GLP Cumberland...Another blend that I must keep in stock

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ireland

Reaction score
Good afternoon, BoB!

There are so many great blends out there. So many FANTASTIC blends. And, lucky for us, only a few awful ones...

Cumberland is fantastic. Along with Embarcadero (another fantastic blend that I felt the need to "review") I would consider it to be a blend that a wide range of tastes could appreciate and possibly adore. A classic tobacco. Both simple when all you need is the company, and complex and rewarding when you have the time to sit alone and reflect on the days and years past.

Cumberland comforts me. It packs and lights easily and stays lit. Even when it does go out because I've set the pipe down or simply become so lost in the rapture that I forget to draw... It never turns one away at the relight. It welcomes them back with a burst of spice and a little slap to remind one that this is a bold smoke! Then it quickly calms down and you're right back to the rapture previously mentioned. I cannot comment on how well it DGT's because if there's a bowl packed, then I'm smoking it until it is done

Greg's tin descriptions seem to be rather accurate... "Robust and possessing a subdued sweetness" is the first sentence on the back of the Cumberland tins and, to me, it sums up the blend very well. It is a medium-strong smoke that leaves me feeling quite satisfied after a bowl. It is not a powerhouse N blend though which is perfect because sometimes, no matter how satisfied, I want to fill the bowl back up and have another! And I do. This is an all-day-smoke for me.

A little background info: I have smoked several fresh tins (less than a year of age) of Cumberland since I first tried it about 2 years ago. Recently, Mike (alfredo_buscatti) sent me some 2004 Cumberland and it is crazy good. The 2004 vintage is the one I'm reviewing and is the one I have been smoking a lot this past week.

Cumberland is sweet but only slightly so. What gives it the edge is the interplay between the Dark KY and the perique. The sample I'm smoking that is 8-years-old is spicy. Very spicy. But just like a good meal it's not too spicy as to cover up less dominant flavors. I'm not sure I could (or would want to) pick out just one dominant tobacco or flavor in this blend. It is definitely a BLEND lol It's almost a three course meal WITH a wine pairing... the main course is prime rib, rare, with no horseradish or anything (a good prime rib requires no help) with a fine and fruity Pinot Noir to wash down each bite. And like a good 3 course meal, all I care about is the meat and the wine lol

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy this stuff and there are Brothers here that would enjoy it as well if they haven't already tried it. Cheers! :cheers:

Glad to see you got some of the 2004 stock. That year seems to be the best! To me Cumberland is the best pipe tobacco ever made, but unfortunately it is too strong for me.

Jim

unfortunately it is too strong for me.
How big (inside diameter & depth) is the bowl of the pipe you smoked it in ?

PeeDee loves him some Lakeland ropes -- smokes 'em in little group two-sized billiards, last I heard.

Adjust the dosage to the patient's constitution :lol:

:face:

Ol'Dawg":esg9etkl said:
Glad to see you got some of the 2004 stock. That year seems to be the best! To me Cumberland is the best pipe tobacco ever made, but unfortunately it is too strong for me.

Jim
2004 was a very good year for CUMBALAND (is that better, E? LoL) appearatly. Luckily I have a nice stash thanks to Mike!

And Jim I bet you could guess my favorite Cumbaland pipe in which to smoke Cumbaland ;) it's still seeing lots of action and I'm treating it as good as it treats me.

Yak":4gpursi1 said:
unfortunately it is too strong for me.
How big (inside diameter & depth) is the bowl of the pipe you smoked it in ?

PeeDee loves him some Lakeland ropes -- smokes 'em in little group two-sized billiards, last I heard.

Adjust the dosage to the patient's constitution :lol:

My Dunhill Cumberland group 3 pot (3206) saw about 3 lbs. go thru it (among other pipes) before it began to affect me. I tried it in other size pipes but still got the hiccups and spins so I sold the pipe and tobacco. :cry:

Jim

Sorry that happened if you liked it, OD. Sometimes it just does. Body chemistry is weird stuff. And it changes.

I have smoked Cumberland for several years and really like the stuff. Realized I was running low lately and got some new. It just isn't the same. G. Pease states they ran out of the old Kentucky, and are using another source. I put a pound away to age, and hope it helps it.