GLP Maltese Falcon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapnismologist

Reaction score
I promised someone that I would update my review of Maltese Falcon on TR, and thought I would re-post it here as well.

Happy smoking gents!

Maltese Falcon

A predominantly dark mixture of black broken ribbon mixed with cuts of mahogany, light brown, and tan. The tin nose is rounded and earthy with a sweet and slightly smoky aroma. Neither overly moist nor dry in the tin, the mixture packs and takes to the match with ease.

Marked by a dark sweetness, in the bowl it offers creamy notes of coffee and caramel underscored by the slight sourness of Orientals and the pine-like smokiness of Cyprian Latakia. Possessing little in the way of high notes, the individual components of the mixture are well balanced, working together in such a way so as to avoid the heavy, cloying character often associated with Latakia-heavy preparations such as this. The smoke is medium to heavy bodied with a smooth, silky richness that lingers on a long finish. Tongue bite is never an issue.

Although the reviewer’s first experience with the mixture was, it seems, with one of the tainted ‘February batches’ in which sweetened Cavendish was mistakenly substituted for unsweetened, the tin on which this particular review is based came straight from C&D with the assurance that it was the real deal (dated 4/12/09). An enjoyable change of pace from the everyday English/Balkan style smoking mixture, Maltese Falcon smokes like it looks, tastes like it smells, and delivers what it promises.

Kap, if you wouldn't mind, tell us a bit more about the afforementioned "Feb. batches"... is there a range of questionable tinning dates?

I noticed a strange taste, almost an aftertaste on my first two tins of MF, which I ordered as soon as it came out ... I ordered from www.smokingpipes.com . It was very difficult to identify, like a slight irritating spice on the tongue. Might this have been from the mistaken cavendish you discovered ??? If so, I would readily go back to MF, as its predecessor, Raven's Wing, was my favorite year-round smoke.

Many thanks,

Secondhandwolf (aka Mark)

Doc Manhattan":o2z4o45g said:
Kap, if you wouldn't mind, tell us a bit more about the afforementioned "Feb. batches"... is there a range of questionable tinning dates?
Sure. I only became aware of this after it was communicated to me by someone who would know better than anyone else. Later, I came across a thread on SF in which C. Tarler posted the date ranges for the problem tins. Here is a copy of his post:

April 16, 2009, 02:56 PM
Craig Tarler

Here's what we have been able to determine. Four batches made in February, 02/11, 02/19, 02/25 and 02/27, are suspect. Sweetened cavendish was mistakenly substituted for unsweetened.

If you have any of the product and wish to return it, please send it to C&D, Box 475, Morganton, NC, 28680. We will replace it

We beg your indulgence and genuinely regret the inconvenience and hope you understand.

Thank you all for your unending support,

Craig

Here is the URL to the whole thread on SF:

http://www.smokersforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=65606

My original tin, also ordered from smokingpipes, did not bear a date sticker (strange, but I have seen this before with some other C&D-produced tins earlier this year), but in private conversation with the aforementioned 'one in the know' determined that it must have been from one of those batches. The mixture I found in the replacement tins - which were sent to me straight away along with a present from C&D - are very different than the first.

That is all I know. Perhaps someone will add to this.

Hope that helps!

Secondhandwolf":79uzj0c4 said:
I noticed a strange taste, almost an aftertaste on my first two tins of MF, which I ordered as soon as it came out ... I ordered from www.smokingpipes.com . It was very difficult to identify, like a slight irritating spice on the tongue. Might this have been from the mistaken cavendish you discovered ??? If so, I would readily go back to MF, as its predecessor, Raven's Wing, was my favorite year-round smoke.

Many thanks,

Secondhandwolf (aka Mark)
The above mentioned thread on SF might be of interest to you in this case: http://www.smokersforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=65606

If it so happens you have any of the 'suspect' tins still cellared or whatnot, I would bet that the would replaced for you right away. Just contact C&D.

Thanks, Kap--exactly the info I needed.

Fortunately in my case, my order shipped on Feb. 9, so (barring a Lost-esque time anomaly) my tobacco would predate the error.

Kapnismologist":928v4g90 said:
[...] Four batches made in February, 02/11, 02/19, 02/25 and 02/27, are suspect. Sweetened cavendish was mistakenly substituted for unsweetened.
Well, that's a bit of a relief for me: the MF tin I received a few days ago has a little yellow sticker at the bottom indicating 012709. I guess if it's date January 27, 2009 then it's in the clear. And with four and a half months of in the tin ageing, to boot.

Hi,

Ummmmm............O.K., I know I'm a neophyte, but I just ordered a few various tins from Smokingpipes.com. One of which was a tin of Maltese Falcon. Another was a tin of Dunhill's Nightcap. I don't know if it's because of the Latakia, but is it just me, or does anyone else find these two blends to be quite similar? Now, I definitely noticed a substantially greater amount of Perique in the Nightcap, but outside of that, MF, and NC kinda tasted pretty darn similar to me.

Then again, what the hell do I know?

:|

-Laurence

I would think that the mis-blended tins might eventually become very desirable. Like the upside-down biplane on the old postage stamps... :?: