GL Pease Chelsea Morning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertschantz

Reaction score
I tried my first bowl of this last evening, and was expecting a great deal given the reviews I have read.

I was not wow'ed by bowl #1. It was not a bad blend, just not my cup of tea initially.

I'm going to let it air out a bit, having read several people say that drying somewhat made a big difference for me. I found it to be a little too bright and sharp (for lack of better terms) for me right out of a freshly opened tin. I'll give it some time to dry a bit, then try again. Have any of you experienced the same sort of reaction to this blend?

It is obviously a quality blend, nice think smoke and a good burn. Flavors just didn't do it for me as of yet.

I have enjoyed the couple of VaPers I have tried, but I do find myself gravitating to the burley blends (approaching codgerdom perhaps?). Not sure if my tastes are simply running in another direction or what.

I was also initially underwhelmed by Chelsea Morning, particularly given the hype around it. Then, I found myself reaching for the tin more & more. I've ended up buying 8oz of the stuff. It really grew on me.

I find this blend to be outstanding,great flavor and not a bad room note.

i also had my first try at chelsea this week. big fan of westminster, and when i'm feeling rowdy--union square. i fell in love with chelsea first bowl. to my taste, it offered the best of what i love about the other two. have been smoking it exclusively since. thanks greg!

(i am having a little trouble keeping it lit. i think mine needs to dry out a bit.)

Have 5 tins in cellar and counting.
The lat almost opens the door for the sweet VA to come through!!!!!
Love the combination of that. I really dig the stuff!

Tin time + jar time = rhapture.

Especially with GLP Englishes. They're built for it.

:face:

Yak":vtvzcyw2 said:
Tin time + jar time = rhapture.

Especially with GLP Englishes. They're built for it.

:face:
Agreed Yak, that's why mine are still sealed in the tin! :cheers:

To each his own, to be honest. Everyones taste is different. Chelsea Morning is a rather bold variant on typical morning blends, with a bit of spice to make it interesting, but still very mild. In my opinion, G.L. Pease succeeded quite well, but the blend did have to grow on me. After a few bowls it has become a favorite, though.

To clarify: I'm not writing the blend off. I'm definitely going to revisit after a little drying time, and will probably take my time with the tin, so I can get a sense of what time will do for it.

thanks for all the feedback guys!

petertschantz":9o65qpi6 said:
To clarify: I'm not writing the blend off. I'm definitely going to revisit after a little drying time, and will probably take my time with the tin, so I can get a sense of what time will do for it.

thanks for all the feedback guys!
What Muddler said!

There is another thread a page or two back with many comments. Short story, in my opinion, it's one of the finest blends Greg has done. Right up there with Renaissance, Bohemian Scandal, and Maltese Falcon.

Honestly CM struck me as brilliant from the first bowl and continues to be a great smoke for me. What I'd like to see, though, is how it will age...

OK, I'm going to revise. After trying a bowl of Chelsea Morning as the first pipe of the day (twice), I understand the allure of this blend. Having something else (pipe wise) before smoking CM washes it out for me at least. Having it first was like smoking a completely different blend. Absolutely amazing.

I'll definitely be keeping this one around for mornings when I get to enjoy a pipe and a cup of coffee on the patio.

Test driving Pease's Cumberland now....