The bartender wants to know how to make a Bombay martini."

I explained it was just a martini made with Bombay gin.

"Okay!" Off she went. A few minutes later...

"We don't have Bombay gin. Just Tanqueray."

Okay. That's fine. Off she went. A few minutes later...

A rocks glass, with rocks, is presented, containing what I presumed was gin and vermouth, with an olive on top.

"Can I have this strained into a cocktail glass, please?"

"Okay!" Off she went. A few minutes later...

The same rocks glass, sans ice, now bearing a now innocuous, hopelessly watered down, but strained version of whatever had come the first time. "Thanks, love."

I decided to order a beer.
At a rather nice hotel at a conference in Oklahoma City last year, my friend told the waitress that the dirty martini she ordered appeared (and tasted) to be a "straight" martini. She (the waitress) looked a bit confused as to what a dirty martini was, and she (my friend) explained the addition of a few extra drops of olive juice. She (the waitress) came back to our table with the olive jar, held her hand over the top and tipping the jar over her (my friend 's) martini, strained out a good ounce plus of juice through her fingers, and walked away.

After we gained what composure we had left, all we could think of is where that hand might have been in the last half hour. For some odd reason the waitress didn't see either the error of her concept of "sanitation" or the humor we all saw in it.

Natch

There's just no pleasing some people,,,,given that she took the order literally, you could have ordered a "sex on the beach" with surprising results,,,,

When gin hit London in the late 1700's, it was the equivalent of crack cocaine. Which is why the British spent so much time perfecting it. A Beefeater martini (with Martini & Rossi vermouth) is a gold standard, in my opinion, poured over ice, strained into a chilled glass, with an olive or lemon twist, if done correctly (alas, most bartenders have lost the ability to peel a lemon correctly, harvesting zest and avoiding pith) . In the summer, a Tanqueray and tonic in a tall glass with a slice of lime. The quinine in an anti-malarial, which I have successfully avoided due to diligent prophylaxis. A good accompanying bowl is a straight Virginia; I prefer to drink Scotch with a tobacco containing latakia. Life is good, in general, if these are our worst dilemmas.

"Beware of the white liquor," my whiskey drinking uncle told me his whiskey drinking father used to warn. Hell, I used to just slam back McCormick gin when I was broke, tasted like hair spray and felt even worse after a while. My uncle and I are both bourbon lovers who've learned.

Maybe off topic, but even the better white liquors have at times done me wrong, gotta agree with the old-timers and stick to the taste I love, the poison I trust.