GL Pease Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCordray

Reaction score
Yet another "what's your favorite blend" topic... but specifically I wondered if anyone has favorite GL Pease blends? Does anyone out there feel that his blends are over-rated? In an effort to make a question like this somewhat fair, maybe pick a favorite for each category 1) English or Balkan style, 2) Virginia based or VaPer, and 3) Miscellaneous (ie. something that doesn't necessarily fit the other categories, or you can include another English/balkan, a Va or VaPer blend).

My experience with Pease blends is kind of limited, having tried Haddo's Delight, Barbary Coast, and Six Pence. I have enjoyed the blends that I've tried so far. I'm looking over reviews on tobaccoreviews.com, as I always do, and have been trying to collect some "must try blends", along with some "must cellar" blends. It takes me some time to work through a tin though, so I am hesitant to have open tins of 20+ tobaccos at one time.

Thanks for anyone's input!

Adam

I really enjoy Quiet Nights and Chelsea Morning. I really need to stock up on them while I still can.

I love Chelsea Morning, Sextant and Montgomery. I find Montgomery is not very known; but it's one of the most balanced and delicious blends I have smoked.

Renaissance. But Maltese Falcon and Chelsea Morning are right up there. The more I think about it, the harder it gets to be sure. Maybe Sextant. No, no, Navigator. Or Sextant.

Hmmm...

Full English - Odyssey
Medium English - Samarra
Oriental - Meridian, Ashbury
Virginia - Union Square
Vaper - Telegraph Hill
American - Triple Play
Anomaly Blends - Haddo's, Fillmore

I am also really digging Regent's Flake, very dry and spicy. Makes for a good winter night smoke.

I have a few GLP's I really enjoy: Sextent, Sixpence, Cumberland, JackKnife Plug and Telegraph Hill. I totally agree that Haddo's Delight needs a few years of aging. I recently opened a fairly fresh tin and was not so delighted. But I do find some of GLP blends to be a bit goopy and over topped at times. Then I do air dry in a tobacco tray accordingly.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Hm...........

Well, I did get a sample of Montgomery from Old Nate that was dated 2012, and I do enjoy it. All the other Pease stuff was really 'fresh', and I just couldn't get into them. Had I deeper pockets, I might invest in some variations and wait a few years to see if they ring any bells for me. Alas, with the new regulations, I fear that time will not come.

But hey, tastes are relative, and mine are pretty limited. I don't know enough about blending to be able to see the futures of many of the offerings out there. So my suggestion is the Monty. Good stuff!

Different smokers seem to have different blenders that they like more than others. For me it is Pease. 2 out of the bowls I smoke are his blends.

My faves

Union Square
Cumberland
Embarcadero
Haddo
Key Largo
Montgomery

Lombard is a good blend that is light on Lat.

I'm not a lat guy but I do enjoy Maltese Falcon when I get that itch.

Telegraph Hill is number one with a bullet. I can't say enough about the stuff - my favorite GLP, very probably my favorite blend regardless of brand, and as close as I can get to a "desert island tobacco."

Truthfully, I like pretty much every GLP I've ever had...but if I were to put together a short list of my favorites, they would be:

Telegraph Hill
Haddo's
Embarcadero
Fillmore
Blackpoint
Montgomery

I second idbowman. Telegraph Hill is fabulous! Others I really enjoy are Sixpence, Quiet Nights and Blackpoint. Blackpoint is sublime after 3 years of aging.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback, certainly gives me some direction as I prepare to purchase a few more tins.

Adam

SkagitSmoke":itqph4lz said:
Others I really enjoy...and Blackpoint. Blackpoint is sublime after 3 years of aging.
Yes! Blackpoint never gets enough buzz as I think it should - I'm glad to see you mention it. To me, it does all of things that Nightcap does, but better.

I'll throw in my two cents.
Full English: Quiet nights is excellent. It's one of those English ones that gives me everything I'm looking for in a tobacco smoky, sweet, Rich, and tangy... I just can't say enough about it.

VaPer: I love Telegraph Hill as well and if I'm looking for something a little deeper I go to Fillmore. Aged it is sweet, spicy, and decadent.

Medium English: There are so many but I'll add Maltese Falcon! It's deep but also very nuanced and something I can smoke all day!

GLP blends are excellent and I would also suggest whatever you get buy at least two tins so you can age one. Good stuff!

003-029-0029.jpg

003-067-0002.jpg

Old Nate":12mo3n65 said:
VaPer: I love Telegraph Hill as well and if I'm looking for something a little deeper I go to Fillmore. Aged it is sweet, spicy, and decadent.
Perfectly said.

As to full English, I'm not sure I think of Quiet Nights as all that full...lots of VA sweetness behind the smoky stuff. Unless I'm thinking of a different blend (which is entirely possible)! It's been a while since I really smoked super-heavy Latakia blends, but my brother (a latakia-phile) tells me that Charing Cross is very good and falls into the "lat bomb" category.

Charing Cross is a traditional Balkan style blend With Cyprian Latakia and different Virginia's. It's a wonderful blend with at least 3 years of aging. I personally find sometimes when you age blends that are heavy Latakia blends, the Latakia can lose some flavors. Charing Cross has great quality Latakia but I would not consider it a Lat bomb. It's OUTSTANDING and a must try :cheers: :cheers:

PS
I would not consider Quiet Night's a full English blend myself. But it's good for sure.
What I would consider in the Lat bomb blends: C&D Star of the East Flake is a pretty strong latakia bomb and Pirate Kake.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Hmm, I agree, Quiet Nights is def not a lat bomb but I do believe it is full flavored. And it's funny, I would say Star of the East has just as many nuances as Quiet Nights and def not a lay powerhouse... all taste buds are different and I think that's what makes all this fun.

Old ( young ) Nate
Your so correct, everyone's taste buds are different and subjective to many different tobacco blends.
Nate....you need to try both of these fabulous blends:
H&H WhiteKnight & BlackHouse. Only $9.99 at Smokingpipes. Oh, you will be ordering more :lol!: :lol!:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!