GL Pease Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
idbowman, have your brother try, if he did not already:
Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake. Well rubbed out and let rest in a tray for about 30 minutes before stuffing your pipe.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Odyssey is somewhat of what I would categorize as a Lat-bomb. However, like all of Greg's blends it develops so many intricate flavors down the bowl that it ultimately ends up being way more than just that. Keeping it lit can be a chore and even he recommends tamping lightly.

Pirate Kake. Now that's a "Lat-Bomb."

I haven't had them all (yet) but my favorite GLP blend is Charing Cross. I love the Latakia, and it is quite prominent, but it's got a heavy balance of really nice orientals, as well. It is the quintessential Balkan for me. I think it's what other Balkans aspire to be.

I like CC so much that I restrict myself to only smoking it like 2-4 times a month in my rotation. That way, I miss it a little bit and forget how good it is. Then I can really sit and rediscover it. Very complex and contemplative smoke for me. I like it in a savinelli 316ks, with a wider bowl.

Some other GLP's I truly love:

Odyssey - unreal if you love even more Latakia. I smoke it slow and take a few breaks...it develops.

Quiet Nights - also very complex, changes a lot through the bowl, and is the most "fine wine" -like tobacco blend I can think of. (And not just because it has a wine-like Virginia note for me).

Lagonda - also a full English, borderline lat-bomb, but balanced out with sweeter Virginias.

GLP for me is special stuff. I know I can always look forward to hunting down one of his blends, since there are so many good ones. However, several really
good GLP blends are facing the chopping block, so I might have to get hasty and stock up on a few.

wake_n_flake":merrhgt4 said:
GLP for me is special stuff.  I know I can always look forward to hunting down one of his blends, since there are so many good ones.  However, several really
good GLP blends are facing the chopping block, so I might have to get hasty and stock up on a few.

I'm similar...sort of. I do have a quite a bit of GLP on hand, but I still like to space them out just so that they're that much more enjoyable. I don't spread out from bowl-to-bowl though. If I open a tin, it goes into the rotation and I smoke it regularly until it's empty - but then I purposely torture myself and wait a while before cracking another tin open.

Anyone ever try the long-discontinued Mephisto? Holy cow that was a weird one. A heavy Syrian lat bomb English with a rum topping. Yeah.

I still have flashbacks about the taste of that one and it was probably 17 years ago that I had a tin.

wake_n_flake":by4l98cn said:
Anyone ever try the long-discontinued Mephisto?  Holy cow that was a weird one.  A heavy Syrian lat bomb English with a rum topping. Yeah.

I still have flashbacks about the taste of that one and it was probably 17 years ago that I had a tin.  
I had one bowl a few years ago (someone at a pipe show was cracking his last tin and graciously passed it around the table for all to try).  So weird, but so good!