GL Pease Blackpoint

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlong

Reaction score
I bought a tin of this a couple months ago. After a couple bowls, it didn't seem to do much for me and it has sat in my misfit tin pile since. Maybe it's because I cracked the tin and it sat for some time but this morning I stoked up a bowl and was pleasantly surprised. I suck at describing tobaccos and don't know what I'm experincing half the time but here goes. Blackpoint loads and lights easily straight out of the tin and stays lit like drug store baccy. It comes off clearly Balkan during the first part of the bowl. It compares to Star of the East in that respect. About mid bowl, it becomes spicy and a mild dose of vitamin N kicks in. Very comparable to Nightcap. At the bottom of the bowl, the flavors become lip smacking sweet. It put me in a trance of sorts savoring on sweet and pleasant after tastes. It wasn't long before I began craving another bowl. Very nice tobacco.

*shrug*

I think you did a great job describing it. Now I want to get a tin. :lol:

8)

I too think you described it just fine. That was pretty much my experience with it. Wonderful stuff. Especially if you can get an aged tin. Yum!

I've been on a bit of a burley and/or cigar leaf kick lately(got a cob-full of Con-Yan right now in fact) but Pease has me by the short and curleys at this time...thanks for another one to consider!

All I have to say about Blackpoint is two words, AGE IT!!! I have a jar from 2003 that I dip into from time to time and it smokes wonderfully. The perique used is high quality and it really melds nicely with the Latakia after nine years of "swapping spit" in the jar. Over time, I find the blend does mellow out a little bit, but it is still a nice medium bodied smoke after 9 years, certainly not mild in any way, shape, or form. I have always loved the description on the tin, especially the part that says, "Reminiscent of raisins and stewed figs, fireplaces in the fall, walks in the forest." With all the tins out there that have advertisement ploy style descriptions merely worded poetically to sell tins and make money, I would have to say that this description fits Blackpoint better than any other description I have ever seen on any tin. It really is a "Fall" blend IMO and I myself have walked trails in the forest smoking Blackpoint in the Fall. It is really a transcendent experience and one of only a handful that I have to that degree since I have started smoking a pipe.

-Scott

It's nice to see Blackpoint get some love. ;)

Here's the back story on the blend, and the influence behind it, for anyone who might be interested. When I was first putting the Classic Collection together, I'd done four of the seven, and was thinking about what I'd add. I was visiting a friend who opened a very old, ring-top tin of Balkan Sobranie 759. This was the real thing, not the impostor that masqueraded as 759 in the later Gallaher years. He handed me the tin, and I couldn't stop smelling it. I KNEW the blend had no perique in it, but the time in the tin had caused some of that perique-ish funk to appear. It was lovely. We smoked a couple bowls, and I went home to contemplate new blends.

I created Blackpoint to give me the same sort of impression I got from that brilliant old tin. Obviously, I wasn't trying to duplicate it. It's impossible, as I've written many times before, to replicate an aged tobacco, but I wanted a close-ish interpretation of that experience, and after a lot of messing about, Blackpoint resulted.

All these years later, I'm really happy to say that it still reminds me of that one, special old tin, and every time I open a Blackpoint, I smile. It's not the same, of course, but it's reminiscent enough to trigger the right memories for me.

-glp

Mr. Pease, I'm not sure your walk qualifies as "silly", perhaps mildly amusing.. :p

Thanks for the back story..it's cool to know what inspiration you had when creating!

An old, random post I dug up by PB (I think) some time ago made me put Blackpoint on the list. For those not willing to wait 10 years to put some age on a tin, is it really any less a tobacco with only a year or two on it? How about fresh?

Just wondering. Like old books, I sure have a lot of tobacco that, next to the date, I've put notes on like "2 years" or "4 years" :lol: Gonna have tons of tobacco and nothing to smoke soon. :p

Kyle Weiss":aivd8n45 said:
An old, random post I dug up by PB (I think) some time ago made me put Blackpoint on the list. For those not willing to wait 10 years to put some age on a tin, is it really any less a tobacco with only a year or two on it? How about fresh?

Just wondering. Like old books, I sure have a lot of tobacco that, next to the date, I've put notes on like "2 years" or "4 years" :lol: Gonna have tons of tobacco and nothing to smoke soon. :p
It's not just good fresh, it's GREAT fresh. My experience with tobaccos are as follows:

a.) 99% of the blends I enjoy aged, I enjoy fresh as well. A horrible tobacco will generally not transform into a stellar tobacco ten years down the line. However, take a blend like SG Full Virginia Flake. It is decent fresh, but just a little bit rough around the edges. I find that aging it for merely 2 years, takes the roughness out and it develops into a world class smoke, but it was damn good to begin with.

b.) Buying tobacco off pipestud.com or ebay that have already been aged is a great way to beat the impatience involved with aging by yourself, but my best experiences with tobaccos have come with the ones that I jarred up and aged when they were fresh. I can use Pipeworks&Wilke #10 as a prime example. When I first started smoking a pipe, this was one of the first English blends that I fell in love with. After smoking a good bit of the "fresh stuff", I decided to jar up a pound of it to age. Following Greg Pease's advice on an old alt.pipes FAQ on aging tobacco, I used small, 1/2 pint mason jars so that I could sample small amounts every six months or so and jot down notes. I am approaching the three year mark on the first jars I ever sealed up back in 2009 and let me say that this is the most fun I have ever had with smoking pipe tobacco. It has been such a great learning experience seeing first hand just how wonderful this stuff ages. I don't think any of the 6 month tasting cycles I have done with #10 during the last three years have yielded a result that compared precisely with the previous tasting. This stuff ages magically and once again, Greg mentioned in an old FAQ that orientals age more rapidly in a 12-24 month cycle than any other tobacco. With this "taste it every 6 month" experiment that I have been doing, I have been able to see first hand how true this statement is.

c.) Aging tobaccos have taught me a lot about how pipe tobacco not only "ages" from a biological standpoint, but also how well tobacco meld and integrate together during a year's time, something totally exclusive from the aging. Blackpoint is a great example. The Perique and Latakia used in Blackpoint are both quite present in a fresh tin or even one that is a couple years old. However, at the ten year mark that my current jar is approaching, it is difficult to discern the separate parts of the blend. They have all integrated themselves together into one cohesive unit and this is something that I have come to appreciate almost as much as the actual aging process.

Hope this is useful info to you and others. I have done a lot of experimenting with aging tobaccos during the last 3 years and of course I still buy pre-aged tins off the Internet, but IMO nothing is more worthwhile and just plain fun than doing your own experimentation with aging tobacco. It takes a little patience, but hell they say patience is virtue, right?

-Scott

Had my fourth bowl this evening. If you like Nightcap, I'm sure you'll like this.