Glen Cook.... The Black Company

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistleoak

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever read anything by Glen Cook like any of the Black Company or Garrett PI.

I absofreakinglutly loved everything in the black company series... The characters are great and the story line is steady. I have reread them so many times... if anyone has read them do you have any suggestions to me about any other reads that are in the same class?

Black Company was sweet! I only read the first three, though.
Are you looking for something similar in tone or content?

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I just ordered the compendium of the first three Black Company books, "The Chronicles of...." from Amazon. Local libraries didn't have any of Cook's books. I didn't read about the subject but the series gets good reviews. I figure I can always donate it to the library when I done.

Have you read any of Neal Stephenson's books? Check out Cryptonomicon. Great, great book. That's one I bought and kept.

I discovered him after Steven Ericksan said he was a big influence on his work (Malazan book of the fallen, average about 1200 pages a book) very good stuff. Check out Brent Weeks and Joe Abercrombie (esp if you like Cook) stuff as well.

Paul 2.0":249kozlu said:
I discovered him after Steven Ericksan said he was a big influence on his work (Malazan book of the fallen, average about 1200 pages a book) very good stuff. Check out Brent Weeks and Joe Abercrombie (esp if you like Cook) stuff as well.
I've read Abercrombies "The Sword itself".... Pretty gritty... I enjoyed it alot.

Thistleoak":xkwpw3s6 said:
Paul 2.0":xkwpw3s6 said:
I've read Abercrombies "The Sword itself".... Pretty gritty... I enjoyed it alot.
Get busy man ! He has a new one Nov 13th

FWIW, I'm only about 144 pages in but I'm liking The Black Company. I bought the Chonicles of.. which is the first 3 books together. So far, so good! :)

Thistleoak":dk6wq8b2 said:
Has anyone here ever read anything by Glen Cook like any of the Black Company or Garrett PI.
I really enjoyed the Black Company books.

These are not by Glen Cook, but I think they are excellent. They all deal with the "military fellowship" theme. If you liked Black Company, I'd recommend all of these to you.

Forever War, Joe Haldeman (classic)
Old Man's War, John Scalzi (I want a Brain Buddy)
Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae, Steven Pressfield

First two are Sci Fi, the last is (obviously) historical fiction.

Having read this thread, identical to Tony I've just started Glen Cooke's Chronicles of The Black Company (3 books).

Thanks for the tip guys.

BTW I've read all of Joe Abercrombie's books with exception of the recently released one - thoroughly enjoyed all of them and have no hesitation in adding my recommendation to that of Thistleoak's and Paul's. The Blade Itself is the start point and worth the read just for Inquisitor Glokta alone! :twisted:

Fraternally

Jers

Paul 2.0":tjg4caqb said:
Wow, I dug the whole Night Angel series and his Black Prism book (lightbringer?). I've seen the Black Company books at the local half price books and now more inclined to pick em up. A couple of my favorites are David Gemmel's Troy series, Terra Incognita - Kevin Anderson and Peter Brett's Warded Man and Desert Spear.

I hope we keep this thread running as I'm aways looking for a great read in this genre.

WaydeG":629kyil7 said:
Paul 2.0":629kyil7 said:
Wow, I dug the whole Night Angel series and his Black Prism book (lightbringer?). I've seen the Black Company books at the local half price books and now more inclined to pick em up. A couple of my favorites are David Gemmel's Troy series, Terra Incognita - Kevin Anderson and Peter Brett's Warded Man and Desert Spear.

I hope we keep this thread running as I'm aways looking for a great read in this genre.
Been eyeing the Ward series. May get into them next. Havent read the 2nd to the lightbringer yet either. Am currently on Abercrombies Red Country, a bit different than his first few more like a western for some reason, at least to me.

Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards (the lies of Lock Lamora and Red Sails under Red Skies) are both very, very good.

After years of meaning to give them a look, I read the first Black Company book over the summer and found a lot to like about it--curious to finish the initial trilogy, at least, but other things kept getting in the way. Those omnisbus editions Night Shade put out are fricking gorgeous, too!

Definitely second (or third? fourth!) the Abercrombie--he's great. I also really like Michael Shea's older stuff, especially one called In Yana, the Touch of Undying. Very surreal, darkly comedic fantasy that isn't like anything else, except maybe Jack Vance's Dying Earth books, or some Clark Ashton Smith classics...

I can also lend my recommendation to Abercrombie, his characters are great, his storytelling is great, and there is a lot of well written humour. Anyone remember the

'Ugh'
'Urr'
'Ugh'
'Urr'
'Ugh'

scene? That one had me killing myself laughing.

Blood Song by Anthony Ryan is in much the same genre and I've no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who enjoys Glen Cooke or Joe Abercrombie.

Fraternally

Jers