GLP- Quiet Nights

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*camoham

Reaction score
did see much on comment about this one.

have a small tin on the way. thought id like to see what all the fuss about Va/latakia/perique combinations are about.

figure im in for a ride with this one. i assume it will be in a rougher flake form?

any comments or experiences with this one will be greatly appreciated.

first one of this type ive gotten.

thanks

camoham

Yes, it is a rough, broken flake that is somewhat torn up. It is warm and smooth. Unlike Westminster, it doesn't have that nice, but pungent Latakia body. The roles of the Latakia and Perique are moderate in a way that is reminiscent of the subtlety of Chelsea Morning. Compared to CM, however, this blend is much fuller and sweeter, without becoming overly sugary. I'd say smoke it slowly and you'll get an awesome experience from this full, but restrained blend.

I love the slight tickle from the Perique and that rich taste that never becomes overwhelming. Congratulations on buying a very fine blend!

This is a blend I have in the baccy closet but haven't tried yet. It sounds pretty interesting and I'll get around to it eventually. I tend to try new blends after they've had a little age on them

Johnny":0fm9aes4 said:
This is a blend I have in the baccy closet but haven't tried yet. It sounds pretty interesting and I'll get around to it eventually. I tend to try new blends after they've had a little age on them
I try anything I can get my hands on and age extra tins of what I enjoy. If I'm particularly excited about a blend I order tins for the cellar before even trying it. Aging is really not a requirement for enjoyment and I think it is more interesting if you can compare the aged experience with a relatively fresh tin anyway.

FMW, I wasn't saying that I prefer to age the tobacco before I try it. That's just a tendancy of mine. I buy a bunch of new blends then forget about them. It's a bad habit, I know.

I thought it was intentional. In that case I do recognize myself in what you're saying, because the same goes for me. I try a lot of different blends and you can't really smoke everything at once, so there are always a few untried tins that go unopened for a while. I wouldn't say I forgot about them, but Blackwoods Flake, a few G.L. Pease blends (like Fillmore), some Peter Heinrichs and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls are gathering dust until I finish some other tins.

packages arrived today.

wow.

keeping in my mind that this is my first stab at an 'english' (i assume this would be classed as such).............i can already tell you that i like this.

my tastes are new to these types of things so i could use some help deciphering whats going on with this blend through the eyes of a amateur.

i was expecting strong smoke with a strong vitamin k prescence. the kind that sends the wives running or so i have read. i detected the 'smokiness'. if i think back i would guess the latakia was smoked using a 'pine' or some related wood. then slightly peeking through i catch a musty flavor almost incense (but in a good way) like, but its barely there occassionally letting you know its there. beggining of bowl through mid. i think i percieve a light 'peppery' taste? the perique i assume? but its not overly powerfull to this new palate either. i like it. i like it all.

being new, i can already tell you i could use more latakia & perique!

wife thought it was a lighter smoke too, said room smells better than the university flake ive been blaring with lately.

flakes were in good shape (i like flakes ya know) and a little moist, ill need to let some air for later this eve i think. better order some more of this one, as ive found a new friend.

natural honest leaf, with some natural honest flavors. this i can hang with!

im calling on the bretheren to help de-code this for me. are the flavors i described from the correct leaves or do i have some of them mixed up?

quiet night this eve indeed.

thanks for any further experience and insight.

and thanks to mr pease

camoham

I have smoked a tin of it, and really like it. Nice full bodied smoke with a slightly sweet component. I find it a bit bitey at times, but then I tend to puff fast and find all of the GLP blends a little bitey.

Smoker99":3gtglukl said:
I have smoked a tin of it, and really like it. Nice full bodied smoke with a slightly sweet component. I find it a bit bitey at times, but then I tend to puff fast and find all of the GLP blends a little bitey.
this one is really growing on me.

enough that im seriously considering a pipe purchase exclusively for this and other similar english blends! im thinking a pete 999

im really surprises that i like this style/type of tobacco.

now i have to try westminster and the Falcon has me curious as well. there just arent enough evenings in ones lifetime!

the tin note is wild and in your face for this newcommer, but the smoke is complex and smooth!

camoham

*camoham":1c9bm2vw said:
Smoker99":1c9bm2vw said:
this one is really growing on me.

enough that im seriously considering a pipe purchase exclusively for this and other similar english blends! im thinking a pete 999

im really surprises that i like this style/type of tobacco.

now i have to try westminster and the Falcon has me curious as well. there just arent enough evenings in ones lifetime!

the tin note is wild and in your face for this newcommer, but the smoke is complex and smooth!

camoham
Good to hear Camo!!! :cheers: :cheers:
Hope you has a good bday!