GLP Sextant

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshpipes

Reaction score
Smoking my first bowl of this stuff right now and WOW is it tasty! Moisture was perfect right out of the tin(which I was surprised and delighted by). The latakia seems to be taking the lead with the orientals mostly adding spice to the profile. There's a complex sweetness to the blend, probably attributed to the rum and Kentucky leaf. I'm also experiencing a lot of richness and depth overall.

There is a review written pre-release on pipesmagazine.com that is worth reading. I've got to agree, this blend is unlike anything I've tried before.

Here's the PipesMagazine.com review: Sextant Review

Just finished bowl #1. Smoked down to nothing but ash. This is excellent stuff to be sure!

I'm glad to hear it's different. So many armchair critics were whining and bleating like sheep about how everything Pease has put out has been the same. Maybe there's some merit to that, but I back Greg up 100%, and doubt any naysayers could do a better job than he.

With that, I can't wait to get my hands on some, either through shameless begging or waiting my turn in two months when the calamity of tobacco dust settles and all the baboons are in their fig trees eating their armloads.

8)

Being an optimist, I ordered three tins of Sextant, glad the initial reviews are so positive. I've been waiting for a new pipe to come in so I can smoke it clean and enjoy two new things at once.

I rolled the dice and ordered two tins of it last week.

I am going to wait a while to try it though, I have way too many open tins at the moment.

I finally cracked my tin. It's one month birthday was just this past Sunday so it seemed like as good a time as any. I have to say I was a little concerned as I was overwhelmed with Latakia when I first opened the tin, but I was pleasantly surprised by the sweet Virginia flavor upon first light. I know its never a good idea to try a new blend in a new pipe, but I couldn't help myself. I had a new Bjarne calling my name. My first thought was that I didn't let it dry long enough, but after a few minutes and an extra match or two it started burning nicely. About halfway through I started to notice the rum, though mostly in the room note. So far I really like this one. I can't wait to see how it smokes once the tin has been open for a few weeks. I'll also be ordering a few more tins for the cellar, because I suspect this will be a completely different animal in a year or so.

Kudos Mr. Pease, you did it again.

Dave_In_Philly":njeh3qmr said:
I finally cracked my tin. It's one month birthday was just this past Sunday so it seemed like as good a time as any. I have to say I was a little concerned as I was overwhelmed with Latakia when I first opened the tin, but I was pleasantly surprised by the sweet Virginia flavor upon first light. I know its never a good idea to try a new blend in a new pipe, but I couldn't help myself. I had a new Bjarne calling my name. My first thought was that I didn't let it dry long enough, but after a few minutes and an extra match or two it started burning nicely. About halfway through I started to notice the rum, though mostly in the room note. So far I really like this one. I can't wait to see how it smokes once the tin has been open for a few weeks. I'll also be ordering a few more tins for the cellar, because I suspect this will be a completely different animal in a year or so.

Kudos Mr. Pease, you did it again.

Totally agree.

I tried a sample of this at the Chicago pipe show and loved it. So I loaded up with the stuff at Cornell & Diehl's display. I am in the minority because I personally don't care for most of Pease blends but this one hit the button. It's tough to keep lit unless I dry it out for a couple hours first but is a fine blend, maybe it's the rum that does the trick. Two thumbs up for this blend.
:cheers:

Aw, thanks, guys! After reading these wonderful comments, an otherwise miserable day really turned around!

BTW, I've added Sextant to my own personal Summer Smoking Triumvirate, along with Key Largo and Union Square. I like the fuller lat mixtures when it's cooler, but these three seem to really do it for me in the heat.

docwatson":kqtzs2j4 said:
I am in the minority because I personally don't care for most of Pease blends but this one hit the button.
I'm part of that same minority, so I'm thinking maybe I should pick up a in of Sextant now.
Might just work for me... 8)

I also seemed to have backed off the Lat a touch since it's been getting warmer. I'll have to dive into Sextant again, since it's summer. Maybe it's the rum? *shrug*

Funny, you guys talking about being a "minority," when I seem to constantly read Internet fodder about guys not understanding why GLP bacca is a big deal. About half the stuff I've tried that Greg makes didn't do it for me, but a few really made fireworks go off. It's a good thing he didn't just make one blend and stop there, or we'd all be in trouble. :lol:

I've recommended Key Largo twice to guys at my Tinder Box who are serious about cigars and also smoke pipes. I informed them I had never tried it, but they came back to me and shook my hand, thanking me. Does that make me a bad person? :lol: I should probably get a tin of Key Largo sometime soon. 8)

This is on my list. I just got an order of Meridian and Barbary Coast today. I'm anxious to try Meridian. Already love Barbary Coast. I am a new fan of Greg.

UberHuberMan":s1usopkv said:
Smoking my first bowl of this stuff right now and WOW is it tasty! Moisture was perfect right out of the tin(which I was surprised and delighted by). The latakia seems to be taking the lead with the orientals mostly adding spice to the profile. There's a complex sweetness to the blend, probably attributed to the rum and Kentucky leaf. I'm also experiencing a lot of richness and depth overall.

There is a review written pre-release on pipesmagazine.com that is worth reading. I've got to agree, this blend is unlike anything I've tried before.

Here's the PipesMagazine.com review: Sextant Review

I agree wholeheartedly. I think the reason I like GLP so much is due to the richness, depth of flavor and complexity remind me of my beloved habanos. THAT, my friends, is a good thing.